First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
I'm glad you found the fix. I love an easy solution but the dealer should have taken care of this when you brought it in. I don't think I would do any more business with him. :cool:
Sponsored

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Hi,

I’ve been browsing this forum for several mos leading to picking up a new ranger last wknd. I’ve enjoyed the truck, but I’m just curious y’all’s thoughts on my tailgate. Passenger side is flush, but driver side is like 1/2 inch off. Lots of daylight through the gap. Called the local dealership and was made to understand that this is “normal” on the new rangers? Haven’t seen that much else on tailgate alignment on here. I’ve seen quite a bit on hood and door fitting. Regardless, guess I’m calling their body shop tomorrow.

is the build quality just absolute crap on these new rangers? I’ve posted some pics as well. Thanks advance for any insight or opinion.

8FCDC87A-A861-4C40-A796-60908A540785.jpeg
24854511-D257-4ECE-9BC4-13B1B80560A2.jpeg
My truck look exactly like that. It is simply the top bar is in towards the truck cab too far not allowing the second part of the latch too catch. Move the metal bar mounted on the truck to you about a 1/4 in and gate will close flush

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
My truck look exactly like that. It is simply the top bar is in towards the truck cab too far not allowing the second part of the latch too catch. Move the metal bar mounted on the truck to you about a 1/4 in and gate will close flush
What bar are you talking about? Thanks.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You probably need a special tool or two. Block of wood, hammer, crowbar. The rule is if it wont go then force it. :rockon:

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Honestly I’m gonna let it ride. After hearing the responses on this forum, If I close it with some authority it’s flush and fine. If something happens down the road then I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
What bar are you talking about? Thanks.
The bar that the latch catches. Loosen that bar it is two torx heads, move that bar towards you about a 1/4 of an inch slightly retighten it and shut the tailgate. If gate is flush then open gate and fully tighten bar.

IMG_1779 (1).jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The bar that the latch catches. Loosen that bar it is two torx heads, move that bar towards you about a 1/4 of an inch slightly retighten it and shut the tailgate. If gate is flush then open gate and fully tighten bar.

IMG_1779 (1).jpg
Hi David,

Thanks! Was going to take a similar pix but wife's honey Doo got in the way....

My take is that the tailgate was on the secondary latch and not the primary latch. If you gently push the tailgate until it clicks you are on the secondary latch and if you push harder it clicks home on the primary latch...same as the doors...

If not, I am dismayed that this misalignment made it out of the assembly plant if not the simple fact it was only on the first latch of a two part process.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT

IMG_1779 (1).jpg
Thanks for taking the time to explain what you meant (with pics). I will prob try that Bc it seems simple enough.

And to add to what Phil is saying...if I gently close it, then the “1st” latch catches via the pics I put at the top of the page. (With the big overhang) After that latches, I’ve tried to push/bump further after this 1st latch, but no go. I have to close it with authority for it to catch the 2nd latch. This is only on the driver side. Passenger side seems fine, both latches.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I have this gap on both sides of my tailgate. All 3 sides actually. You an see the bed in the gap. The bottom has a big gap too. Where all the dust and water comes in for people with bed covers. But the tailgate closes solid and flush.

20210421_211726.jpg

20210421_211313.jpg

Last edited:

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Hi David,

Thanks! Was going to take a similar pix but wife's honey Doo got in the way....

My take is that the tailgate was on the secondary latch and not the primary latch. If you gently push the tailgate until it clicks you are on the secondary latch and if you push harder it clicks home on the primary latch...same as the doors...

If not, I am dismayed that this misalignment made it out of the assembly plant if not the simple fact it was only on the first latch of a two part process.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Nope you got it it, takes about two minutes to address and fix. I understand the Honey doo list I will probably be dead before mine is Finished:LOL:
Sponsored