Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
A smidge over 20 mpg..
I just checked my 3.2 diesel Ranger today, been doing a lot of highway miles lately 8.22 litres / 100 km or 28 US MPG But not as fast as one of these!

Last edited:

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
? Actually,
The 4A is not awd, it’s automatically engaging 4wd.

Awd implies a “differential” in the T case allowing operation on dry pavement.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
These are great!.

I was supposed to be Downunder for work also in October.
That got canceled.
I was thinking of doing the same thing and acquiring a real WILDTRAK label for my lariat.
Couldn't wait for a 2023 in this configuration. I will retire in early 2023, and needed to break the great Lariat in.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
What's the 4A drive mode, AWD?
Yes automatic AWD. We already have it on the Everest wagon, but never on the Ranger- until now.
You can read all about it here:. https://www.ford.com.au/showroom/future-vehicle/next-gen-ranger-raptor/

Basically yes, 4A is an AWD.
? Actually,
The 4A is not awd, it’s automatically engaging 4wd.

Awd implies a “differential” in the T case allowing operation on dry pavement.
As mentioned by Fritz, it is not automatic AWD, but rather automatic 4WD. If the truck is detecting slipping it will auto engage the 4WD in the center transfer case. At some point after that it will auto deactivate it and return to monitoring for slippage to reengage.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
As mentioned by Fritz, it is not automatic AWD, but rather automatic 4WD. If the truck is detecting slipping it will auto engage the 4WD in the center transfer case. At some point after that it will auto deactivate it and return to monitoring for slippage to reengage.
According to this report it can be used in auto OR locked on dry pavement but whether that means it has a center diff or just uses the cheaper substitute of a wet clutch that it can unlock briefly to release windup I don't know. So it has both modes.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2023-ford-ranger-offroad-review

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
According to this report it can be used in auto OR locked on dry pavement but whether that means it has a center diff or just uses the cheaper substitute of a wet clutch that it can unlock briefly to release windup I don't know. So it has both modes.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2023-ford-ranger-offroad-review
We must not be reading the same text, nowhere in that did I see where they said you can use 4H or 4L on hard sealed surfaces, they do mention that you can use 4A (4x4 Auto) on hard sealed surfaces. It still sounds just like I stated, an auto engagement of a parttime 4H drive system.

From the Australian Ranger Owner's Manual: (Not sure about the Raptor exclusion as they don't have the manual for that new one online yet)

1667995985765.png

Last edited:

stevensc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
If it is in there I didn't notice, where was it built? from the shipping label it was imported to Aus.
Thanks,
Steve W

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
We must not be reading the same text, nowhere in that did I see where they said you can use 4H or 4L on hard sealed surfaces, they do mention that you can use 4A (4x4 Auto) on hard sealed surfaces. It still sounds just like I stated, an auto engagement of a parttime 4H drive system.

From the Australian Ranger Owner's Manual: (Not sure about the Raptor exclusion as they don't have the manual for that new one online yet)

1667995985765.png
Obviously we're not - but I think the article got it wrong - not unlikely, most motoring journalists these days scarcely deserve the title! He's compared it to the Mitsubishi Triton system which can be left in 4x4 on the tar - which is obviously incorrect. This system does sound like it can be used like the AWD systems in SUV's or left in 2WD or locked in 4x4 Hi or Lo range.

The full-time 4x4 system is standard on all V6 4x4 Rangers, including the petrol-fuelled V6 Ranger Raptor. The system offers drivers the choice of conventional two-wheel drive (rear wheels); 4x4 Auto; locked 4x4 high range; and locked 4x4 low range.

The benefit of 4x4 Auto is that it can be used on all roads including hard sealed surfaces where you couldn’t normally use 4x4 in a part-time system. This is specifically beneficial on roads that change from sealed to gravel, snow and ice covered roads or even wet roads, and is especially beneficial when towing a load and you need to maintain control.

Only the Mitsubishi Triton and Volkswagen Amarok offer this tractive and safety advantage in the 4x4 ute category.

2022_Ford_Ranger_Sport_45.jpg

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Did ford even change the exterior of the cab at all? Looks extremely similar to the current one.

Reactions: EJH

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4