Start problem on 2019 Lariat..

sidewinder

First Name
vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
Start small... Disable the auto start and stop seen on this forum. Do you get a grind on the starter, thought about puling the positive battery cable for 30s to see if an electronics reset changes.. Also if you can narrow the focus for your dealer to fix or remind them of lemon laws in your area. Its frustrating but you are the one most familiar with the issue, keep a note book of when and how long stopped and so forth to get an idea of whats up... The notes should help... Are you a push button or key starter.
Thanks, Nellieg. My Ranger is a push button. I took the negative cable off for a while but no difference. Should I do the positive cable instead?
Sponsored

sidewinder

First Name
vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
This problem started coming back to me again last week.

Once again, I sent back to the dealer. They had it for a day and could not get it to occur. They did a PCM rewrite again, and I havent seen it since again (but I am careful to disable auto SS manually all the time now, and we are doing minimal travel lately because of covid-19 work from home.

It does make me feel good to hear others have this problem. I think we should get the dealers talking to each other.

Shawn
Hi Shawn, I thought I was home free when I disabled my A/SS but then it started to occur when not driving the vehicle. Whenever the motor was off, I would not know if it would start. And the trouble kept getting more frequent as time went on. As of yesterday, it is totally no crank, no start out on a driveway. It will either start or be towed away this morning

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks, Phil.....Everything in the vehicle seems to be fully operational during these events. I will audit everything tomorrow if it does not start after I connect the battery. The service dealer on the past work orders is Hawk Ford in St Charles , IL. They kept the truck 6 weeks when I was out of town in February and drove it 60 miles with no failure but the battery was below 85% so not a definitive test.
I agree with Phil, a completely failing truck will be easier to diagnose. They keep telling me "they can't recreate the problem."

Let us know what you do learn .. Im starting to think when they look at mine, they wiggle or adjust something that makes it functional for a while, then it eventually loosens up again.

I do hear a clicking as well, but as I'm in the truck, all I know is its coming from in front of me somewhat to the left.

sidewinder

First Name
vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
I agree with Phil, a completely failing truck will be easier to diagnose. They keep telling me "they can't recreate the problem."

Let us know what you do learn .. Im starting to think when they look at mine, they wiggle or adjust something that makes it functional for a while, then it eventually loosens up again.

I do hear a clicking as well, but as I'm in the truck, all I know is its coming from in front of me somewhat to the left.
Phil may be right about a connector coming adrift. And an inadvertent jostle may temporarily restore proper functioning, like you said. Right now my Ranger is totally unable to start. Ima try wiggling some cables...
Who knows?

sidewinder

First Name
vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
When it is occurring, I see the green light in the start button blinking, and a red battery indicator come up each time I try to start.

Generally, I have come to know that if you are at a red light or auto start/stop situation, you need to shift back to park. Shut off the truck, wait a minute and then it will work.

at a regular parked situation where it won't start.. again, you have to push the stop button so the electronics dont think the truck is on.. wait about a minute, then do the start.

Who is the dealer you were working with? Maybe we can have them both communicate and elevate the issue
Hi Shawn, That drill used to work for me too, but the problem has escalated to where it won't start at all as of yesterday

sidewinder

First Name
vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat

Yes, my tech at Hawk said that he just gets two codes: that the A/SS system has failed and that there is a problem in the starting circuit......But no specific details at all. And if the source problem is in the starting circuit, then of course the A/SS will fail to restart the vehicle. One gentleman on this thread said they fixed his no-start problem with a new starter assy.

sidewinder

First Name
vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
Thanks, Phil.....Everything in the vehicle seems to be fully operational during these events. I will audit everything tomorrow if it does not start after I connect the battery. The service dealer on the past work orders is Hawk Ford in St Charles , IL. They kept the truck 6 weeks when I was out of town in February and drove it 60 miles with no failure but the battery was below 85% so not a definitive test.
After leaving the battery disconnected overnight, I went out to the truck yesterday morning and it started right up. I shutoff As/s system and unchecked "engine auto off" and drove back home never shutting off the engine. I will either drive it or tow it to Friendly Ford today to let their expert give it a try. This would rule out a mechanical problem, wouldn't it, Phil ?

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
After leaving the battery disconnected overnight, I went out to the truck yesterday morning and it started right up. I shutoff As/s system and unchecked "engine auto off" and drove back home never shutting off the engine. I will either drive it or tow it to Friendly Ford today to let their expert give it a try. This would rule out a mechanical problem, wouldn't it, Phil ?
I would not say that for sure.. as the truck sits overnight (especially outside) wires shrink and stretch based on temperature, etc. And just moving the battery wire might have jostled something, but there's a good chance this shows its electronic in my opinion.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase

Exactly where the starter is--over the top of the oil filter--Click noise indicates starter received a request, to engage.
You can remove the rubber shield (left inner fender area), and starter "main" terminal is exposed, alone with the push on connector on the solenoid. (check main terminal nut/connection, is tight--do not use wrench/tool, without disconnecting batt NEG-cable hot/B+!!)

Hi Shawn, That drill used to work for me too, but the problem has escalated to where it won't start at all as of yesterday
Mine did the same-issue escalated to almost requiring vehicle to be towed in, once part arrived

No--Temp really affects the starter--(heat=electrical resistance) initially, mine worked better cold-- Hope this helps!:like:

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Exactly where the starter is--over the top of the oil filter--Click noise indicates starter received a request, to engage.
You can remove the rubber shield (left inner fender area), and starter "main" terminal is exposed, alone with the push on connector on the solenoid. (check main terminal nut/connection, is tight--do not use wrench/tool, without disconnecting batt NEG-cable hot/B+!!)

Mine did the same-issue escalated to almost requiring vehicle to be towed in, once part arrived

No--Temp really affects the starter--(heat=electrical resistance) initially, mine worked better cold-- Hope this helps!:like:
Yeah, mine never had the problem initially at the start of the day

sidewinder

First Name
vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat

Dealer replaced starter assy. yesterday as per instructions from Ford. Now the test driving begins. I will report any new failures .........or not

OP
OP

sjasheRanger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Dealer replaced starter assy. yesterday as per instructions from Ford. Now the test driving begins. I will report any new failures .........or not
Interesting.. took 2 months to reoccur for me last time..

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
OUTSTANDING!!:like: