LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
What's the trick with this damn thing?

Got it out to attempt removing the grill for the new smoked Ford emblem. Failed at removing the grill but successfully managed to install the emblem with the access created after pulling the upper deflector.

Broke the damn thing trying to get it back in, holy shit clearly you must have to assemble some of this other shit around it because sandwiching it back in doesn't work.

Replacement plastic bullshit part is on the way but anybody have a tip for getting the new one in without busting it?

Getting it in and under the slots on each side where it bolts in, behind the grill, under the latch... is like freaking impossible.

Better to just get the grill off and snap that back into place after or what?
Sponsored

ranger7424

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
What's the trick with this damn thing?

Got it out to attempt removing the grill for the new smoked Ford emblem. Failed at removing the grill but successfully managed to install the emblem with the access created after pulling the upper deflector.

Broke the damn thing trying to get it back in, holy shit clearly you must have to assemble some of this other shit around it because sandwiching it back in doesn't work.

Replacement plastic bullshit part is on the way but anybody have a tip for getting the new one in without busting it?

Getting it in and under the slots on each side where it bolts in, behind the grill, under the latch... is like freaking impossible.

Better to just get the grill off and snap that back into place after or what?

Stage 3 Motorsports has a decent video on replacing the grill that covers most if not all of the steps:

OP
OP
LawnMM

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
I saw that but nada on getting it back in. I found one video, it may have even been this one, where the comments basically said "it (upper deflector) doesn't go back in that fast at all"

And several seemed to suggest just installing the deflector BEFORE snapping the grill back in. So that may wind up being my approach I'll remove the grill 🙄 so I can put a $28 plastic deflector back.

Jeez.

OP
OP
LawnMM

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
Taking it out, easy enough. Getting it back in is where the cursing began. Do you happen to remember how you got it back in? Was it before installing the grill or were you able to wriggle it into place after somehow?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
i had it out twice i believe , once to change the grille (Ford Performance) and then again to add the 4 lights ...
20231116_153306.png

You talking about the big piece with the sticker on it ?

OP
OP
LawnMM

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
No, the deflector that looks like a plastic shelf underneath that

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Ok , I did cuss that one I think , I remember it wedging in the core support with a foam seal or something, I think I just flexed it in the middle , which makes it a little shorter, then just worked and cussed it in place (I can be VERY colorful) if you did this in cool/cold weather , that may have made it more brittle , mine was pretty warm and all the hot air from my profanity laced tantrum most likely kept it pliable... I do like me some F Bombs , got that from Mom I guess...

fjwlobo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCREW
If I remember correctly; I removed the cover over the latch (a bolt and 1 or 2 plastic push pins ???). From there I made a few choice expletives for the people who designed this thing as I manuvered it back in. I'll look at it tomorrow to see if I can remember what else I may have done. I already have the top off as I've been working on some lighting.

OP
OP
LawnMM

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
Ok , I did cuss that one I think , I remember it wedging in the core support with a foam seal or something, I think I just flexed it in the middle , which makes it a little shorter, then just worked and cussed it in place (I can be VERY colorful) if you did this in cool/cold weather , that may have made it more brittle , mine was pretty warm and all the hot air from my profanity laced tantrum most likely kept it pliable... I do like me some F Bombs , got that from Mom I guess...
and here I thought you were getting on me about my language 🤣

I was like, "If you can get this done without swearing there's a trick I haven't learned!" 🤨🤔

There is a latch cover that you pull first, one bolt one plastic push pin thing

It's the pieces on the sides giving me fits getting it to slot into that with the grill on is 😡🤯🥵

I'll give it another go when the new one arrives, hopefully with a better plan

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Ok, I remember this, I dealt with that when I did my (LED Delete) Halo to LED swap and fix.

It is stiff and does not flex, I referenced this video when I did it last year and I do remember it fighting me.

If you leave the upper attach bolts for the grille out, it will give you more room, as seen in the video.

It may help you, but it does not show install of it.

2019 Ranger XLT to Lariat Headlamp Swap - YouTube

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I just did this last week. You can either fight it and bleed, or pull the grille. No need to release the bottom tabs and completely remove the grille. You will have to remove the two bolts at the top and the release the side tabs - then “fold” it forward enough. At that point, just release the few extra tabs along the bottom and make life easier.

OP
OP
LawnMM

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
That's the route I'm leaning towards, those tabs are finicky as hell. I'll dig up a stubby flat blade and just pull the grill.

I've heard pushing the blade in and twisting to apply pressure to pop them loose can work? Anybody do it that way or just downward pressure? I don't want to break tabs on a $500 grill trying to replace a $28 air deflector 🙄
Sponsored