First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Science teacher
I've had out 2019 Lariat since March. I bought the trucked "used" from a dealer that was using it as a service loaner. After the first month I notice the coolant level was really low so took it in and they replaced a hose that was leaking. They filled the coolant level about a quarter inch above the max line on the coolant reservoir.

Fast forward to today and the level of coolant has dropped in the reservoir to right at the "min" line. Is it normal to have a slow reduction in coolant or do I have a slow leak?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I've had out 2019 Lariat since March. I bought the trucked "used" from a dealer that was using it as a service loaner. After the first month I notice the coolant level was really low so took it in and they replaced a hose that was leaking. They filled the coolant level about a quarter inch advice the max line on the coolant reservoir.

Fast forward to today and the level of coolant has dropped in the reservoir to right at the "min" line. Is it normal to have a slow reduction in coolant or do I have a slow leak?
No there should not be a slow reduction in level. It is possible they did not get all the air out of the system after replacing the hose. I believe there is a special procedure with the Ranger using vacuum to make sure there isn't an air bubble. Newer systems are different from the old days when the pressure cap was on the radiator.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
I've had out 2019 Lariat since March. I bought the trucked "used" from a dealer that was using it as a service loaner. After the first month I notice the coolant level was really low so took it in and they replaced a hose that was leaking. They filled the coolant level about a quarter inch above the max line on the coolant reservoir.

If you are at all worried that you do have a coolant leak into the engine - I would recommend an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs every time you get an oil change. You can get a free test kit here, just ask whoever is changing it to get you the sample mid-stream. They can measure things in your oil like calcium, magnesium and potassium, all of which are markers of a coolant leak if they trend upwards together.

OP
OP
humanprimate

humanprimate

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Science teacher
If you are at all worried that you do have a coolant leak into the engine - I would recommend an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs every time you get an oil change. You can get a free test kit here, just ask whoever is changing it to get you the sample mid-stream. They can measure things in your oil like calcium, magnesium and potassium, all of which are markers of a coolant leak if they trend upwards together.
Thanks! Great idea.

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Oil with coolent in it would have a creamy chocolate look to it wouldn't it? Have you looked at it?

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Does it have the old orange coolant in it? Orange was bad about evaporation.
Edit. I woul just watch it. If it stays at the minimum line I wouldn't worry about it.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I thought mine might be evaporating, seems to be the case. Slowed down in the winter. Have had to add a few ounces of distilled water over the course of ownership for the last 22 months / 22k miles. I did an oil analysis for several reasons and it showed 0% coolant/water in oil

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
I wonder if it could be the water pump? Easy enough to get pressure tested and find out
Sponsored