Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Alright I consider myself more than moderately mechanically inclined so there's that. Techy.... not even average yet.....

My touchscreen system (Sync3) keeps freezing up on me, typically at startup.

Thought, opinions, advice?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Same man. ...same

I have had to perform that reboot daily.

Tyler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I've had it happen maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks. It seems to happen when plugging in my phone. The phone will keep switching from charging to not charging and the touchscreen will freeze. Just hold the power and skip forward button for a few seconds and the system will reboot.

Les Postnikoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I've had it happen maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks. It seems to happen when plugging in my phone. The phone will keep switching from charging to not charging and the touchscreen will freeze. Just hold the power and skip forward button for a few seconds and the system will reboot.
I also have to reboot my system several times per week. Does Ford know about this?

Bobobots

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4, Oxford White
Hello,
Was looking for the proper thread for my current issue and decided this was the best one to resurrect.

Heck of a time for this to happen as my dealership is closed due to the pandemic; but while installing my dashcam, not sure if I touched something I wasn't supposed to but I was successful with the dashcam install.
Problem now is that my Sync Screen is just black. I read in a few threads to try to reset it via the volume button and skip - but no luck. Looking through the fuse section in the manual, I wasn't sure what I could have possibly touched as none of the fuses nearby #37 relate to Sync or the Audio.

Currently when I turn on the vehicle My instrument cluster (steering wheel notifies me of No Audio, No NAV, No Phone Detected) . Everything such as the climate control, heated seats, and even the cigarette lighter charger works except for the USB ports in the front. So I'm thinking everything relating to SYNC is kaput. Looked at all possible fuses (none are blown) and running out of ideas.

I'm still looking for my Blue Driver ODB II sensor (lost while changing from my old vehicle to my new Ranger) to see if I can investigate but would appreciate any ideas from some tech savvy tinkerers out there.

Bobo, who's Ranger smile has slightly faded. I'm missing the B&O Sound.

DsDad

First Name
DsDad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SC Oxford White
I don't have this problem, but back when my modem stopped working and a sync reset didn't help, I decided to disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it sit for a half hour. Don't know if that length of time is necessary, but after dinner, I reconnected the battery and my modem was back. I had to add the truck to Ford Connect again - don't recall if I had to input station presets again. I am now on Sync 3.4 latest, 200xx, have been for around a month, and no issues.

Bobobots

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Dave, I tried the negative removal of the battery and left it for a few hours. Still hasn't come back. Until the Dealerships are open, I may have to check each fuse, even the ones I think are not related at all to the sound system, data link, or SYNC.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
I use a USB primarily for my tunes--MP3 format, and occasionally, have had the clock gain two hours-- First thought it was "daylight saving time " adjustment, but definitely not the case--Then, came back from a two hour hike, and the audio system wouldn't recognize the USB at all--Was stuck on radio only, and the Voice Command feature also would not work--Shut down engine/remove key/open door--tried restart--audio unit came up, but displayed "double bars" in the center, and no control of system--Third time was a charm, as system came back up, and function was normal-

Hold the Seek up and power buttons on the FCIM for 10 seconds to reboot the APIM.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/software-issues-on-sync.184129/

Damnedifiknow

First Name
Stacer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hello,
Was looking for the proper thread for my current issue and decided this was the best one to resurrect.

Heck of a time for this to happen as my dealership is closed due to the pandemic; but while installing my dashcam, not sure if I touched something I wasn't supposed to but I was successful with the dashcam install.
Problem now is that my Sync Screen is just black. I read in a few threads to try to reset it via the volume button and skip - but no luck. Looking through the fuse section in the manual, I wasn't sure what I could have possibly touched as none of the fuses nearby #37 relate to Sync or the Audio.

Currently when I turn on the vehicle My instrument cluster (steering wheel notifies me of No Audio, No NAV, No Phone Detected) . Everything such as the climate control, heated seats, and even the cigarette lighter charger works except for the USB ports in the front. So I'm thinking everything relating to SYNC is kaput. Looked at all possible fuses (none are blown) and running out of ideas.

I'm still looking for my Blue Driver ODB II sensor (lost while changing from my old vehicle to my new Ranger) to see if I can investigate but would appreciate any ideas from some tech savvy tinkerers out there.

Bobo, who's Ranger smile has slightly faded. I'm missing the B&O Sound.
I have a similar problem to yours, though I don't think as extensive. After my camera install everything was fine. Then suddenly the one touch power window doesn't work (still need to look at that fuse though I didn't touch it) and as of yesterday evening my Sync screen is black but still works, if you know where to touch. I get no errors and it acts fine, it's just blacked out. If I turn the volume up it displays on the screen, same with temperature, etc. Came here looking for a solution as well.

Edit: Started the truck this AM and the screen is back to normal...?

Last edited:

rausa64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I own two vehicles with Sync 3 (Ranger and Escape). Frozen, very erratic behavior on both. The only commonality was both were connecting to my home WiFi. Outside home area with no WiFi connection, perfect operation. Ever since removing WiFi connection, both performing properly.
Can't trace where problem is so until a software solution is provided, am not allowing WiFi access.
HTH,
Rich

Damnedifiknow

First Name
Stacer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I own two vehicles with Sync 3 (Ranger and Escape). Frozen, very erratic behavior on both. The only commonality was both were connecting to my home WiFi. Outside home area with no WiFi connection, perfect operation. Ever since removing WiFi connection, both performing properly.
Can't trace where problem is so until a software solution is provided, am not allowing WiFi access.
HTH,
Rich
I'll try that as well. I had a 2018 Escape with Sync 3 before getting the Ranger and had no problems with it at all. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Bobobots

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...Then suddenly the one touch power window doesn't work (still need to look at that fuse though I didn't touch it) ...
If your one touch power window still isn't working, you can reset it. Resetting starts at 35 seconds.