Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
After leaving the battery disconnected overnight, I went out to the truck yesterday morning and it started right up. I shutoff As/s system and unchecked "engine auto off" and drove back home never shutting off the engine. I will either drive it or tow it to Friendly Ford today to let their expert give it a try. This would rule out a mechanical problem, wouldn't it, Phil ?
Hi Shawn,

Sorry...late to the thread, but not necessarily as you found that the starter was the problem. I had a 1975 F150 that was diagnosed with a bad spot on the armature. Not sure this is your problem but I had the same thing...no start...then overnight no problem....like a slot machine, pull the lever and see what happens. Starter only stopped on the bad spot randomly. Replaced the starter, sent the old one back to GPD (General Parts Division) for analysis....yep bad spot on the armature.... GPD is Now FPSD...Ford Parts and Service Division...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Did you get a new starter assy., Shawn?
No, last visit to the dealer they couldn't get it to reoccur.. Next time it happens I'll be printing out this whole thread and bringing it with me

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi Shawn,

Sorry...late to the thread, but not necessarily as you found that the starter was the problem. I had a 1975 F150 that was diagnosed with a bad spot on the armature. Not sure this is your problem but I had the same thing...no start...then overnight no problem....like a slot machine, pull the lever and see what happens. Starter only stopped on the bad spot randomly. Replaced the starter, sent the old one back to GPD (General Parts Division) for analysis....yep bad spot on the armature.... GPD is Now FPSD...Ford Parts and Service Division...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, that was exactly what would happen to starters back in our day.. but once they were at the bad spot, it usually was done until you pushed the car some to move the starter some. This felt (and still does) like some connection in the assembly going bad.
Thanks for your input though, I think you catalyzed a discussion that seems to have found a solution

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
No, last visit to the dealer they couldn't get it to reoccur.. Next time it happens I'll be printing out this whole thread and bringing it with me
Shawn,
Phil, in another posting/thread, suggests a method/procedure, to generate a "concern number", allowing your repair to proceed/dealer assistance from Ford!!!

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tsb-19-2052-april-2019-build.6475/#post-119630

HI Rich,

File a complaint with Ford Customer Service. Generate a concern number. The the dealer has something to which they can charge their time and money... You will have to elevate this above the call center in the Philippines. Insist to talk to a US based Customer Service Rep.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

sidewinder

First Name
vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
After the dealer installed a new starter assembly into my Ranger , I have not had a single failure in over 2 weeks and about 150 start cycles. This is the best it has performed in 5 months. I am still considering the OBD Genie to defeat the AS/S system anyway......

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the follow up, Vic!!!! :like:

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I was told surrounding technology is the problem.
I do not have push button start on my Ranger but the 2019 Ranger manual has a section on page 54 that may help passive key backup position also on page 132 that directs back to page 54.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Levi

Not sure if you wanted to be on this post/thread???:giggle:
Mine does not have "push button" start either. Surrounding Technology? Did they supply you with supporting diagnostic codes, to support this "diagnoses"???

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Shawn,
Phil, in another posting/thread, suggests a method/procedure, to generate a "concern number", allowing your repair to proceed/dealer assistance from Ford!!!

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tsb-19-2052-april-2019-build.6475/#post-119630

It finally came back. This time won't start at tall. Was happy with that, as now they have something they can find.

Towed off to the dealer on Fri, they've given me a courtesy car.

I also told them about this site and the other people who had the same problem/same symptoms, and asked them to get in touch with upper level Ford people.

They only work half days now due to covid, but hope to hear from them today/tomorrow.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It finally came back. This time won't start at tall. Was happy with that, as now they have something they can find.

Towed off to the dealer on Fri, they've given me a courtesy car.

I also told them about this site and the other people who had the same problem/same symptoms, and asked them to get in touch with upper level Ford people.

They only work half days now due to covid, but hope to hear from them today/tomorrow.
Hi Shawn,

Sorry to see you have this problem, but at least the dealer will have to find the problem to get it started. Keep us posted on what they found!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi Shawn,

Sorry to see you have this problem, but at least the dealer will have to find the problem to get it started. Keep us posted on what they found!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Got the call yesterday, start assembly on its way..

Ajbaxter

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Photographer
Went to unlock my 2019 Ranger XLT today with my remote and no response. My wife then tried her remote with no response. Used the key to unlock the truck and attempted to start the truck with the key. Entire electrical system was dead. No lights, no noise, no nothing - completely dead. Even door locks and all remote functions dead. After about 5-10 minutes of panic, the truck came back to life. Not sure why it happened but now the Ranger has lost my trust as dependable. Any ideas or similar electrical problems?

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Went to unlock my 2019 Ranger XLT today with my remote and no response. My wife then tried her remote with no response. Used the key to unlock the truck and attempted to start the truck with the key. Entire electrical system was dead. No lights, no noise, no nothing - completely dead. Even door locks and all remote functions dead. After about 5-10 minutes of panic, the truck came back to life. Not sure why it happened but now the Ranger has lost my trust as dependable. Any ideas or similar electrical problems?
That's a scary one. My problem has not reappeared since Memorial day replacement of the starter assembly.

Give the dealer a call and report the issue..

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
How long had the truck sat without starting before this incident?
Sponsored