Stop Sale Issued For Certain 2020 Jeep Gladiators Over Potential For Rear Driveshafts To Fracture

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Jalopnik: Stop Sale Issued For Certain 2020 Jeep Gladiators Over Potential For Rear Driveshafts To Fracture

Fiat Chrysler filed documents with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration dated Tuesday, recalling 3,427 Gladiators over the potential for their rear driveshaft to fracture. The Gladiator debuted in late 2018 as a Jeep Wrangler-style pickup for the 2020 model year, and as of June, FCA reportedhaving sold 7,252 Gladiators in the U.S. thus far.

The recall, documents posted by NHTSA said, is for Gladiators built between Dec. 15, 2018 and June 25 of this year. The estimated number of the nearly 3,500 Gladiators with a defect is only 5 percent, but likely because of the nature of the recall, a stop sale was issued on affected Gladiators until a fix is complete.

Trucks involved in the recall could experience a driveshaft fracture, courtesy of some grease left off during assembly.

Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Typical Chrysler/Fiat...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Jalopnik: Stop Sale Issued For Certain 2020 Jeep Gladiators Over Potential For Rear Driveshafts To Fracture

Fiat Chrysler filed documents with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration dated Tuesday, recalling 3,427 Gladiators over the potential for their rear driveshaft to fracture. The Gladiator debuted in late 2018 as a Jeep Wrangler-style pickup for the 2020 model year, and as of June, FCA reportedhaving sold 7,252 Gladiators in the U.S. thus far.

The recall, documents posted by NHTSA said, is for Gladiators built between Dec. 15, 2018 and June 25 of this year. The estimated number of the nearly 3,500 Gladiators with a defect is only 5 percent, but likely because of the nature of the recall, a stop sale was issued on affected Gladiators until a fix is complete.

Trucks involved in the recall could experience a driveshaft fracture, courtesy of some grease left off during assembly.

Hi RD

Seriousness would indicate the front of the driveshaft fails which can result in the rear of the vehicle polevaulting. Rear of the shaft failing is loss of motive power and a bit of noise...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi RD

Seriousness would indicate the front of the driveshaft fails which can result in the rear of the vehicle polevaulting. Rear of the shaft failing is loss of motive power and a bit of noise...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
And then driving home in FWD mode if you have a 4x4. I wonder if that's even possible anymore, I know it was in the older Rangers :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And then driving home in FWD mode if you have a 4x4. I wonder if that's even possible anymore, I know it was in the older Rangers :)

Hmmmm....good question... We actually had a Motorhome Manufacturer that wanted a front wheel drive Ranger platform, so we did exactly that for a development vehicle. 4x4 with no rear driveshaft. Manufacturer when belly up so we just scrapped the prototype...Ya win some, Ya loose some.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hmmmm....good question... We actually had a Motorhome Manufacturer that wanted a front wheel drive Ranger platform, so we did exactly that for a development vehicle. 4x4 with no rear driveshaft. Manufacturer when belly up so we just scrapped the prototype...Ya win some, Ya loose some.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I drove my 1993 with a V8 and 35's for a week solid while I was working on relocating the center carrier bearing (in the winter in Michigan after it grenaded). It was fine, even on the giant tires and crazy motor. :)

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
At least Chrysler's QC is consistent... You havent really worked at an auto supplier if you havent gotten caught up in helping Chrysler fix a problem that really should never have happened...

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
When I was a kid, I saw a drive shaft front-connection failure on a small stake-side dump truck. The entire rear end of the truck jumped up into the air. It was hilarious at the time, but I imagine not very funny to the driver.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hey @AzScorpion rember this one? Bunch more where this came from lol.

Well we've already had a few members here with their share of driveshaft/rear end issues. :wink: Plus the way it's going the Bronco will top them all in no time.:lipssealed:
Sponsored