2019 - Rust?

ML_CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Hi all, I've been looking to purchase a Ranger (Lariat trim) and was looking at 2019 models this weekend, as there are a few in my area (Bay Area, CA). I was almost ready to purchase a 2019 model, but when I started looking at the underside, I noticed a lot of rust, especially for a car that has been in a dry climate in California. Some of it was superficial on the frame, and one area seemed to penetrate. This particular truck was built in Mar 2019.

I've done a quick search of the net and seen some rust issues noted on the bed, but was curious if these issues are tied to any particular year/month builds? It almost seemed like it was from salt/road grime on the chassis when it left the factory. I ended up looking at various 2019's on the lot with different invoice/build dates and some had rust on the frame, but none that penetrated the frame like this one. The drive train had exposed parts that were rusting too. The limited number of 2020's were fairly clean. The sales manager was of course telling me the warranty was good, but I told him in no way am I leaving the lot with a car like this and I walked away.

Quite disappointing to see this, but anyone have further info on this issue? Did they change process/coating? I just expected a lot better from Ford.

Thanks!
Mike

IMG_4654.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

IMG_4651.jpeg

IMG_4659.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Cali may be dry, but that salt air along the coast will cause rust...

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Yikes - wonder if they did test drives on the beach...

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Seeing this just reinforces my reasoning for taking my ordered truck to a Krown Rustproofing dealer as soon as I was able to (1015 miles). They apply a high temperature/high pressure penetrating oil spray/fog to the undercarriage and inside all of the hollow panels. It does leave a pretty drippy mess for a few days, but I shouldn’t have any rust showing up.
I will, however need to have the process repeated annually.

OP
OP

ML_CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The truck evidently was in Central California, then came to San Jose on a dealer trade. Certainly in no way coastal. I’m just surprised for a 1yr old vehicle with 120 miles on it.

OP
OP

ML_CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
some of those parts are bare metal..oxidation happens as we sleep...quietly corroding away those little iron atoms.....
im not surprised if it sits and nothing abrades against it. you will see this...

but be real...drive that thing, get it muddy and thrash it ....you'll never give rust a chance to become visible like that.

if you're anal about corrosion, go to Krown as suggested, or buy a barbie car. those things can be pretty rad rides..
The bare metal stuff is expected. The frame corrosion is not for a new car.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Don't forget these trucks are built in Deerborn Michigan. Seeing as it was built in March of 2019 it is not outside the realm of possibility that it picked up some salt mist off the road while being transported between there and California.

Deleted member 1634

Don't forget these trucks are built in Deerborn Michigan. Seeing as it was built in March of 2019 it is not outside the realm of possibility that it picked up some salt mist off the road while being transported between there and California.
Seems entirely possible certain areas of the frame were nicked/damaged prior to or during loading on the transport truck, then getting washed in road grime and Great Lakes winter for the first part of the trip and the rest of the trip and final destination (especially for how long it's been sitting) in nicer warmer weather to really get that oxidation going. If they had cleaned it properly right away at delivery and a few times thereafter to really get that salt grime off it probably would be fine for most of it's life in internal CA. Either way, as someone who has seen the worst things rust can do to a vehicle, that doesn't look bad at all, and is very easily cleaned up and resealed with no future issues, if done properly. That's what we do every summer here. If you really want that specific truck, it wouldn't be that hard or costly to "fix it up". Could maybe get them to knock some off the price for the rust.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Don't they leave the assembly plant by rail ?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Don't they leave the assembly plant by rail ?
They might have, but there's still points at which they are loaded onto a transport truck to get to the designated dealership. Plus this truck was a dealer transfer and if it's within a certain distance they literally drive it from one location to the other. So there's no telling what it was driven through on it's way to the final dealership.

The dirt caking spray on the frame is consistent with having been driven in a wet environment and if it was at a dealership in a location that salts the roads that would also account for the rust and light corrosion. As @the1mrb stated you may be able to get a decent price reduction because of this and get the under body cleaned and treated to take car of the minor rust.

OP
OP

ML_CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Thanks all for the input. Much of it is indeed superficial and I'm sure they could address it and probably drop the price. It really seems like this is an issue from initial transport from Michigan as the area it came from in California doesn't use salt (we don't know what that is here).

I'm just trying to see if there was issues with particular builds that anyone knew of or systemic problems from early trucks,etc. Certainly a concern when you might drop $40k on a truck.

I did find another post like this on a different forum too. https://www.ranger-forums.com/2019-...137/significant-frame-rust-new-ranger-159733/

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks all for the input. Much of it is indeed superficial and I'm sure they could address it and probably drop the price. It really seems like this is an issue from initial transport from Michigan as the area it came from in California doesn't use salt (we don't know what that is here).

I'm just trying to see if there was issues with particular builds that anyone knew of or systemic problems from early trucks,etc. Certainly a concern when you might drop $40k on a truck.

I did find another post like this on a different forum too. https://www.ranger-forums.com/2019-...137/significant-frame-rust-new-ranger-159733/
The truck you pictured at the dealer in California wouldn't be overly concerning to me. Disappointing for a new truck? Sure, but probably not anything that will be detrimental for the life of the vehicle, especially if it spends most of its life in California (and definitely nothing a few cans of fluid film wouldn't take care of). But as to whether it's the truck for you is entirely up to you.

The truck pictured in that other forum definitely has issues. Looks like it's been abused in a salty environment, but honestly hard to tell without all the background info or history.

I will say, my truck has survived a Michigan winter (I live about 10 miles from the Wayne Assembly Plant where the Rangers are assembled), and it doesn't look bad at all. I did apply a layer of fluid film when I purchased the truck last summer, and applied another layer in the fall. I realize it's always a losing battle here in Michigan, but I don't see rust being a concern for several years yet, but it will definitely require me being proactive to keep it clean.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The truck you pictured at the dealer in California wouldn't be overly concerning to me. Disappointing for a new truck? Sure, but probably not anything that will be detrimental for the life of the vehicle, especially if it spends most of its life in California (and definitely nothing a few cans of fluid film wouldn't take care of). But as to weather it's the truck for you is entirely up to you.

The truck pictured in that other forum definitely has issues. Looks like it's been abused in a salty environment, but honestly hard to tell without all the background info or history.

I will say, my truck has survived a Michigan winter (I live about 10 miles from the Wayne Assembly Plant where the Rangers are assembled), and it doesn't look bad at all. I did apply a layer of fluid film when I purchased the truck last summer, and applied another layer in the fall. I realize it's always a losing battle here in Michigan, but I don't see rust being a concern for several years yet, but it will definitely require me being proactive to keep it clean.
Hi Bennett,

Isn't it a blessing that Detroit area sits on a salt dome.... When we bought our new Alfa Motorhome at General RV in Flat Rock, I promised the Alfa it would never see road salt. We we left for Arizona in November of 2005 in snow flurries I was hoping we could get South and West in a hurry which we did... My days of dealing with rusted fastners, corroded door panels etc are now a distant memory...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored