Should I buy a 2019 leftover or a used Ranger?

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Follow-up on my post from earlier this week (#11 in this thread). I tracked down the original owner yesterday & called to ask about the key code, as it was missing when I looked through all of the stuff in the owners manual package.

She said it's the Ingot Silver XLT 4X4 with a 302A package, sliding rear window, tech pack, remote start, rear diff locker, tow package, perimeter anti-theft, sport package & they added the bed liner, running boards, window tint & floor mat liners. They paid $43,000 at the dealers with tax & license, so our price of $36,390 (with tax & license included) doesn't sound too bad. It's a used vehicle, but the 400 miles showing didn't bother me too much in light of the price & low miles. Glad I spoke with her about the truck, I'm liking it better all the time. I would not have paid what they wanted at the dealership for this truck, but after driving it, I can see why people like this type of rig.

I didn't even know about the remote start feature & just started using it after speaking with her. It's nice to have the motor warmed up & the air conditioner running when I get in. Will be even better to have it warmed up in the winter when it's cold. Still not used to the cold stuff in Raton after 47 years in Tucson & the heat. Still grinning when I get in to go for a ride!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Follow-up on my post from earlier this week (#11 in this thread). I tracked down the original owner yesterday & called to ask about the key code, as it was missing when I looked through all of the stuff in the owners manual package.

She said it's the Ingot Silver XLT 4X4 with a 302A package, sliding rear window, tech pack, remote start, rear diff locker, tow package, perimeter anti-theft, sport package & they added the bed liner, running boards, window tint & floor mat liners. They paid $43,000 at the dealers with tax & license, so our price of $36,390 (with tax & license included) doesn't sound too bad. It's a used vehicle, but the 400 miles showing didn't bother me too much in light of the price & low miles. Glad I spoke with her about the truck, I'm liking it better all the time. I would not have paid what they wanted at the dealership for this truck, but after driving it, I can see why people like this type of rig.

I didn't even know about the remote start feature & just started using it after speaking with her. It's nice to have the motor warmed up & the air conditioner running when I get in. Will be even better to have it warmed up in the winter when it's cold. Still not used to the cold stuff in Raton after 47 years in Tucson & the heat. Still grinning when I get in to go for a ride!
Just curious - was the story the dealership told you what really happened (the guy had dementia)?

I do think you got quite a good deal. You got like a $7 - $8000 discount over sticker for a truck with 400 miles. I'd take that anyday.

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I know, it's a true story. The owner didn't say why they sold the truck, only that her husband didn't "need" it anymore, so I'm thinking it might actually be a real story with some truth to it. I didn't want to ask her, figured it would be pretty rude, so I just acted stupid about it...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I know, it's a true story. The owner didn't say why they sold the truck, only that her husband didn't "need" it anymore, so I'm thinking it might actually be a real story with some truth to it. I didn't want to ask her, figured it would be pretty rude, so I just acted stupid about it...
Sure - I just kind of assumed it might have been the kids you talked to, but if it was the wife then I absolutely understand. That would be kind of rude to ask. Must be a hard time for her. Dementia in any form is a brutal thing.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Just bought a "used" (with 412 miles) XLT, 4X4, Crew Cab, Tow package, Silver paint, 8" sync-screen (nav system), power seats, carpet etc, the deep foot liners, co-pilot 360 with the lane assist, adaptive cruise, bed liner, 17" black spoke alloy rims, running boards, perimeter alarm system, but it was from a Honda Dealer, so there was no sticker.

Haven't been able to pull up the MSRP from the vin yet. Clean report on recalls, accidents, etc.
2019XLT.jpg

They said the guy who bought it was diagnosed with dementia after he paid for it & lost his license (sales BS, just don't know?). Out the door price was $34,991 so I'm curious what people think about this deal. Was it OK based on the miles & options?
sales people lie about everything, its in their dna, if their iq was lower they would be politicians. i once traded a manual jeep in a few weeks later i still saw it on their lot. i called inquiring about the price thinkn they may be askn too much. i got a salesman who seemed nice, it was priced decent and whn i asked about the kind of trans he said manual...then went into a whole unneeded story how they got it because a dad got it for his teenaged daughted who just couldnt master a manual...
Really? i was about to blow my cover and start laughing. He couldnt just say, we got it in on trade...? liars, ALL of them.

Shadowranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger and 2013 Volkswagen passat
Occupation
Owner and operator Xplicit wraps
Hello all,

I'm sold on the Ranger, the only issue is that's it's significantly over my budget. I'm trying to get the best price I can on a new Ranger. My ideas are to

A. Wait for the 2020s to come and get a great deal on a 2019 leftover. Although my local incentives are about 2,500 I'm curious if they'll improve this winter to make room.

B. Wait a little longer until there's a used market. I already see a couple on Autotrader

C. Just take the 2k incentives offered now

Would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks!
Hi, you might keep an eye out on car gurus. I wanted a crew cab with all the options available but at $45,300 was way over my budget, I kept looking at car gurus every day and about every hours haha. Until I found an 2019 lariat fx4 4 with the appearance package, basically all the options available, but the catch is that is came as a CPO but only 600 miles on the odo. Which you know its nothing. It was reduced to 36,995 but since it was the end of the month, I came ready with a check from my credit union and worked the price down to $35000 otd, plus tax and license of course, . So after finance it came out to $38,300 and I paid the taxes out of pocket. I mean at the end of the day I saved a total of $10,300 off the msrp and all I had to sacrifice was a mear 600 miles

Stan McKinney

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger,
sales people lie about everything, its in their dna, if their iq was lower they would be politicians. i once traded a manual jeep in a few weeks later i still saw it on their lot. i called inquiring about the price thinkn they may be askn too much. i got a salesman who seemed nice, it was priced decent and whn i asked about the kind of trans he said manual...then went into a whole unneeded story how they got it because a dad got it for his teenaged daughted who just couldnt master a manual...
Really? i was about to blow my cover and start laughing. He couldnt just say, we got it in on trade...? liars, ALL of them.
A manual? Rare Ranger. Was the sales person that stupid?

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I found a used 2019, Lariat, magnetic, chrome appearance package, running boards, sprayed in liner, AVS Window vents, FX4 and tow package, 4700 miles. First salesman I actually enjoyed talking to. Nice guy. He wasn't sure how they got the truck, maybe part of a loaner fleet from another dealer. $39990 was the asking price. I thought it was a bit much for a used vehicle. He actually tossed me the keys and I gave my girlfriend a ride in it. She really liked it. I think now she understands why I want one.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I found a used 2019, Lariat, magnetic, chrome appearance package, running boards, sprayed in liner, AVS Window vents, FX4 and tow package, 4700 miles. First salesman I actually enjoyed talking to. Nice guy. He wasn't sure how they got the truck, maybe part of a loaner fleet from another dealer. $39990 was the asking price. I thought it was a bit much for a used vehicle. He actually tossed me the keys and I gave my girlfriend a ride in it. She really liked it. I think now she understands why I want one.
Yeah, that seems kind of high to me for a vehicle with almost 5k miles on it. Good luck in your negotiations if you decide to try and buy it!

brun0

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 CC
Id say this. wait and buy a used 2019. you can probably buy an xlt 302a fully loaded trim level with all the bells and whistles for the cost of a new 2020 XLT 301A package with limited options. Do yourself a favor and dont settle just so you can own a truck, buy a truck youll be happy with for years down the road! :)
Sponsored