Cpc101
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manager, Web Development
Hi all,

I've had my truck in to the dealer a couple of times in the past month for some stutter/shudder at low RPM, any speed. It's like a misfire but no codes. There is also a pronounced 'clunk' with accelerator on/off similar to a bad universal joint but visual inspection proves that is not it.

(2019 Lariat, 47,000 miles, purchased May 2023)

First round: dealer reported no issue found - told them to drive through town slowly. Found and applied the cold stutter TSB.

Second round: issue cleared but 24 hours later the stutter is more pronounced. Checked in and found to have misfire on all cylinders, carbon deposits, changed plugs and boots.

Drove 815 miles to ferry a Jeep tub, with no issues to report other than poor MPG.

Seems that this is not a normal thing at this milage. Would the PO's trailering habits cause this? BLIS was setup for an 18' trailer when purchased but could have been hauling feathers or a bulldozer.
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Do
Hi all,

I've had my truck in to the dealer a couple of times in the past month for some stutter/shudder at low RPM, any speed. It's like a misfire but no codes. There is also a pronounced 'clunk' with accelerator on/off similar to a bad universal joint but visual inspection proves that is not it.

First round: dealer reported no issue found - told them to drive through town slowly. Found and applied the cold stutter TSB.

Second round: issue cleared but 24 hours later the stutter is more pronounced. Checked in and found to have misfire on all cylinders, carbon deposits, changed plugs and boots.

Drove 815 miles to ferry a Jeep tub, with no issues to report other than poor MPG.

Seems that this is not a normal thing at this milage. Would the PO's trailering habits cause this? BLIS was setup for an 18' trailer when purchased but could have been hauling feathers or a bulldozer.
Question for you, When you drive does it hunt for gears and shift very firmly? The clunk sounds similar to the transmission issue a lot of us have had, harsh delayed shifts, hunting for gears, eventually gears stop working entirely, sometimes you will hit gas and engine will rev but it won't move (like revving in neutral) then it will slam into gear.

Does any of that sound familiar to you? Also is it rough when downshifting?

OP
OP
Cpc101

Cpc101

First Name
Cpc101
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manager, Web Development
Wow. No, none of that, thankfully.

There are some other oddities that I've prioritized a little lower. For instance, at times it will accelerate quickly coming to or out of a stop; like a small lunge. There is a chance this clunking could be misinterpreted as a hard shift. Mostly is seems like a bad u-joint. Could be the pinion gear has too much play in the ring gear.

I don't drive much and hope to keep this thing a long while. I want to try to ferret out the glitches before the 60k powertrain time runs out.

Overall, the truck is great. I'd like it to stay that way.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hi all,

What gas do you use?: Top Tier and/or regular or premium?

You have more going on, but at least related to carbom deposits...maybe use better gas?

My '16 Subaru Forester with their 2.0L DI turbo is prone to carbon deposits that cause LSPI. That engine the knocking until I stopped using supermarket gas (even their premium) and switched to Shell, Chevron, etc premium. I also run a bottle of techron fuel cleaner through my three vehicles with DI engines a tank before oil changes. DI engines are so prone to carbon deposits.

OP
OP
Cpc101

Cpc101

First Name
Cpc101
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manager, Web Development
What gas do you use?: Top Tier and/or regular or premium?

You have more going on, but at least related to carbom deposits...maybe use better gas?
Generally, 87 per the owners manual. I've got basically one option for gas locally similar to a Wawa or Speedway. I've run 93 thru it as well but didn't make a difference other than a slight drop in MPG. I'll run a few tanks of 93 thru now that the plugs are changed and deposit free. Thanks

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
If you have not already done so - I'd shotgun the EGR sensor on it and see if that helps. I did mine at 27ish K miles. It wasn't even bad yet, but sort of like throwing new plugs in after old ones wore out - you forgot how smooth it should be. The one with the hoses/bracket on it costs a bit more but makes the installed stupid easy. Ford even has clamps that keep the constant tension things open until you pull the ring. If you want to save some money you can get just the sensor and deal with replacing the clamps.

Big threads on here with part numbers, tips on install, etc.

Also; I think I threw mine up on freebies. It's not totally shit-mixed but could be used to see if that is the problem. I'd be happy to send that thing to you for the price of shipping if you want to see if using my old semi eh one helps. If it does help - then you know you need a new one as mine isn't 100% but wasn't to the cause a shutter stage. Just a .. lack of smoothness... that was noticeable after I got the new one on. It is small; I could get it in a small flat rate box via USPS.

... unless the wife tossed it, but she generally doesn't throw parts out. Not knowing if they are new or old, etc.

bRaptor

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT tremor
This happened to me on my 3.5 ecoboost. The gap on the spark plugs exceeded the tolerance. I replaced them and it ran fine afterwards.

OP
OP
Cpc101

Cpc101

First Name
Cpc101
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manager, Web Development
Thanks! Much appropriate the offer!

I'll look into the threads to size up the process / associated costs and decide what to do.

Jefferylhenry

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Investor
I would replace the EGR sensor. Pull the top motor cover and it’s located right side top of the engine. Fixed my issues and I had the same dealer BS. It doesn’t throw any codes and the dealer had it 2 time for almost 3 weeks. The sensor is $57.00 and took about an hour most of which was cutting the clamps. Boom problem gone.

OP
OP
Cpc101

Cpc101

First Name
Cpc101
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manager, Web Development
So are EGR and DPFE sensors synonymous?

EGR is a valve not a sensor but I get how we all refer to stuff by the easiest name. 😊

Also, is the Ford part recommended or aftermarket since the Ford one clearly fails.

Thank you all for the advice!

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Last edited:
OP
OP
Cpc101

Cpc101

First Name
Cpc101
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manager, Web Development
Thanks!

Those clamps look remarkably similar to PEX clamps are they 1/2" ID?

OP
OP
Cpc101

Cpc101

First Name
Cpc101
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manager, Web Development
Thank you all. I've ordered the part. Well see what happens.

I did search for codes and tested in neutral to determine if the clunk and stutter were related. They appear to be independent issues. Under no load it still stutters at 1,300 to 1,500 RPM.

Also, I did find the below code, wondering now if my clunking is transfer case related.

Screenshot_20231005-085853.png

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Thank you all. I've ordered the part. Well see what happens.

I did search for codes and tested in neutral to determine if the clunk and stutter were related. They appear to be independent issues. Under no load it still stutters at 1,300 to 1,500 RPM.

Also, I did find the below code, wondering now if my clunking is transfer case related.

Screenshot_20231005-085853.png
That code is for the Switch and or Circuit Wiring - (Rotary Knob)
Does it switch between 2-HI, 4-Hi and 4 Low?
And if it does how noisy is the transition?
This may be the source of your Clunk; it might be getting lost as to what drive mode it is supposed to be in and self-shifting between 2WD and 4WD (High) if it was 4WD Low, you would definitely know it.

And just curious here, since adding the Terrain Mgmt. is a popular mod, if not part of OEM package
Does the TM switch function, and can you select drive modes (viewed on IPC)?
1696514969622.png

OP
OP
Cpc101

Cpc101

First Name
Cpc101
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manager, Web Development
Thanks @airline tech no other noises outside of what is considered "normal."

Terrain management is OEM and displays properly.

I engage my locker every day so I don't spin the gravel getting out of my road. It's a Pretty steep grade. It's had some trouble staying engaged a couple times after turning it off. Probably unrelated.
Sponsored