Sensor problem? Driver door ajar (although it's not).....causing alarm to trigger?

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
I've only had mine about 3 weeks....but I think I'm having some issues with sensors.

I will regularly get an alert that the driver side door is open....although it never has been. And my alarm triggers constantly....the ford pass app says "security system has detected door opened and triggered the alarm". The alarm triggers so much, I've stopped locking my doors, which obviously I don't care for.

I'm no car computer expert, but it seems like there's an issue with the driver door sensor....and if that's the case, that could make sense that it also trips the alarm when it's locked. And the other day, I got the driver door ajar message plus an alert that the vehicle was not in park......as I was pulling out of a drive thru....so no, it wasn't in park....and the door was 100% closed. Luckily, I filmed video of this and can show it to the dealer. It went nuts for 2-3 minutes straight as I was driving.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, from day 1, I constantly get a message to check for rear occupants every time I turn the truck off. I'm guessing that's another sensor issue.

Obviously, I'll mention these issues when I get my 1st oil change....but was just curious if anyone else experienced any of these.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There's been a few who've had some bad wiring, I think it was chaffing behind the front lights or a bad ground. Also while you're waiting you could try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and seeing it that helps. Some have electrical gremlins that needed to be reset.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Also, from day 1, I constantly get a message to check for rear occupants every time I turn the truck off. I'm guessing that's another sensor issue.
That's a safety feature, too many kids left in the rear seats. It sets when you have opened the rear doors within 15 minutes of startup and will alert you when the ignition is switched off. It can be temporarily disabled

SWITCHING REAR OCCUPANT ALERT SYSTEM ON AND OFF

1. Press Settings on the touchscreen.
  1. Press Vehicle.
  1. Switch Rear Occupant Alert on or off.
Note: The default setting is on.
Note: Performing a master reset causes the system to switch on again.
Semiannual Reminder (If Equipped)
When you switch the system off, a message appears every six months as a reminder that the system is off. You can switch the system back on or leave it off.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's been a few who've had some bad wiring, I think it was chaffing behind the front lights or a bad ground. Also while you're waiting you could try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and seeing it that helps. Some have electrical gremlins that needed to be reset.
That's what I'm afraid of.....I have also since found this thread:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/door-ajar-in-super-cabs-warning-when-they-are-not-ajar.12540/

In that thread, it was a bad ground. Sweet. Now I get to play the "we didn't find anything" back and forth BS with the dealer.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's what I'm afraid of.....I have also since found this thread:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/door-ajar-in-super-cabs-warning-when-they-are-not-ajar.12540/

In that thread, it was a bad ground. Sweet. Now I get to play the "we didn't find anything" back and forth BS with the dealer.
There was a post from Phil @P. A. Schilke a while back and I think he was more familiar with where it was happening. Maybe he can shed some light on it and at least you'll have that post to show the service guys.

Kodiacnb

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Super cab
Occupation
Retired Postal Worker
I've only had mine about 3 weeks....but I think I'm having some issues with sensors.

I will regularly get an alert that the driver side door is open....although it never has been. And my alarm triggers constantly....the ford pass app says "security system has detected door opened and triggered the alarm". The alarm triggers so much, I've stopped locking my doors, which obviously I don't care for.

I'm no car computer expert, but it seems like there's an issue with the driver door sensor....and if that's the case, that could make sense that it also trips the alarm when it's locked. And the other day, I got the driver door ajar message plus an alert that the vehicle was not in park......as I was pulling out of a drive thru....so no, it wasn't in park....and the door was 100% closed. Luckily, I filmed video of this and can show it to the dealer. It went nuts for 2-3 minutes straight as I was driving.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Obviously, I'll mention these issues when I get my 1st oil change....but was just curious if anyone else experienced any of these.
I initially had the same problem with my Scab, and traced it to the rear door sensor (At top of rear door). The sensor wasn't fully connecting on closure. So I just closed from holding the top of the rear door as I shut it. Works great now. But this is with the suicide doors, I'm not sure how/where the sensors in the Screws are? I just didn't want the dealer to mess my door up by trying to fix the problem. But now mine works fine.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
This ^^^^

I close my Scab rear doors from top.
Don't seem to have the problem anymore, just went away...

Thought I read 'Senior problem....'

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I initially had the same problem with my Scab, and traced it to the rear door sensor (At top of rear door). The sensor wasn't fully connecting on closure. So I just closed from holding the top of the rear door as I shut it. Works great now. But this is with the suicide doors, I'm not sure how/where the sensors in the Screws are? I just didn't want the dealer to mess my door up by trying to fix the problem. But now mine works fine.
This ^^^^

I close my Scab rear doors from top.
Don't seem to have the problem anymore, just went away...
I had to do the same on my '99 B4000 Cab Plus and my dad's 2007 F150 extended cap. Never got a 'door ajar' message but the door wouldn't latch properly, and you get a rattle go down the street.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There was a post from Phil @P. A. Schilke a while back and I think he was more familiar with where it was happening. Maybe he can shed some light on it and at least you'll have that post to show the service guys.
HI C,

What I found on my 2019 was the connector behind the left headlight was not completely seated. Almost impossible to reach for a 72 year old person. I had all sort of sensor errors including door ajar... I was able to get one hand on this connector and with summoning all the strength I could muster, I squeezed the two parts of the connector and got a "Click"... Problem solved. Others have found the driverside connector on the frame rail has caused similar issues as it contains the rear parking sensor feeds.... This connector was subject to a NHTSA recall as it also affected the rear taillights and brake lights... May not be your problem... Good luck.

Sorry for the less than timely response, but have too many fish frying right now...

Best,
Phil

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
That's a safety feature, too many kids left in the rear seats. It sets when you have opened the rear doors within 15 minutes of startup and will alert you when the ignition is switched off. It can be temporarily disabled

SWITCHING REAR OCCUPANT ALERT SYSTEM ON AND OFF

1. Press Settings on the touchscreen.
  2. Press Vehicle.
  3. Switch Rear Occupant Alert on or off.
Note: The default setting is on.
Note: Performing a master reset causes the system to switch on again.
Semiannual Reminder (If Equipped)
When you switch the system off, a message appears every six months as a reminder that the system is off. You can switch the system back on or leave it off.
I got it always on my GM truck, as I always have gear, covers for dogs, etc. etc. etc, in the back seat. Must be off on my Ranger.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I got it always on my GM truck, as I always have gear, covers for dogs, etc. etc. etc, in the back seat. Must be off on my Ranger.
It's not just having something that stays back there. Try this. Next time you go into your truck, open a back door before you start up. See if you get the warning when you switch off the ignition.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well....leaving the dealer now. Of course they didn't find anything. I told them I had 20 different videos on my phone of the issue....but they didn't even ask to look. They said to bring it in as it's doing it.....so here we go.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Yes I had a past post with door ajar problems . After 2 trips to dealer they found loose ground wire under fronyt seat . They removed pass. side seat to fix the problem . Drove me crazy for a few weeks . Fooled me because sometimes when I slammed the doors it cured the problem .

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I had a past post with door ajar problems . After 2 trips to dealer they found loose ground wire under fronyt seat . They removed pass. side seat to fix the problem . Drove me crazy for a few weeks . Fooled me because sometimes when I slammed the doors it cured the problem .
I saw your old thread....sounds IDENTICAL.

I told them I had researched it and it was either a bad sensor connection or a bad ground....and I had countless videos of it doing it. But, like I said, they didn't find anything.

How was your bad ground diagnosed? Did you get lucky and it did it with the dealer?

Last edited:
OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still having the issue....it's a daily thing. I called the dealer on Saturday....I was close by and it had been giving me the alert ALL day constantly....so I called to see if I could bring it in since I was relatively close. They were too busy on Saturday and were going to be closing in an hour or two, but they scheduled me for 3:00 today to have another look. It was doing it this morning on my drive in to work.....hopefully it's still doing it this afternoon. HOPEFULLY, they can find something today.
Sponsored