Saberranger61

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hello everyone I’m new to the group and im
Hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2019 ranger with under 30K miles I’ve had for three years now. It’s been great and never given me a issue. About a year ago I added a base 91 octane tune from SCT with there tuner , and I added a injen open box cold air intake. Together it transformed the truck! I can spin the tires in any gear , on drive and sport! I can’t go back to stock now, recently I’ve been hearing what sounds like misfires *kinda sounds like ticking on WOT*. I have colder plugs from NGK , and have them gapped at .27 , anyone else have a different plug gap? Should I try the stock .31 gap ? Any info would be greatly appreciated ! Btw I only pump shell 91 and I have a hookup on octane booster so often In total I’m filling up with 94 octane. I’ve ran 100 octane before from the pump and I noticed less ticking when I did. Thanks for your time , looking forward to any replies !
Sponsored

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
The manual specifically states not to use fuel additives. Could be causing an issue with the HPFP. Also why are you running a step colder? Is your boost high enough to warrant that?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone I’m new to the group and im
Hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2019 ranger with under 30K miles I’ve had for three years now. It’s been great and never given me a issue. About a year ago I added a base 91 octane tune from SCT with there tuner , and I added a injen open box cold air intake. Together it transformed the truck! I can spin the tires in any gear , on drive and sport! I can’t go back to stock now, recently I’ve been hearing what sounds like misfires *kinda sounds like ticking on WOT*. I have colder plugs from NGK , and have them gapped at .27 , anyone else have a different plug gap? Should I try the stock .31 gap ? Any info would be greatly appreciated ! Btw I only pump shell 91 and I have a hookup on octane booster so often In total I’m filling up with 94 octane. I’ve ran 100 octane before from the pump and I noticed less ticking when I did. Thanks for your time , looking forward to any replies !
Hi Chris,

You may have Wot detonation as a function of way too much spark advance...depends on if there is any strategy in the tune to retard spark a bit at WOT.

Find a source for Racing Fuel and see if that helps... VP Hydrocarbons is sometimes a source... May have to detune a bit....

I am no expert on this other than building my own race engines... but it does not sound plug gap related due to improvement with 100 octane...

Best,
Phil

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Hmmm I have the bully dog 91 tune with the replacement NGK plugs set at .30. No misfires or issues with mine. Try running just pure 91 without all the additives. ??

Techcargt

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranget XLT 2023 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Master ASE Tech, and Heavy Equipment Tech
You might also want to check the spark plugs , make sure they are still torgued correctly. If they back out some , they will make that " ticking " sound also .

OP
OP

Saberranger61

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks everyone I’ll forsure step down from the Octane booster , I have fresh oil and plugs otw so I’ll be checking all that. Off the SCT gauge off some WOT pulls it hit about 20 plus pounds of boost. So I wanted to be safe and change the plugs. I always stick to 91 since I’m in California smh. Appreciate the replies !

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had signs of bad spark plugs over the past week. Pulled out the NGKs after about 40k miles. All of them had the gap increased from .03 to .035. They looked worn but much better than the stock ones. I decided to just replace them with the NGK 90495 and I gapped those to .028/.029. So far so good. We will have to see how the plugs hold up with the tune. I’ll post a picture of the old NGK I pulled out too. Plugs are in order one at bottom and four at top

image.jpg

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Bookmarked for followup.

My mpg has dropped a bit, 2019 Lariat with about 32k, still have the oem plugs and gap. Wondering if changing plugs might help raise it back into the 19.5 in town rating. I checked it this week and it was 18.

I did notice that I had left my mag light charger plugged in for a few months during deer season, surprised I didn't notice the auto start stop not kicking in. Once I unplugged It the ass feature kicked back in.

I also noticed that due to the cold weather and remote starting, my transmission shifts like normal again. Even a minute or so, but really noticed the shifting was much better after the truck warmed up and the rpms dropped to normal. Plus my butts warm when I get in! 😆

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bookmarked for followup.

My mpg has dropped a bit, 2019 Lariat with about 32k, still have the oem plugs and gap. Wondering if changing plugs might help raise it back into the 19.5 in town rating. I checked it this week and it was 18.

I did notice that I had left my mag light charger plugged in for a few months during deer season, surprised I didn't notice the auto start stop not kicking in. Once I unplugged It the ass feature kicked back in.

I also noticed that due to the cold weather and remote starting, my transmission shifts like normal again. Even a minute or so, but really noticed the shifting was much better after the truck warmed up and the rpms dropped to normal. Plus my butts warm when I get in! 😆
Usually when my MPG drops into the 18 mark it’s a tell tale sign to check the plugs. Your gap has probably widened so I’d pull them, check the gap and check for water in the cylinder, then close back up with some dielectric grease for protection on the boot.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I'll order the plugs and supplies and wait til a warm day, woodshops heated but the main garage isn't. I am one of the lucky few that has the oem engine cover, not sure if that helps divert water away from the plugs. I don't cross creeks etc, a drive in the rain and carwashes is the only time it's in a wet environment. I have the Roush tune and cold air kit, put it all in under 10k and a few years ago.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll order the plugs and supplies and wait til a warm day, woodshops heated but the main garage isn't. I am one of the lucky few that has the oem engine cover, not sure if that helps divert water away from the plugs. I don't cross creeks etc, a drive in the rain and carwashes is the only time it's in a wet environment. I have the Roush tune and cold air kit, put it all in under 10k and a few years ago.
Yes definitely a good idea. Double check on the tune if you should run one step colder plugs when you order them. I had a hell of a time with auto one to get the one step colder and I was unable to. I’m sitting with just two of them and can’t get the other two sent.
How is the roush tune by the way? I’m still running a bully dog 91 octane tune
Also yes with the engine cover you don’t have to worry about water like the rest of us.
Sponsored