Sync3 Issues

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Tried everything mentioned in this thread. Taking it to the dealer next week.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Does anyone on this board have contacts at Ford to let them know of these issues?
You'll just get a boilerplate letter something like ..."The issue you are having is of great concern to the Ford Motor Company. However, due to the volume of correspondence we receive globally, we cannot answer every one..."

The best way is to have a dealer look at it and reflash if necessary.

Or just wait awhile. This has got to be affecting a few Ford APIM programmers as well, and they'll upload an OTA update eventually.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
I haven't had your issue, but I use a USB drive for my music and it takes a while to index when I start the truck. So if I turn on audio too soon I get FM radio. Maybe your audio source is not immediately ready as well. When this happens I use the voice input and say play USB.
I do the USB thing as well. with Sync 2 it never remembered where it left off if I was playing all 3k songs shuffled, a lot of times I would have to restart it and it ALWAYS played the same damn songs in the same damn order, drove me crazy.

My Ranger has sync 3 in it and it is a lot better. so far I am over 300 songs in, and it has always remembered where it left off and has not repeated at all. It is frustrating that it won't start the USB consistently when I restart the truck. sometimes it picks it up right away and others it gives me a message "Music not found" and switches to Sirius. I give it a moment or two and switch it manually to USB and it picks up where it left off. I was going to come in here and see if there was a delay we could program in with FORESCAN to give it time to find the usb before it started playing.. I never turn the radio off before shutting the truck off.

GreeneSayle

First Name
Greene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Fuel Sales
I’m having a similar issue that started about a week ago. In the past if I was listening to an audiobook via Bluetooth (my normal entertainment) before and turned off my truck to say get gas or something it would continue playing the book on the audio screen when started my truck again. About a week ago all of a sudden I got back into my truck and it was on the home screen playing FM preset one. It does that 9 out of 10 times now. Turn the truck off on the audio screen with Bluetooth as the source and restart the truck to the home screen with FM as the source. Drives me crazy. Tried the battery reset with no results.

GreeneSayle

First Name
Greene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Fuel Sales
If you find a solution please let me know.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Service tech concluded that a hardware component of the sync system needed to be replaced - part on order
Just throwing parts at it. It’s the software not the hardware.

If you’re under warranty that’s great, but for those of us past warranty… no way am I going to believe that all of a sudden our hardware is going bad at the same time.

Not only that, all functions work (radio, satellite, all screen controls, etc.). It’s only this glitch that has crept in.

I’m not bothering to waste a dealer’s time (and since not on warranty it be on my dime too). The dealer network is completely NOT setup to handle Sync issues (or there may be the extremely rare knowledgeable one).

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Just throwing parts at it. It’s the software not the hardware.

If you’re under warranty that’s great, but for those of us past warranty… no way am I going to believe that all of a sudden our hardware is going bad at the same time.

Not only that, all functions work (radio, satellite, all screen controls, etc.). It’s only this glitch that has crept in.

I’m not bothering to waste a dealer’s time (and since not on warranty it be on my dime too). The dealer network is completely NOT setup to handle Sync issues (or there may be the extremely rare knowledgeable one).
I am under warranty and the dealer reloaded the software and problem was still there.

I tried every solution recommended by this website to no avail.
Not going to drive around with a black screen

Remix

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercrew
Mines doing the same, it's at the dealer for the same problem 3 times. They replaced the radio module and reloaded software. They don't have a clue

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
I started having the problem last week as well:
  • Starting up in FM (which I never listen to) rather than last played
  • Selecting XM/Sirius opens to some SID screen rather than last played
  • Default screen display mode keeps reverting to auto when I have it set to night
  • Screen went black while driving back from Illinois, restarted about 30 seconds later
  • Edit add: Wifi login to home network keeps being lost requiring logging back in
Everything is updated. Real annoying. At this point I plan to wait it out to see what happens.

Last edited:

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I started having the problem last week as well:
  • Starting up in FM (which I never listen to) rather than last played
  • Selecting XM/Sirius opens to some CID screen rather than last played
  • Default screen display mode keeps reverting to auto when I have it set to night
  • Screen went black while driving back from Illinois, restarted about 30 seconds later
Everything is updated. Real annoying. At this point I plan to wait it out to see what happens.
That is exactly what mine is doing. This has to be software with so many people having the same issue. Does anyone on this board have a decent contact with Ford?

_N8_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Add me to the list. It definitely ain't hardware. Been trying all sorts of stuff. Haven't found anything that sticks yet.
Sponsored