Sync 3 constantly frozen

blackc2004

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 1978 Ford Bronco; 1971 Ford Torino
Sync is really getting under my skin. EVERY TIME I get in the car, turn it on and then go to change a radio station. It won't change stations until I press the "PRESET" button multiple times then try to change.

Anyone else having this problem? How can I make it work right?!
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Sync is really getting under my skin. EVERY TIME I get in the car, turn it on and then go to change a radio station. It won't change stations until I press the "PRESET" button multiple times then try to change.

Have you done a master reset? How to Master Reset Sync 3 to Setup/Activate Ford Pass App

Have you updated the Sync 3 Firmware to the latest version?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Can you switch stations using voice vs the screen? Could be a radio issue as well. Like the others noted, update to the latest software and check if that addresses it.

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My truck did it once, took it to the dealer they found no codes. I have updated with a thumb drive formatted to "exFat" and now have Sync3.3 build 19052 (i believe the build number is correct) and no issues. Go to the owner pages and follow the instructions on updating Sync.

mntbighker

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
My truck did it once, took it to the dealer they found no codes. I have updated with a thumb drive formatted to "exFat" and now have Sync3.3 build 19052 (i believe the build number is correct) and no issues. Go to the owner pages and follow the instructions on updating Sync.
I didn't use exFat, and I just completed the USB update. With 18295 I could never do an over the air update.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired

Mine does this for the first minute or two upon starting. I have done 2 Master Resets and after both resets the problem has gone away for a couple days. It's not a hardware issue, entirely a software issue. I have the current version of SYNC installed since my truck left the factory...

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine does this for the first minute or two upon starting. I have done 2 Master Resets and after both resets the problem has gone away for a couple days. It's not a hardware issue, entirely a software issue. I have the current version of SYNC installed since my truck left the factory...
When it's happening, give a simple voice command like a station name. If it responds back that it's tuning, and nothing happens, there's an ACM/AHU issue vs a SYNC side issue.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
When it's happening, give a simple voice command like a station name. If it responds back that it's tuning, and nothing happens, there's an ACM/AHU issue vs a SYNC side issue.
Good to know! I try that... :)

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I've had SYNC freezing issues in the past upon start up. Resetting SYNC by holding the next track button and power button for a few seconds help temporarily solve the issue. I took it a dealer to get a reflash and I haven't had any issues since.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know! I try that... :)
Anytime I ran into some issue where voice said tuning and it didn't, or tuned to something other than what it responded with, it was an ACM/AHU issue. So, could be some SYNC side thing, but this test might point elsewhere. Video shows the buttons responding to the touch which also made me wonder about the ACM/AHU side if that's the same thing you see. If it's SYNC lag usually you would see delayed response to touch.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Well I tried this and it responded correctly and immediately...

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I tried this and it responded correctly and immediately...
Score one for voice. OK, so back to being a bit stumped. When you touch the buttons on screen, do they react like they are being pressed? Do you hear the beep tone (if you have it turned on)?

OP
OP

blackc2004

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 1978 Ford Bronco; 1971 Ford Torino
Score one for voice. OK, so back to being a bit stumped. When you touch the buttons on screen, do they react like they are being pressed? Do you hear the beep tone (if you have it turned on)?
Mine act like they are being pressed. They change color. But nothing happens on the audio. It's super frustrating.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired

Mine act like they are being pressed. They change color. But nothing happens on the audio. It's super frustrating.
Same here... But after a minute or so they act normal...
Sponsored