Sync/Radio Problems

Cclittle72

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Tremor
Hi everyone, I've had my '22 Lariat less than a week, and am already experiencing Sync issues. I would have thought they had this @#$% corrected by now with this being the 4th year of production.
I went on my first longish trip yesterday (1.5 hours each way) and on the way there the screen felt very hot to the touch, but everything seemed to work ok. On my way back, the screen was cool to the touch, but the volume control got stuck on "Prompt Volume" and nothing I did seemed to fix it... until I pulled over, turned off the truck and waited for everything to shut down. Then when I started again, the volume control worked, but I could not change the XM station. I could switch to FM, etc, but the XM screen was unresponsive.
Is this a known thing? When I got it home, I did a check for updates, but it is current.
I just came out of a Wrangler JLUR, and while the screen didn't look as pretty, that shit just worked. No problems in 3.5 years. I'm a Ford fan, but come on - why doesn't Sync just work properly?
Sponsored

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Hi everyone, I've had my '22 Lariat less than a week, and am already experiencing Sync issues. I would have thought they had this @#$% corrected by now with this being the 4th year of production.
I went on my first longish trip yesterday (1.5 hours each way) and on the way there the screen felt very hot to the touch, but everything seemed to work ok. On my way back, the screen was cool to the touch, but the volume control got stuck on "Prompt Volume" and nothing I did seemed to fix it... until I pulled over, turned off the truck and waited for everything to shut down. Then when I started again, the volume control worked, but I could not change the XM station. I could switch to FM, etc, but the XM screen was unresponsive.
Is this a known thing? When I got it home, I did a check for updates, but it is current.
I just came out of a Wrangler JLUR, and while the screen didn't look as pretty, that shit just worked. No problems in 3.5 years. I'm a Ford fan, but come on - why doesn't Sync just work properly?
Thatā€™s happened to me a few times. You can press the On/off/volume control and the fast forward button and hold until the screen goes blank (ten seconds or so). That will do a soft reset and the radio volume should be controllable and Sirius XM starts to function.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Might used to do some of that until the last update and hasnā€™t done it since.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine does random stuff at times but has yet to repeat the same weird thing twice. Never the volume thing.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Just had the sync screen go blank...while USB connected via android auto. Unresponsive to radio controls but the backup camera was still functional. Reinstalling Ford pass and android auto and a soft reset of the sync (power and fast forward) cleared the issue. Not sure it was necessary to reinstall the apps but there was a newer version of Android auto waiting on phone .. running latest version of sync ...

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I found this post searching for blank screen. Usually when I plug my phone it, it defaults to Google maps. Now all I get is a blank screen, with the little circle at the bottom left. Is this what you had? Reinstalling Android Auto fixed it?

Last edited:

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Might used to do some of that until the last update and hasnā€™t done it since.
This^

The XM going dead is a known issue. I believe it has been corrected with an update, as I have not experienced the XM buttons going dead in a long time. You should be able to find a thread here about this issue.

If you have not already, make sure your head unit is set to update and has been connected to your home wi-fi. My guess is your truck still has an older build of Sync from the factory. It should update over time.

If your head unit locks up (eg for the XM buttons going dead), you do not need to pull over and turn off the truck. You can force a restart of the head unit by pressing the Volume / Power knob and the "next track" button at the same time for 5 seconds. The SYNC unit will power down and restart. See here.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Mine only does it when the phone is plugged in. And even then, if I hit the home button on the steering wheel it defaults back to the main screen. It looks like it is just AA related.
Sponsored