First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT,18 CX5, 08 Corvette, Zink19/Yamaha,
Occupation
Fabricator/designer
Well, y'all were close (or so it seems). As I was leaving work I did a push/pull on all the cables at the battery and the problem disappeared. I'm going to do a thorough cleaning of the terminals and see what happens. I do agree, though, that at 5 years old the battery is probably coming to the end of its life.

(edit) There's no obvious corrosion but, from experience, I know that means nothing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jamie Jack

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The Battery Management System is controlling that, but there are other issues that could cause it besides a bad battery. Short jaunts without sufficient recharge time is one of them. BMS should also shut off the stop/start at this point. Read the manual.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Yeah, your battery is on it's last legs. There is one thing you could try witch might help and that is to reset your BMS chip. It's the little square item on the negative post of your battery. Do the following:
- Turn the truck on, do not start.
- Flash your headlights six times
- Flash your brake lights three times
- Wait for the battery symbol on the dash to blink (about 10-15 seconds).
If it doesn't work the first time try, try again.
In truth, this isn't likely to help, but it's worth a try and MAY give you a few more months, but your battery is just hanging on. If you desire to make it last as long as humanly possible, this would be a good time to purchase a starter pack and put it under the back seat. You don't want to be in the middle of no where and hear only clicking when you attempt to start your truck without a backup.

briansco

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Engineer
FYI. I was getting these same messages on my 2019. What I found is that my negative terminal was very loose. Not for sure why but I pulled it off and cleaned it and reinstalled the cable. I then tightened the terminal and the warning message did not reappear. No new battery was needed.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Yeah, your battery is on it's last legs. There is one thing you could try witch might help and that is to reset your BMS chip. It's the little square item on the negative post of your battery. Do the following:
- Turn the truck on, do not start.
- Flash your headlights six times
- Flash your brake lights three times
- Wait for the battery symbol on the dash to blink (about 10-15 seconds).
If it doesn't work the first time try, try again.
In truth, this isn't likely to help, but it's worth a try and MAY give you a few more months, but your battery is just hanging on. If you desire to make it last as long as humanly possible, this would be a good time to purchase a starter pack and put it under the back seat. You don't want to be in the middle of no where and hear only clicking when you attempt to start your truck without a backup.
You forgot to mention that after all that, you have to exit the truck via the passenger window, hop around the truck, backward, on your left foot, counter-clockwise, while spelling "jambalaya", backwards, 3 times.
If no positive response, repeat....

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
If Ford simply put a "bad battery" 👎 🔋 message on the screen , most people would simply go buy a battery at Wherever auto parts , but if all the crazy 🤪 stuff comes up on the screen , your gonna take it in to the dealer most likely, sneaky , but kinda smart too ...

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
@Grumpaw. You forgot standing on one foot, counter clockwise rotating three times on an odd numbered day, but even numbered month ... and on Leap Year, which is fortunatley here.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
If Ford simply put a "bad battery" 👎 🔋 message on the screen , most people would simply go buy a battery at Wherever auto parts , but if all the crazy 🤪 stuff comes up on the screen , your gonna take it in to the dealer most likely, sneaky , but kinda smart too ...
Then the message would say, "contact your Ford dealer for battery replacement".

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Is your truck stock?

If so, has your auto stop/start been acting up or not working at all?

This was my first sign that my battery was failing.

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
Truck cranks normally, no indication of a battery issue (other than above)
if you don’t want to get stuck somewhere get a new battery. It’s 5 years old…

4521dln

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger super crew xlt
Occupation
PDI tech Trailside RV
So if a new battery is required. You need to go to the dealer to reset the computer and scan the battery ?
Sponsored