So Captain Kirk is going to space

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
One of my favorite SNL skits :

In my career in IT sales I called on an CIO of a mid size corporation - he and one of his staff would dress up as trekkies and go to those conventions, had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing when he would tell me what a great tine he had at the convention - get a life !

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
While complaining about global warming and emissions, we've sent 2 rich white dudes in to space. What a way to say 'I'm out of touch with society'. Bezos should really reinvest that money into making Amazon better...

bearrug

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4, 2023 ford Bronco Sport
While complaining about global warming and emissions, we've sent 2 rich white dudes in to space. What a way to say 'I'm out of touch with society'. Bezos should really reinvest that money into making Amazon better...
Yeah the billionaires are trying to find the next place to live, as far as Im concerned they can just stay up there.

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
Just the shape of the rocket alone pretty much sums things up. Compensate much?

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Relativity man, relativity.? poor dude that rides his $25 bike and lives in the park looks at us the same way. " They need to use that 40k to do some real good in the world. " To each his own, I say. Freedom man, freedom!

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Relativity man, relativity.? poor dude that rides his $25 bike and lives in the park looks at us the same way. " They need to use that 40k to do some real good in the world. " To each his own, I say. Freedom man, freedom!
This! So easy to declare someone a "rich asshole" if they have more than you! You go out and be that "rich asshole" to someone else! ha!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Well I believe Captain Kirk commented after his flight that "this is something everyone should do
", not sure if everyone meant the entire population of the planet or the USA, but Bezos net worth is current ~ $200 B, give ortake several bill but he could afford I think to send all of us for a ride, being the altruistic gent that is reputed to be, I'm not holding my breath, my thrill ride will have to be my Ranger for the present, and of course my spouse :sunglasses:

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
touche-dodgeball.gif

Although, I don't employ a large number of people with documented horrible work conditions.
Yes I've read about these "horrible working conditions" at Amazon and forgive me if I don't shed a tear. Its horrible they have to actually work hard and can only spend a certain amount of time in the bathroom, and then get back to work. A little workplace adversity, or a "bad" job, when young can sure make one appreciate landing a good job later. Would I work there now? Hell no, but I've paid my dues with crap jobs. Some soft folks out there these days.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I dont need Bezo's help

I got this covered.

I don't know from that clip if he's glad he did that or not, but he sure will have a story to tell that few can match. Good on him for trying!

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Although Bezos rocket it somewhat lame attempt compared to some other alternatives, I do support it.

Earth is going to die and humanity with it (although latter will probably happen before first) and our species only hope of surviving is to bail out. We need to move our living and manufacturing space out to.. space. We went to moon because it was easy, but now we need capability to do it for other planets and eventually other stars and galaxies.

Bezos's rocket may be one small step in doing it, may it be inspiring some kid to go space or actual technological invention, so if he and his customers are willing then good for everyone. In current state it's comparable to bunch of guys in the desert sending up sugar rockets, but eventually it may help people to commute to their work in the belt.

P.S. If I can eye-ball Jeb to Jools that rocketry can't be too hard. Throw enough money for the delta-v and we can own the solar system.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
wow...what a downer.

Whats so hard about spending the time and money here, to make our world and humanity survive??
oh wait, sorry, i forgot about that night light to stop ASS.....we are doomed. FML
We can spend our time and money here, our kids can do it too and x generations after that. Then on one day the meteor X hits, super volcano erupts, covid-3017 hits, some guy in Asia pushes a button or if we're lucky we get frozen out in an ice age in next 100000 years. It is a fact, time is just the question.

In order to outlive that next extinction level event we need to diversify our location. Be it orbit, moon, asteroids or other planets. And even with that the final blow from our beloved sun we can only dodge by leaving the solar system.

There's no downer or upper implied in that. It just is, makes no difference in our lives. Unless we invest in dodging it.

Most likely I won't see any of them, not the colonization of other planets nor the end of humanity. But it would be nice to think that we (as humanity) make it.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Several sci-fi movie buffs on here I see..
Sponsored