Start problem on 2019 Lariat..

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Love the truck, got it as a certified used vehicle in Dec.

Two times in the past I've had a situation where I would have driven somewhere, parked and locked the truck, came back, got in and pushed the button to start and nothing happened.

Power to electonics seemed fine. I tried a number of times to start stop (pushing the start button lit up the electronics, then pushing it again shut it down like stopping the vehicle) I got out and remote start didn't work either.

After waiting a minute or two, it started fine. I was going to call the dealership.. didn't have time yet.

But today.. while sitting at a stop light with the "start/stop" thing kicked off, when the light changed and I stepped on the brake the engine did not restart. I had to do the same wait for a couple minutes for it to start.

Parked, it didn't bug me, with the risk of it happening at a stop light, now I'm nervous to drive.

WIll be calling my friendly dealership tomorrow.. any idea what is happening? Feels like some sort of safety sensor going off..
Sponsored

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Wow, that's crazy. Keep us posted on what they find. I think I read a post on here that someone had a similar issue. May want to search the forums as well. That would suck not restarting in traffic. Plus one for the Auto start/stop eliminator for sure.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Two times in the past I've had a situation where I would have driven somewhere, parked and locked the truck, came back, got in and pushed the button to start and nothing happened.

Power to electonics seemed fine. I tried a number of times to start stop (pushing the start button lit up the electronics, then pushing it again shut it down like stopping the vehicle) I got out and remote start didn't work either.

After waiting a minute or two, it started fine. I was going to call the dealership.. didn't have time yet.

But today.. while sitting at a stop light with the "start/stop" thing kicked off, when the light changed and I stepped on the brake the engine did not restart. I had to do the same wait for a couple minutes for it to start.

Parked, it didn't bug me, with the risk of it happening at a stop light, now I'm nervous to drive.

WIll be calling my friendly dealership tomorrow.. any idea what is happening? Feels like some sort of safety sensor going off..

Hi Shawn,

Long shot but sounds like it maybe batteries in the remote? Cheap to replace and may be worth a try....JMO! I know my MKX warned my when the batteries were low... Would think the Ranger would do the same though...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi Shawn,

Long shot but sounds like it maybe batteries in the remote? Cheap to replace and may be worth a try....JMO! I know my MKX warned my when the batteries were low... Would think the Ranger would do the same though...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

The remote was just me trying to see if it would start via the computer. I was mostly trying using the start button.. and it usually works fine. This problem only occurred 3 times over 2 months. I made a service appt for thursday.. right now I'm pushing the auto stop-start button as part of the startup routine.

Weak battery could be an issue though.. I would just expect the problem more often. I do notice that it happened on at least 2 times on warmer days... could be a coincidence.

Shawn

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase

Hey Shawn,

Picked up my truck, in Aug--has currently 6500 miles on it--My truck did the same thing--intermittent "no start"--I had to shut off the "Auto Start/Stop system" to drive the truck into get repaired.--The fix for the problem, was to replace the starter assy.(had to be ordered, but only took two days to get the part) Dealership guys did a good job, and have currently, had no additional issues on this!:like:

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hey Shawn,

Picked up my truck, in Aug--has currently 6500 miles on it--My truck did the same thing--intermittent "no start"--I had to shut off the "Auto Start/Stop system" to drive the truck into get repaired.--The fix for the problem, was to replace the starter assy.(had to be ordered, but only took two days to get the part) Dealership guys did a good job, and have currently, had no additional issues on this!:like:
Thanks.. thats what I was hoping to hear. Happened again tonight. I have an appointment thursday morning at my dealer. It will be good to be able to say others have had the same problem.

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
"PIN POINT TEST .... STATES PCM UPDATE CHECK PCM SS INHIBIT PIDS REPROGRAM PCM OK CLEAR .." Service tech said needed a PCM reprogram. I'm an engineer.. someone will have to explain why a software change is needed if the hardware has not changed. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Use to do up-dates, to repair "glitches/code issues" all the time--Was one of the first things I would do after initial diagnoses-- Like our personal computers, updates will be available for better response, security issues, ect, and they are repaired, with a software patch/update. I've had a couple of these "glitches" on my own truck, involving the Sync system, with no update available! But overall, I'm very pleased with my new Ranger.
Let us know if your issue is resolved!!:clap:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Use to do up-dates, to repair "glitches/code issues" all the time--Was one of the first things I would do after initial diagnoses-- Like our personal computers, updates will be available for better response, security issues, ect, and they are repaired, with a software patch/update. I've had a couple of these "glitches" on my own truck, involving the Sync system, with no update available! But overall, I'm very pleased with my new Ranger.
It is the nature of software these days - it is easy to update to fix software issues, so less time is spent testing and validating it. Hence all the updates. Pre-internet, software was tested much more thoroughly because any required updates were expensive (having to produce physical disks, etc). Now it is as simple as downloading a patch file from the internet and applying it. Coupled with the increasing complexity of systems, updates are a fact of life we aren't getting away from anytime soon. And more and more functionality is being moved to software from hardware since it is cheaper to do it in software.

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Agreed.. did the latest sync update last night..that eliminated the content popup to connect to networking. I'm holding off on the map thing because I use android auto for nav using Waze. Ford never sent me the link for the map download

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Shawn

Have you had any further "start" issues????

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Allow me to add to this thread if you please.
The first four years of my career with the Honolulu Fire Department was spent as a "Fire Equipment Mechanic", I worked on all sorts of fire apparatus, including auxiliary equipment.
There is an in-famous low income high rise project in a really unsavory section of Honolulu where dumpster, trash and auto fires are common, all started by the occupants of this project.
Engine 32, apparatus # 108, either an '86 or '87 model year Seagrave was wrapping up an auto fire incident and were set to leave but the Cummings NTC 300 would not crank over.
Depending on the incident it is the Captain's option to request police backup on all alarms at this location, the Captain declined because it was a routine auto fire. In the meantime certain residents starting hurling all sorts of trash and garbage from their balcony's at the truck, such is the ignorance and stupidity of these people, recall "Escape from New York" for a similar situation.
I was the on-call mechanic for that weekend and as such was issued a service truck and a department radio which was required to be monitored 24/7. Desperate, the Captain radios fire dispatch on a channel reserved for emergencies and explains the situation of which I heard because of the alert tone when using that channel.
  • "Whats the problem Engine 32?"
  • "The engine won't start"
  • "Does it crank over"
  • "No"
  • "Were the battery's hydrometer readings OK this AM?"
  • "Yes, hurry man we're getting pounded here!"
  • "Located on the dash, directly above the steering column is a push-button, see it?"
  • "Yes"
  • "Push it in and hold it in, then push the starter button"
  • "Vrooom...and sounds of relief from the cab"
  • "Now get your asses otta there, I'll meet you at the station"
Seagrave's of that era were equipped with a HFD specified starter interlock system which prevented the starter to operate if any of the trucks compartment doors were ajar, this was because certain drivers would leave the station responding to an alarm with the doors open and "re-design" them...lol.
All but 1 of the 4 member crew were relieving at that station that day and were un-aware of the interlock, their assigned apparatus was a battle worn Crown, circa 1968 or so, it did not have a starter interlock. The push-button above the column was a master override for the Seagrave's starter interlock system.

Needless to say, the department issued a special notice regarding this incident, ALL Captains were required to read their entire crew the document and initial it, then return it via department procedures.

That 1-2 minute over the air diagnosis, replacement of the severely damaged compartment switch (firefighters can be rough when stowing gear) landed me something like 4 hours OT, along with one of the finest firehouse dinners ever.

All the more reason I am glad I disabled auto start/stop via FORScan the day before last.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The remote was just me trying to see if it would start via the computer. I was mostly trying using the start button.. and it usually works fine. This problem only occurred 3 times over 2 months. I made a service appt for thursday.. right now I'm pushing the auto stop-start button as part of the startup routine.

Weak battery could be an issue though.. I would just expect the problem more often. I do notice that it happened on at least 2 times on warmer days... could be a coincidence.

Shawn
The battery in your key must be good and the key must be good, try a new battery , your second key, and also try the keydock on board the truck.