First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Good so now ask for a raise. They will understand. Jeepers know about upgrades. I easily sunk $11,000 over 7 years in mine.
Oh yeah the blue rubicon is decked out. Rolling on 37s is a good chunk of change itself
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Did you use trail control at all? Does your rig have a locker rear end? Ether or both does have a big impact on your performance

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you use trail control at all? Does your rig have a locker rear end? Ether or both does have a big impact on your performance
No and no. I’ve ordered a TM switch and will use for scan to activate it. My ranger isn’t the FX4 since I plan on adding my own parts and it was a struggle to find a lariat FX4 anywhere near me that was a better deal than what I was getting for my non FX4 lariat

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hey guys,

Figured I'd share my first offroad trip in my stock lariat here instead of uploading a bunch of photos to the "What did you do with your ranger today" thread.

One of the guys had a drone so there are some cool air shots. Myself, Two Jeeps and a Subaru Crosstrek went to Rausch Creek PA for some light offroading since it was my first time. We were expecting rain but got quite a bit of snow. Off the trial it was probably about knee high (I'm 5'7/5'8) and some of the less traveled trails were still pretty deep. The stock Ranger handled it like a champ. Never got stuck although I did have to do the ole backup and try again trick a few times. Also the turn the wheel side to side over and over till you get traction (idk there is a term for that). The trip further confirmed that a lift is the first priority and new tires. The two jeep guys are pretty experienced so it was a nice learning experience for me.

Attaching some photos and a drone video that the Subaru guy made.

Two of the files were too big so here are some Google Drive links:

Drone Vid:

Copy of DJI_0225-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0274.jpg

Copy of DJI_0282.jpg

Copy of DJI_0289.jpg

Copy of DJI_0298.jpg

Copy of DJI_0405-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0411-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0421-HDR.jpg

EDIT_Rausch_1.jpg

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_004.jpeg

File_005.jpeg
Its always nice to get a feel of your truck before making changes to it!!

Since you are looking at doing a lift I highly suggest going with the Old Man EMU lift by ARB. I have it and im impressed. Also you should be able to fit 275/70-18 Firestone Destination XT tires on the stock wheels with that lift and no major modifications.

Hope this helps.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Since you are looking at doing a lift I highly suggest going with the Old Man EMU lift by ARB. I have it and im impressed. Also you should be able to fit 275/70-18 Firestone Destination XT tires on the stock wheels with that lift and no major modifications.

Hope this helps.
Hi Chris,

Sage words....know what you started with before mods.

Back Story.....Few people have or will have the experience of sliding behind the wheel of a new ground up prototype vehicle. Usually it is not a positive experience but is necessary to show us where we have to work...NVH, Ride and Handling, for example. We need a baseline from which to develop the vehicle... First are the Gross "Oh Shits". Then as the refinement process eliminates these, we concentrate on the next level. Feedback to the design engineers...and Management. Next level incorporates the findings. Again...slide behind the wheel...better? Usually but not always. Still work to be done. And so it goes. through about three levels of prototypes. Culmination of the program is the Sign Off for Production drive....this is where the hard work pays off or flags a bit more work. Starting off with Rolling POS to refined ready for production is and can be very satisfying where the "tough problems" were understood and resolved. Great memories and experiences. Fraught with difficulties sometimes, but worth it when the sales figures are published and verify we done good!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer

Hope this helps.
I've been looking at quite a few different options for lift. I have seen the great response from ppl on this forum about the EMU lifts. I was hoping to go to 3.5 or 3" though. I haven't seen any EMU lifts that are over 2.5

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've been looking at quite a few different options for lift. I have seen the great response from ppl on this forum about the EMU lifts. I was hoping to go to 3.5 or 3" though. I haven't seen any EMU lifts that are over 2.5
The reason they are set at 2.5 lift is due to the fact if you go any higher you have to do "heavy" modifications like a diff drop up front. Also just going from factory 30 inch to 32 inch tires adds am extra inch of lift by itself.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
The reason they are set at 2.5 lift is due to the fact if you go any higher you have to do "heavy" modifications like a diff drop up front. Also just going from factory 30 inch to 32 inch tires adds am extra inch of lift by itself.
Thats true. I know the 3.5" kits usually include replacement UCAs (trying to staying away from the ones that don't and just have spacers in the front). The price of new coilovers hurts but I think I may go that route. Also was hoping to get 33s or 34s on there ;]

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thats true. I know the 3.5" kits usually include replacement UCAs (trying to staying away from the ones that don't and just have spacers in the front). The price of new coilovers hurts but I think I may go that route. Also was hoping to get 33s or 34s on there ;]
The size I mentioned earlier is a 33.2 inch tire and should fit with the Old Man EMU lift. Hopefully that will help out. Also no UCA is required for install and alignment!!!

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
The size I mentioned earlier is a 33.2 inch tire and should fit with the Old Man EMU lift. Hopefully that will help out. Also no UCA is required for install and alignment!!!
Those tires do look pretty awesome, looks like plenty of grip. I think its when you get over 3inches you want a beefier UCA otherwise you run the risk of breaking stuff once you get off the street

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Do you have the heavy load one?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have the heavy load one?
I currently have 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 standard load but my plan is to go with 275/70-18 Firestone Destination XT wich is an LT 10 ply.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I currently have 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 standard load but my plan is to go with 275/70-18 Firestone Destination XT wich is an LT 10 ply.
Sorry I meant the OME heavy load lift. I guess so since the standard load is 2"

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gotcha, im running the standard kit. I dont have any extra load at thus time so that is why I didnt get the heavy-duty kit.

Also both lift the same. The heavy kit is designed for front bumper with winch and an extra 1200 lbs in the back as a constant.
Sorry I meant the OME heavy load lift. I guess so since the standard load is 2"

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Gotcha, im running the standard kit. I dont have any extra load at thus time so that is why I didnt get the heavy-duty kit.

Also both lift the same. The heavy kit is designed for front bumper with winch and an extra 1200 lbs in the back as a constant.
Right I may get a winch so I can do some more intense stuff and have that safety blanket
Sponsored