First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Photographer
How long had the truck sat without starting before this incident?
The truck had been parked about 1 hour after a 4 hour drive. I am thinking both my wife and I pushed our remotes at the same time as we approached the truck and somehow caused an electrical reset that took 5-10 minutes to complete..
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The truck had been parked about 1 hour after a 4 hour drive. I am thinking both my wife and I pushed our remotes at the same time as we approached the truck and somehow caused an electrical reset that took 5-10 minutes to complete..
Thanks for the quick reply, I was wondering about whether it might be a result of the sleep mode which activates when in storage.
I can see it was nothing like that.
Thanks for sharing, there is always something more to learn every day.

I remember when Chevy had a theft deterrent which would shut the truck down for 15 minutes if the wrong key was inserted, more than a few people called a tow truck only to find that the truck started right up after being towed.

Last edited:

Ajbaxter

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Photographer
Thanks for the quick reply, I was wondering about whether it might be a result of the sleep mode which activates when in storage.
I can see it was nothing like that.
Thanks for sharing, there is always something more to learn every day.

I remember when Chevy had a theft deterrent which would shut the truck down for 15 minutes if the wrong key was inserted, more than a few people called a tow truck only t find that the truck started right up after being towed.
I actually called Ford Assist and they had no idea about the problem. As I was walking toward the truck I was pushing the unlock on the remote to determine the effective distance. Might be that pushing unlock more that a couple of times within a certain time period shuts down the electrical system as some sort of safety feature?

1knuckle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Powerplant Production Supervisor
Hello, Names David. I joined the forum to see if any of you others have had the same issues I having. Bought a new 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 in march. Loved it for the first month and have been in a pickle ever since. I have the demon intermittent no start issue going on. Been to the dealer 3 times now. Had it towed the first time and they confirmed it would not start so they changed a start relay. They thought it was the fix but a couple weeks later same story. I opened the hood, pulled the start relay they said they changed and looked at the contact points. Didn't see anything wrong or burnt. Put it back in and it started right up. No issues for awhile, ordered the same relay online from a ford original parts supplier and figured I would keep it in the glove box in case I wasn't close to the tow truck next time. Heavy sarcasm! Than it failed to start again, swapped out the relay and poof it started. I figured ok so I pulled my relay out, put the original back in and was gona call for the tow so they could figure out why it failed. Well guess what, it started again with the old relay. Took the vehicle to the dealer here in phoenix that I bought it from and they could not duplicate it in 3 days. I was told to take the truck back until it was hard broke and then don't mess with it. At this point I opened a case with Ford Motor so it is all documented. Well 2 days ago I drive to work, pickup starts fine ( I cringe every time I press the start button thinking it wont start) and when I get off work it wont start. Call for a tow from the airport and 2 hours later Im at the daler and it rolls off the tow truck. The service advisor said the tech gets in and the vehicle starts right up. Unbelievable. So I am caught in a bad circle. The vehicle is at the dealer, they can't work on it unless it fails, which may take awhile since they are just starting it in the same spot and then shut it off. Currently it starts each time. Sorry for the long winded post but I am almost maxed out. Any ideas?

stkorta

First Name
ST
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hello. I just joined this forum after purchasing a new 2020 Ranger Lariat FX4. I have only owed if for 2 weeks and it's already in for service.
1) HSA - "Hill Start Assist has Failed."
- They can't find any error codes and they can't replicate it ... so, most likely nothing will get done.
2) Would not start on cold mornings - you can hear a click sound coming from the engine bay (ie: starter), but no cranck.
I left the vehicle at the dealer and they were able to replicate the issues the following day:
- A new starter was ordered ... waited 2 days for the only starter in all of Canada to be shipped.

New vehicle issues on certain models are common and expected (especially with Ford). What is not expected and is very concerning is the following:
- When the technician removed the old starter they found a bolt/nut in the casing which had done damage to the flywheel and something on the transmission (not sure what yet).
- And to top it all off ... No parts are currently available.

Is this a one-off Issue? Has anybody encountered similar issues? And what are my options?

Thx

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hello, Names David. I joined the forum to see if any of you others have had the same issues I having. Bought a new 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 in march. Loved it for the first month and have been in a pickle ever since. I have the demon intermittent no start issue going on. Been to the dealer 3 times now. Had it towed the first time and they confirmed it would not start so they changed a start relay. They thought it was the fix but a couple weeks later same story. I opened the hood, pulled the start relay they said they changed and looked at the contact points. Didn't see anything wrong or burnt. Put it back in and it started right up. No issues for awhile, ordered the same relay online from a ford original parts supplier and figured I would keep it in the glove box in case I wasn't close to the tow truck next time. Heavy sarcasm! Than it failed to start again, swapped out the relay and poof it started. I figured ok so I pulled my relay out, put the original back in and was gona call for the tow so they could figure out why it failed. Well guess what, it started again with the old relay. Took the vehicle to the dealer here in phoenix that I bought it from and they could not duplicate it in 3 days. I was told to take the truck back until it was hard broke and then don't mess with it. At this point I opened a case with Ford Motor so it is all documented. Well 2 days ago I drive to work, pickup starts fine ( I cringe every time I press the start button thinking it wont start) and when I get off work it wont start. Call for a tow from the airport and 2 hours later Im at the daler and it rolls off the tow truck. The service advisor said the tech gets in and the vehicle starts right up. Unbelievable. So I am caught in a bad circle. The vehicle is at the dealer, they can't work on it unless it fails, which may take awhile since they are just starting it in the same spot and then shut it off. Currently it starts each time. Sorry for the long winded post but I am almost maxed out. Any ideas?
Missed this, did it turn out to be a starter assembly?

stkorta

First Name
ST
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Unfortunately I don't know yet ... I'm guessing they'll need to drop the motor/transmission to fix the chewed flywheel and transmission before they install the new starter. And, since parts are not available it could be sitting at the dealer for weeks. .... I'm trying to get Ford to buy it back, or at least trade it in for another one - but, we all know what their answer will be.

1knuckle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sorry to hear this again,, Mine started doing it at 2000 miles. It was at 2 different dealership total of 6 times in 11k miles. Pictures of it on a tow truck 4 times. I opened a case with Ford Customer Care and they were tracking it too. The last straw was similiar to yours at the light. I almost got smashed into from behind because everyone is looking at tgd light, Not expecting someone sitting still at the green light. I called Ford and said I was done,, declared it a Lemmon and Ford bought it back from me. I just bought a Jeep. It had been a sorry 10 months. Good luck to you. They never could figure out what was wrong with mine.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
The remote was just me trying to see if it would start via the computer. I was mostly trying using the start button.. and it usually works fine. This problem only occurred 3 times over 2 months. I made a service appt for thursday.. right now I'm pushing the auto stop-start button as part of the startup routine.

Weak battery could be an issue though.. I would just expect the problem more often. I do notice that it happened on at least 2 times on warmer days... could be a coincidence.

Shawn
If it happens again lift out the cup holder bottom and lay the fob you have with you flat on the bottom of the cup holder then try to use the push to start. I've proven to myself that a dead or missing fob battery will intact start the truck (and wife's Fusion) if you do the procedure exactly. This ties into what Phil stated that it could be a bad fob battery or fob itself. The cupholder has some sort of RFI receiver that allows the truck to start even if the fob can't send the signal.

Even if it's the starter at least you've narrowed it down via the fob

Last edited:

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
"All the more reason I am glad I disabled auto start/stop via FORScan the day before last"

you make it sound like you're afraid of having trash thrown at you at a stop light.
But be realistic, the firetruck problem and its cause, and the purpose of start/stop are not even close to being comparable.

good story tho.
I would care less about trash lobbed at me with a dead truck, I would not want rear ended again, especially at speed. It sucks even when you brace for impact. Stopped at a light in a chevette and rear ended by a city bus , stopped at a stop sign and rear ended in my F150 by a beat up f150 and working a personal injury crash on an icy road and hit by a pizza delivery driver while in a Charger.

JimB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jamesbeckergalleries.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Art Director
Went to unlock my 2019 Ranger XLT today with my remote and no response. My wife then tried her remote with no response. Used the key to unlock the truck and attempted to start the truck with the key. Entire electrical system was dead. No lights, no noise, no nothing - completely dead. Even door locks and all remote functions dead. After about 5-10 minutes of panic, the truck came back to life. Not sure why it happened but now the Ranger has lost my trust as dependable. Any ideas or similar electrical problems?
I have a 2020 XLT with just over 3000 miles and the same mystery "dead truck" just happened to me today. I drove across town, about 30 minutes, for something. Drove back, another 30 minutes, and left the truck in the driveway. Like Ajbaxter, when I went out to the truck, about an hour later, it was completely dead. Both remotes would not work, no lights, nothing. Got a neighbor to bring his truck over for a jump. But before we did anything I opened my door and noticed that the dash was lighting up again. It turned over like there had never been a problem. Took it to the dealer's "quick lane" and they couldn't find any problem. No codes were in the computer.

It seems that this is not an isolated problem with the Rangers - both '19s and '20s. Would really like to know what to do do resolve this. Like others have said, who wants a truck they may or may not start at any given time.

1knuckle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
I have a 2020 XLT with just over 3000 miles and the same mystery "dead truck" just happened to me today. I drove across town, about 30 minutes, for something. Drove back, another 30 minutes, and left the truck in the driveway. Like Ajbaxter, when I went out to the truck, about an hour later, it was completely dead. Both remotes would not work, no lights, nothing. Got a neighbor to bring his truck over for a jump. But before we did anything I opened my door and noticed that the dash was lighting up again. It turned over like there had never been a problem. Took it to the dealer's "quick lane" and they couldn't find any problem. No codes were in the computer.

It seems that this is not an isolated problem with the Rangers - both '19s and '20s. Would really like to know what to do do resolve this. Like others have said, who wants a truck they may or may not start at any given time.
Man, I sure hate to hear that, this is the beginning of uncertain times for you. I never knew if mine would start when I stopped for gas or went to work. 6 times to 2 different dealers and no fix. Keep track of everything, call customer care and open a case. You will need it documented when ford buys it back. Take pictures of it on the tow truck. Mine rode 4 times, 4 pictures. Took 10 months for the whole deal before it was over. Mine was a Lariat FX4. I bought a Jeep...

RunBeerFish

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Substation Electrician
Unfortunately I don't know yet ... I'm guessing they'll need to drop the motor/transmission to fix the chewed flywheel and transmission before they install the new starter. And, since parts are not available it could be sitting at the dealer for weeks. .... I'm trying to get Ford to buy it back, or at least trade it in for another one - but, we all know what their answer will be.
Mine received a new flywheel and starter when they replaced my transmission (it was leaking) at 1600 miles. They noticed the flywheel was bent and the starter failed during reassembly. I'm guessing the mechanic broke it somehow. Now I get a clunk sometimes when the starter disengages.

Bruce001

First Name
Not
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Hi. 2019 Ranger Lariat. Randomly won't Start. Need to play around a few min and it's starts again like nothing happened. Pushing start stop button, lock/unlock. start again...etc and surprisingly starts after a few tries. Service sitting on it for 2 weeks now. Not even a call. I'm wondering what are my options if they can't find the issue?

Bruce001

First Name
Not
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
3 weeks at Ford dealer. Still couldn't find the random not starting issue. :/
Sponsored