OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I wish some Chinese company on Amazon, eBay, or Alibaba would hurry up and make a simple RTR style vent for what abs plastic really cost, about $19.99 and a boat ride from the motherland.

I refuse to pay $200 for $5 in plastic. I get it that injection machine moldings are costly to to create to begin production, but if I have a line in the sand, this is it, but China seems to be able to create moldings for pennies on the dollar. Also, the "But muh R&D budget" retort doesn't really fly with non functional vents...

Oh who am I kidding, RTR wheels are made in China, so the vents probably come from the department downstairs in the Jaingxi province factory.

When I met up with @Glocker , another well known YT ranger owner was telling us how a company accidently sent him one of their invoices for purchases, not the invoice from them for his purchase. You guys would puke if you knew how much companies are paying for things made of plastic at wholesale. I have no reason to doubt what he said, it might as well be common knowledge these days.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
One “trick” the Chinese pull is someone places an order for a mold to be made. Be it OEM or bran name aftermarket. Supply the drawings and they wack one mold set out. Then after that sale they make 5 to 10 more for the aftermarket shills. They make bank on these counterfeit molds. Now the difference in visuals is impossible to detect. The plastic used is another story. 4 to 6 years on the knockoffs will have them disintegrating and the originals will last a decade or more. We don’t have molds made in China anymore although they’re half of what they cost here. We make that back in total sales now!

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
4 to 6 years on the knockoffs will have them disintegrating and the originals will last a decade or more. We don’t have molds made in China anymore although they’re half of what they cost here. We make that back in total sales now!
Well, I mean that's good for the planet though, right?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
One “trick” the Chinese pull is someone places an order for a mold to be made. Be it OEM or bran name aftermarket. Supply the drawings and they wack one mold set out. Then after that sale they make 5 to 10 more for the aftermarket shills. They make bank on these counterfeit molds. Now the difference in visuals is impossible to detect. The plastic used is another story. 4 to 6 years on the knockoffs will have them disintegrating and the originals will last a decade or more. We don’t have molds made in China anymore although they’re half of what they cost here. We make that back in total sales now!
Yeah. Another trick they use is what I've heard called a "ghost shift" at the factory. At the end of the day, when the factory "closes" the production line stays open, and the product is packed into a different box and goes on a different shipping container, off book. Cheeky!

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
If our vents were the same as the overseas rangers, we would have some Ching Chong options

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I don't like the vents but I'll either keep them, plastidip them or put nice ones like the RTRs on before I buy knockoff chinese crap that will fade or fall off in a couple years. Why downgrade the truck?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like the vents but I'll either keep them, plastidip them or put nice ones like the RTRs on before I buy knockoff chinese crap that will fade or fall off in a couple years. Why downgrade the truck?
Honestly this line of thinking is a posturing half truth for lack of a better description.

You do realize high dollar items for example iPhones and other electronics come from Chinese factories. Well your comment has some truth in it and the totality of the entire market it's not quite that simple.

It seems even a majority of the Gucci off-road items that you can buy come from China anyhow. Go ahead and check for yourself you'll find key phrases like assembled in America or designed in the USA. It's all b******* marketing. Usually if I want something American made the specific description you're looking for is manufactured in the USA but even in today's climate somebody could probably skew what the definition of manufacturer means to skirt getting slapped with a lawsuit.

Eibach painstakingly describes their products as designed r&d manufactured assembled etc extra all in the USA. Though honestly I haven't checked to see if their materials come from the USA as well.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
It seems even a majority of the Gucci off-road items that you can buy come from China anyhow. Go ahead and check for yourself you'll find key phrases like assembled in America or designed in the USA. It's all b******* marketing. Usually if I want something American made the specific description you're looking for is manufactured in the USA but even in today's climate somebody could probably skew what the definition of manufacturer means to skirt getting slapped with a lawsuit.

Eibach painstakingly describes their products as designed r&d manufactured assembled etc extra all in the USA. Though honestly I haven't checked to see if their materials come from the USA as well.
I can add to this, my previous jobs I made products that had made/built in the"great US of A" on it.
Big marketing ploy my employer used.

What I can say now that I'm no longer working for em, 80% of the parts were made in china, rest were usually global sourced and very little was made in the states.

The CNC department didn't MAKE anything, they simply "modified" materials from overseas. The product in question was (again, I'm intentionally being secretive) High dollar hunting equipment and weaponry.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly this line of thinking is a posturing half truth for lack of a better description.

You do realize high dollar items for example iPhones and other electronics come from Chinese factories. Well your comment has some truth in it and the totality of the entire market it's not quite that simple.

An American company with actual QC, even if outsourcing to china is going to be better than a cheap knockoff made by Goxuwee on Amazon.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
An American company with actual QC, even if outsourcing to china is going to be better than a cheap knockoff made by Goxuwee on Amazon.
You think most companies who outsource QC once it lands in port?

Dude, that stuff is made, boxed, and arrives on pallets ready to sell.

However, US companies can specify materials used and schematics to follow. Chinese factories are happy to follow specific instructions as long as the dollar bills flow correctly.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
So nothing you own is made in China huh?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yeah. Another trick they use is what I've heard called a "ghost shift" at the factory. At the end of the day, when the factory "closes" the production line stays open, and the product is packed into a different box and goes on a different shipping container, off book. Cheeky!
Often referred to as "Third Shift Manufacturing"

OEM products continue being manufactured but conveniently "miss" the part of the line that applies the trademark.

Unauthorized Third Shift Products
This phenomenon is often called the “third shift”, and originally the term was meant literally. Factories in China would run two ordinary shifts making products for their legitimate customers, but then remain open through the night in order to churn out extra product off the books. These third shift goods aren’t counterfeits in the traditional sense of the word. OEMs use exactly the same materials and production processes to make additional products that are then sold through unauthorized channels. This makes it exceptionally difficult even for the brands themselves to tell authorized and unauthorized items apart.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You think most companies who outsource QC once it lands in port?

Dude, that stuff is made, boxed, and arrives on pallets ready to sell.

However, US companies can specify materials used and schematics to follow. Chinese factories are happy to follow specific instructions as long as the dollar bills flow correctly.
Most of my life I worked in QC. Every company that outsourced to China did indeed test products here.