SOLVED: SuperCab Rear Seat Broken Floor Latch, Replaced Under Warranty

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
Not a major issues by no means.

Brought my new truck home yesterday and was just checking out the rear jack storage location which required the removal of the rear jump seat base.

When I went to pull the tether to release seat base the plastic housing literally grenaded into two pieces. Upon inspection it looked like the plastic was corroded ??

Took some photos of the issue and shot it to dealer who had no problem ordering replacement part.

I feel like these latches maybe prone to breaking a few more times though...don't seem very robust.

On a side note when the new part comes I'm wondering exactly how I get that latch assembly out of the floor!

IMG_20190615_141933.jpg

IMG_20190615_141814.jpg

IMG_20190615_141828.jpg
Sponsored

Arron

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4 Sport Magnetic
Occupation
Software developer
It’s super easy to remove if you remove the bin. There are 3 plastic pins in the top of the bin. Use a trim tool to remove those plastic pins carefully. Once the bin is removed you have easy access to the bottom of the clip. The clip has a plastic latch on the bottom. Just reach under and press the latch and it unhooks really easy. The only trick in my opinion is to not damage the pins that hold the bin down but other than that the process is easy. Just take your time and you won’t have an issue.

OP
OP
MagneticRanger

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey awesome!

I might give this a go....I am or at least have not been so lucky when it comes to trim removals.....do you have a rough idea where those plastic pin locations are you have mentioned ?

It’s super easy to remove if you remove the bin. There are 3 plastic pins in the top of the bin. Use a trim tool to remove those plastic pins carefully. Once the bin is removed you have easy access to the bottom of the clip. The clip has a plastic latch on the bottom. Just reach under and press the latch and it unhooks really easy. The only trick in my opinion is to not damage the pins that hold the bin down but other than that the process is easy. Just take your time and you won’t have an issue.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase

Brought my new truck home yesterday and was just checking out the rear jack storage location which required the removal of the rear jump seat base.

When I went to pull the tether to release seat base the plastic housing literally grenaded into two pieces. Upon inspection it looked like the plastic was corroded ??

Took some photos of the issue and shot it to dealer who had no problem ordering replacement part.

I feel like these latches maybe prone to breaking a few more times though...don't seem very robust.

On a side note when the new part comes I'm wondering exactly how I get that latch assembly out of the floor!

IMG_20190615_141933.jpg

IMG_20190615_141814.jpg

IMG_20190615_141828.jpg
Is it cover by the warranty ? if it is let the dealer do it :)

OP
OP
MagneticRanger

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most definitely covered , the nearest dealer is just a bit of a ways away ...I figured maybe something I could just pop out and in myself....save the trip for a possible 10 min of effort....maybe....haha

Is it cover by the warranty ? if it is let the dealer do it :)

Arron

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4 Sport Magnetic
Occupation
Software developer
Hey awesome!

I might give this a go....I am or at least have not been so lucky when it comes to trim removals.....do you have a rough idea where those plastic pin locations are you have mentioned ?
The pins are right on top of the bin. If you take the bin cover off you will see them.

Note if you have some sound deadening material. It’s worth while to put that in under the bin when you have it removed.

upload_2019-6-16_6-23-23.jpeg

upload_2019-6-16_6-23-54.jpeg

OP
OP
MagneticRanger

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent!

Thanks for the overview! I did see those pins ...but I was overthinking it about also having tabs or something similar also holding it in!

Thanks again!

The pins are right on top of the bin. If you take the bin cover off you will see them.

Note if you have some sound deadening material. It’s worth while to put that in under the bin when you have it removed.

upload_2019-6-16_6-23-23.jpeg

upload_2019-6-16_6-23-54.jpeg

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic

IMG_20190615_141933.jpg

IMG_20190615_141814.jpg

IMG_20190615_141828.jpg
Mine broke the same as yours the first time I used it !

OP
OP
MagneticRanger

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear! ....I thought maybe in my case I just was maybe too hard but then I was like ...nahh....I barely pulled!

I'm just nervous going forward how many times this is going to occur.....but I guess as long as warranty is intact ...doesn't matter

Mine broke the same as yours the first time I used it !

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
the discoloration could be the result of some kind of impurity in the plastic, maybe a few bad pieces in a batch

OP
OP
MagneticRanger

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the discoloration could be the result of some kind of impurity in the plastic, maybe a few bad pieces in a batch
Im thinking so as well ....just waiting for the dealer to come through on correcting the issue and then go from there!

OP
OP
MagneticRanger

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer supplied 2 replacement seat latches to replace broken one.

However during an unrelated check at local ford dealership I discovered that the driver's side floor latch was also split but did not yet separate ...lucky for me the dealer as mentioned before gave me 2 new floor latches so had the dealership I went to also replace the driver's side as well.

I've never removed the driver's side jump seat since owning the truck until the other day at the dealership.

I guess maybe a warning to all SuperCab owners to inspect these latches ...maybe a defect ..maybe different supplier.....to be honest there isn't much to them kind of flimsy

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Did your recieve part number on latches?

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Dealer supplied 2 replacement seat latches to replace broken one.

However during an unrelated check at local ford dealership I discovered that the driver's side floor latch was also split but did not yet separate ...lucky for me the dealer as mentioned before gave me 2 new floor latches so had the dealership I went to also replace the driver's side as well.

I've never removed the driver's side jump seat since owning the truck until the other day at the dealership.

I guess maybe a warning to all SuperCab owners to inspect these latches ...maybe a defect ..maybe different supplier.....to be honest there isn't much to them kind of flimsy
My latches have broke also,VERY cheap design

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I think what i'll do with mine is copy it's shape and stencil a piece of gorilla tape over it to help reinforce the cheap plastic.
I did this to the bezel of my microwave door which was cracking and it has held up flawlessly.
Gorilla tape is like a second layer of skin. Super strong.
Sponsored