Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey guys,

Figured I'd share my first offroad trip in my stock lariat here instead of uploading a bunch of photos to the "What did you do with your ranger today" thread.

One of the guys had a drone so there are some cool air shots. Myself, Two Jeeps and a Subaru Crosstrek went to Rausch Creek PA for some light offroading since it was my first time. We were expecting rain but got quite a bit of snow. Off the trial it was probably about knee high (I'm 5'7/5'8) and some of the less traveled trails were still pretty deep. The stock Ranger handled it like a champ. Never got stuck although I did have to do the ole backup and try again trick a few times. Also the turn the wheel side to side over and over till you get traction (idk there is a term for that). The trip further confirmed that a lift is the first priority and new tires. The two jeep guys are pretty experienced so it was a nice learning experience for me.

Attaching some photos and a drone video that the Subaru guy made.

Two of the files were too big so here are some Google Drive links:

Drone Vid:

Copy of DJI_0225-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0274.jpg

Copy of DJI_0282.jpg

Copy of DJI_0289.jpg

Copy of DJI_0298.jpg

Copy of DJI_0405-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0411-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0421-HDR.jpg

EDIT_Rausch_1.jpg

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_004.jpeg

File_005.jpeg
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

Figured I'd share my first offroad trip in my stock lariat here instead of uploading a bunch of photos to the "What did you do with your ranger today" thread.

One of the guys had a drone so there are some cool air shots. Myself, Two Jeeps and a Subaru Crosstrek went to Rausch Creek PA for some light offroading since it was my first time. We were expecting rain but got quite a bit of snow. Off the trial it was probably about knee high (I'm 5'7/5'8) and some of the less traveled trails were still pretty deep. The stock Ranger handled it like a champ. Never got stuck although I did have to do the ole backup and try again trick a few times. Also the turn the wheel side to side over and over till you get traction (idk there is a term for that). The trip further confirmed that a lift is the first priority and new tires. The two jeep guys are pretty experienced so it was a nice learning experience for me.

Attaching some photos and a drone video that the Subaru guy made.

Two of the files were too big so here are some Google Drive links:

Drone Vid:

Copy of DJI_0225-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0274.jpg

Copy of DJI_0282.jpg

Copy of DJI_0289.jpg

Copy of DJI_0298.jpg

Copy of DJI_0405-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0411-HDR.jpg

Copy of DJI_0421-HDR.jpg

EDIT_Rausch_1.jpg

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_004.jpeg

File_005.jpeg
Wow, great pics, man! Nice to know that the stock 4X4 could get through all that!

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Nice ... Not sure I'm gonna go "Off" off road with mine ... but, I do plan on some winter travel, and between 20 and 100 miles in any direction, we have 9k-10K mountains ... I definitely need 4x4 ... just not sure I need "all the add ons". Good to know the stock Lariat is up to the task if you go carefully.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Did the air dam get beat up in all that?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yup stock tires too. They were pretty slippery. It became a meme of the guys asking me if it was in 4Lo every 20 mins
Can confirm stock tires suck at snow and ice... How did it feel overall? Did you run out of ground clearance, power, etc?

What thing do you think you want to replace first (besides the obvious tires).

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wow, great pics, man! Nice to know that the stock 4X4 could get through all that!
Thanks! I was pretty impressed what I could get it through

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did the air dam get beat up in all that?
Surprisingly no. It acted like a mini plow for sure sometimes but I looked at everything underneath when I got home and after a wash and everything looked fine. No bending, maybe a few scratches on the skid plate but that’s it’s job

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Can confirm stock tires suck at snow and ice... How did it feel overall? Did you run out of ground clearance, power, etc?

What thing do you think you want to replace first (besides the obvious tires).

Power felt great. There were just times that it felt like not much of the tire was on the ground. I aired down to about 20 psi and probably should have gone a smidge lower but was worried about the tire coming off the rim. Lift will be the first. I centered it once or twice

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Nice ... Not sure I'm gonna go "Off" off road with mine ... but, I do plan on some winter travel, and between 20 and 100 miles in any direction, we have 9k-10K mountains ... I definitely need 4x4 ... just not sure I need "all the add ons". Good to know the stock Lariat is up to the task if you go carefully.
Slow and steady. Unfortunately we didn’t get pics going up some of the steep inclines but even on that it did great. Definitely had to back up and pick a better line a few times but I never needed the winch like the Crosstrek did ;)

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Beautiful pics Steve. Looks like a fun day was had by all.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
....I aired down to about 20 psi and probably should have gone a smidge lower but was worried about the tire coming off the rim.....
I have consistently gone to 15 off-road fun on 31, 33, & 35” tires. Definitely 18 should be no problem.

Nice trip post. ??
Always good to go learn with a Rubi around.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have consistently gone to 15 off-road fun on 31, 33, & 35” tires. Definitely 18 should be no problem.

Nice trip post. ??
Always good to go learn with a Rubi around.
Yeah that would have helped.

Lol yeah and the rubi is my boss and her husband so now they know where my paycheck goes

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Yeah that would have helped.

Lol yeah and the rubi is my boss and her husband so now they know where my paycheck goes
Good so now ask for a raise. They will understand. Jeepers know about upgrades. I easily sunk $11,000 over 7 years in mine.
Sponsored