First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Not correct at all. It is AWD, not part time 4WD. Jason at Engineering Explained has a good video on the same system in the F-150 Raptor.
I think you are confusing a F-150 Raptor system for a Ranger system that is not the same as best as I can tell. You'll also notice in that video he mentions the automatic front disconnect hubs, I've not seen that on the current gen 4x4 Ranger or mention of it on the next gen 4x4 Ranger.

Did you read the owner's manual for the next gen ranger with 4A mode? 4A stands for "four-wheel drive auto", that doesn't sound like they are using an AWD system. Further info in the manual states that when you select 4A, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance. If we assume that the video at least got the info about the wet clutches in the transfer case right, it is not really AWD or 4WD, but if the wet clutches are in full lock mode it will be just like 4WD up to the grip limit of the wet clutches.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
I think you are confusing a F-150 Raptor system for a Ranger system that is not the same as best as I can tell.
I've driven all of the new Rangers and Everests, and had an extensive conversation with the chief engineers of both the Ranger and Ranger Raptor programs. The Ranger full time 4WD transfer case is the same as the F-150 Raptor's in operation. The standard transfer case in lower trims is the same as the outgoing model's part time transfer case (and does not have a 4A mode). Correct, the Ranger does not have free wheeling hubs, but the transfer case functions the same. In 4A, it's AWD. In 2H it's RWD, in 4H and 4L it's locked centre 4x4.

The clutches are able to continuously vary the pressure applied to the plates, which alters the torque transfer through the clutch. Don't think of them like a clutch in a manual transmission where it is either on or off. It works very similarly in concept to the 'twinster' AWD clutch system in your Focus RS's rear axle (in that case the clutches are both always slipping, but the Ranger setup only slips when there is a speed difference between each axle). There's even a display on the digital dash which shows the torque split to each axle. Simply, in 4A, more pressure on the clutch pack = more lock = more torque to the front. It's continuously variable from 0% to 50% total torque output to the front axle.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I really like this. Nothing overly negative or critical to say. I’d love to trade my 2021 in for a 6G (even a standard non-Raptor, though I do love this Raptor), but that just doesn’t make sense money-wise any time soon.

I agree this looks like what most of us try to make our 5G Rangers look like. IMHO the exterior is very similar to our models, with a little more beefy front end. I love the current 5G exterior and I’m glad Ford did not change things up too radically.

Significant highlights for me are
1) integrated TBC (hope this makes it to the standard tow package for the 6G).
2) Physical knobs for the climate control.
3) Auto 4H (great for the wife, who has a hard time knowing when not to be in 4H)
4) Interior in general is more modern. I am ok with the large screen.
5) Physical knobs for the climate control. (worth a repeat).

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
I've driven all of the new Rangers and Everests, and had an extensive conversation with the chief engineers of both the Ranger and Ranger Raptor programs. The Ranger full time 4WD transfer case is the same as the F-150 Raptor's in operation. The standard transfer case in lower trims is the same as the outgoing model's part time transfer case (and does not have a 4A mode). Correct, the Ranger does not have free wheeling hubs, but the transfer case functions the same. In 4A, it's AWD. In 2H it's RWD, in 4H and 4L it's locked centre 4x4.

The clutches are able to continuously vary the pressure applied to the plates, which alters the torque transfer through the clutch. Don't think of them like a clutch in a manual transmission where it is either on or off. It works very similarly in concept to the 'twinster' AWD clutch system in your Focus RS's rear axle (in that case the clutches are both always slipping, but the Ranger setup only slips when there is a speed difference between each axle). There's even a display on the digital dash which shows the torque split to each axle. Simply, in 4A, more pressure on the clutch pack = more lock = more torque to the front. It's continuously variable from 0% to 50% total torque output to the front axle.
I understand it works similar to the RS rear drive unit, with a single clutch pack instead of the left/right twin packs in the RS. I can assure you the RS does clamp to full lock (not always slipping), though in most cases it is slipping. It's still not really AWD since there is not center diff though. But, it is a suitable upgrade to the 4WD system to prevent the binding issues of the manual on/off control that is traditional.

Reactions: EJH

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
I understand it works similar to the RS rear drive unit, with a single clutch pack instead of the left/right twin packs in the RS. I can assure you the RS does clamp to full lock (not always slipping), though in most cases it is slipping. It's still not really AWD since there is not center diff though. But, it is a suitable upgrade to the 4WD system to prevent the binding issues of the manual on/off control that is traditional.
The vast majority of AWD systems today use clutches not centre differentials in light vehicles, and this is no different. It's semantics anyway, it's not part time 4x4 which was being implied. It's full time four wheel drive when in 4A mode, and torque goes to the front when it matters.

For your RS, the only time it is 100% locked is when the rear wheels are spinning, as the rear axle of the RS has a different final drive ratio to the front, therefore the clutches are always slipping. The rear axle is driven about 20% faster than the front, this is how they can exceed 50% torque to the rear wheels.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
I think Honda called it best on their Civic and then the CR-V when they referred to it as "Realtime 4WD", not getting into the super not clear stylized "4" they used in the font on the CR-V that some people mistook for an "A". I know the with 1G CR-V it has that locking unit on the rear end. With the front input is turning faster than the rear pressure between a pair of pumps builds up in a chamber that engages a locking mechanism that connects the front input to the rear output. If you take out the part time 4WD and reverse the view on the primary drive of front verse rear it's about the same, just different inputs and control systems for the clutch packs between the Ranger 4A mode and the CR-V RT-4WD.

It's still more like a 4WD setup, but instead of energy losses to binding driving line parts and tires slipping they put in a clutch pack to manage it. The owner's manual still spells it out as called it four-wheel drive auto.

And yes, with the over driven rear axle (though 20% is not right, closer to 2% I think) the tires somewhere have to lose traction while the clutches are locked up. But that is what the drift mode is all about.

Last edited:

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
It's still more like a 4WD setup, but instead of energy losses to binding driving line parts and tires slipping they put in a clutch pack to manage it. The owner's manual still spells it out as called it four-wheel drive auto.
4WD vs AWD is really a semantics debate. They all drive the four corners of the car, they all do approximately the same thing. As an engineer, the tag that marketing gives the system is really irrelevant, as the technology varies so wildly between different vehicles anyway.

The Ranger V6 diesel is badged as 4WD, the lesser models with the part time four wheel drive are badged as 4x4. That's Ford's position as far as marketing goes. What does it mean as a consumer? The top spec vehicles have full time four wheel drive that can be used on any terrain without binding. Where this is distinctive to other competing vehicles is that most have part time 4x4. The Mitsubishi Triton has their Super Select II system which works very similarly to Ford's, but isn't actively controlled (i.e. fixed pressure on the clutchpack), and the outgoing Amarok has a torsen diff in the centre but no low range.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
4WD vs AWD is really a semantics debate. They all drive the four corners of the car, they all do approximately the same thing. As an engineer, the tag that marketing gives the system is really irrelevant, as the technology varies so wildly between different vehicles anyway.

The Ranger V6 diesel is badged as 4WD, the lesser models with the part time four wheel drive are badged as 4x4. That's Ford's position as far as marketing goes. What does it mean as a consumer? The top spec vehicles have full time four wheel drive that can be used on any terrain without binding. Where this is distinctive to other competing vehicles is that most have part time 4x4. The Mitsubishi Triton has their Super Select II system which works very similarly to Ford's, but isn't actively controlled (i.e. fixed pressure on the clutchpack), and the outgoing Amarok has a torsen diff in the centre but no low range.
OK, how many differentials are in the mk3 Focus RS?

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
OK, how many differentials are in the mk3 Focus RS?
One, but it's irrelevant.

Relevant quotes:
? Actually,
The 4A is not awd, it’s automatically engaging 4wd.

Awd implies a “differential” in the T case allowing operation on dry pavement.
As mentioned by Fritz, it is not automatic AWD, but rather automatic 4WD. If the truck is detecting slipping it will auto engage the 4WD in the center transfer case. At some point after that it will auto deactivate it and return to monitoring for slippage to reengage.
Both statements are not correct. The ute is not engaging a traditional 4x4 setup when the system is in 4A. Calling something AWD/4WD does not matter. The technology used is what matters, not some arbitrary name that apparently defines what sort of system is fitted.

The Ranger with this transfer case has the following modes:
2H - Traditional rear wheel drive (note the front hubs are not freewheeling, same goes for all 5G and 6G Rangers)
4A - Traditional full time four wheel drive, achieved using a wet multi disc clutch with active pressure control in lieu of a differential
4H - Traditional four wheel drive with a locked centre, achieved by engaging a toothed dog
4L - Traditional four wheel drive, locked centre, low range

The 4A mode applies pressure to the clutch pack almost all the time the vehicle is moving and the engine is putting torque to the wheels. It defaults to around 5% when the vehicle is at a steady speed, and goes to 100% pressure when accelerating. It is pre-emptive, not reactive, i.e. it does not wait for wheel slip. The pressure is applied to the cutches before the engine has spooled up. When accelerating from a standing start it uses a high preload on the clutches to ensure no wheel slip.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
Well, we agree on that, most people want to say the RDU is also a differential. While the RDU does replace the differential, and in many ways do things better than than a classic differential, it's not right to call it a differential.

Perhaps my issue is that AWD has been fairly clearly defined for so long as a 3 differential system that I have a hard time allowing that to apply to a system that on paper looks way more like a 4WD/4X4 (those I do interchange more freely) system.

Both statements are not correct. The ute is not engaging a traditional 4x4 setup when the system is in 4A. Calling something AWD/4WD does not matter. The technology used is what matters, not some arbitrary name that apparently defines what sort of system is fitted.
Agree, somewhat. I was not correct in the how it worked from the limited info on how it worked that was given in the owner's manual. Thank you for the more detailed info, even though a direct link to details about the F150 Raptor didn't have a 1 to 1 comparison due to other differences (disconnection hubs) for that drive train.

Yes, the technology used does matter, not arguing that. But without the center differ always keeping the front and rear axles connected but allowing some output speed variation I'm not sure I would call that AWD. We seem to agree that engineering "arbitrary names" for systems do matter, otherwise you likely would have said the RS has more than one differential.

2H - Traditional rear wheel drive (note the front hubs are not freewheeling, same goes for all 5G and 6G Rangers)
4A - Traditional full time four wheel drive, achieved using a wet multi disc clutch with active pressure control in lieu of a differential
4H - Traditional four wheel drive with a locked centre, achieved by engaging a toothed dog

The 4A mode applies pressure to the clutch pack almost all the time the vehicle is moving and the engine is putting torque to the wheels. It defaults to around 5% when the vehicle is at a steady speed, and goes to 100% pressure when accelerating. It is pre-emptive, not reactive, i.e. it does not wait for wheel slip. The pressure is applied to the cutches before the engine has spooled up. When accelerating from a standing start it uses a high preload on the clutches to ensure no wheel slip.
I have no issue with how it was worded here, and that is what I've been saying once you added more info about how the transfer case's dual methods of engaging the front output, either through the more traditional manual locking (driver demand) or newer computer controlled wet clutches (PCM demand).

4WD may be a full-time or an on-demand connection for locking the front and rear axles to the same speed. Nothing in "on-demand" part of that prohibits a computer from being the one demanding the engagement, or from saying must to 100% engaged. If the wet clutches are at 50% duty, and assuming that at 100% they lock the front/rear axles, the clutches are still attempting to lock the front/rear axles ratios to each other, just doing a half-assed (by design of course) job of locking them.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL

Relevant quotes:

Can the 4A be used on dry, paved roads?

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
Can the 4A be used on dry, paved roads?
Absolutely, that's the point of it. The Raptor defaults to 4A on startup.

Reactions: EJH

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
Perhaps my issue is that AWD has been fairly clearly defined for so long as a 3 differential system that I have a hard time allowing that to apply to a system that on paper looks way more like a 4WD/4X4 (those I do interchange more freely) system.

Yes, the technology used does matter, not arguing that. But without the center differ always keeping the front and rear axles connected but allowing some output speed variation I'm not sure I would call that AWD. We seem to agree that engineering "arbitrary names" for systems do matter, otherwise you likely would have said the RS has more than one differential.
No I don't fully agree there. The RS is AWD, just like my Volvo S60 was, and both do not have a centre differential (the RS doesn't even have a rear diff). Again, having two arbitrary terms to describe at least four different types of drive technology that do a similar thing means that they don't all fit into a nice category.

In 4A, the clutch is taking the place of a centre differential. Hence me (and Ford, including the chief engineer of the program) call it full time four wheel drive. Just like a LandCruiser or a Land Rover. Jason at Engineering Explained called it AWD to highlight the difference between the two modes in the F-150. Saying it has 4WD + 4WD would not get the point across.

I'm not going to respond on this semantics debate any further, I think I've explained pretty clearly how this system works and how Ford intend it to be used - 4A is on road usable full time four wheel drive, call it AWD, call it 4WD, call it 4x4. I don't care. End of discussion from me.

Enjoy this beast when it finally hits the US shores!

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I ain't gonna lie...I'm still on the fence about having something that size for an infotainment setup.

I'd reckon I would need to sit in the vehicle first and see for myself.
Same here. When I'm driving my current Ranger its usually to get away from all that crap. But, having the screen for the front & rear cameras would be nice.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc