First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
When you break it out into a 72-month loan using Ford's own calculator it's less than $150/month difference between the two trucks. Obviously everyone's financials are different but if you actually even need a truck in the first place, in my (meaningless) opinion, that $150 extra is more than worth it for the F-150.

72 months? I'd faint agreeing to that long of a loan. I just did the math with a 48.5k 72 mo loan you're paying about 5,000 in interest alone (Ford and other lenders interest goes higher than the 1.9% for 60 at 72 mo. or more) I checked and it was 3% for 72 mo.

I borrowed about 27k on my truck for 60 mo.'s at 1.89%. That's about 1,300 in interest.

Not so insignificant now?
Sponsored

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
72 months? I'd faint agreeing to that long of a loan. I just did the math with a 48.5k 72 mo loan you're paying about 5,000 in interest alone (Ford and other lenders interest goes higher than the 1.9% for 60 at 72 mo. or more) I checked and it was 3% for 72 mo.

I borrowed about 27k on my truck for 60 mo.'s at 1.89%. That's about 1,300 in interest.

Not so insignificant now?
It's 1.9% for 72 months on the Ford website for me and 0.9% at my credit union so it's really not faint-worthy in my eyes. I guess this is a pointless argument though because no two budgets are the same. In the end it's worth it to me personally to spend more to get what I perceive is a better value.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
It's 1.9% for 72 months on the Ford website for me and 0.9% at my credit union so it's really not faint-worthy in my eyes. I guess this is a pointless argument though because no two budgets are the same. In the end it's worth it to me personally to spend more to get what I perceive is a better value.
Please show me both? I actually under-estimated interest - lowest Ford is offering in Georgia is 3.9 @ 72. I would also doubt your CU is offering 0.9% for 72 but I'd be glad to check that too if you share the details.

interest.png

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Please show me both? I actually under-estimated interest - lowest Ford is offering in Georgia is 3.9 @ 72. I would also doubt your CU is offering 0.9% for 72 but I'd be glad to check that too if you share the details.

interest.png
Here is Ford's offer, to get the rate from the CU you have to fill out a preliminary application so since I'm not going to do that I'll just retract my quote of 0.9%. I'm in eastern NY state just for reference.

Untitled.jpg

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
The fact of the matter is that our Ranger’s interiors are very outdated and Ford definitely cut corners. That being said, all of the midsize truck segment is subpar in that department and it’s horrible for consumers. I still love my truck, but I can also acknowledge that the interior is not great and I'm pretty disappointed in the fit and finish after living with her for 2 years. I would have much preferred the new bronco sport interior or a shrunken down F150 interior. Even a little ford ecosport can get a heated steering wheel and a moonroof, but not a $50K fully loaded ranger? Seems silly…

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
Here is Ford's offer, to get the rate from the CU you have to fill out a preliminary application so since I'm not going to do that I'll just retract my quote of 0.9%. I'm in eastern NY state just for reference.

Untitled.jpg
Ah, I see. Better interest rate offered on the F150 vs. Ranger.

Thanks for clearing that up!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Here's the real counterpoint: Can midsizers ever actually be smaller full-sized trucks? I don't think so.

I don't think there's enough cost savings in downsizing everything ~10% for a midsized truck to still manage the lesser transaction prices on midsized trucks while offering equal content to full-sized trucks.
This is exactly the mindset that's the problem: it's not about the money, some people just want a smaller truck. They don't care how great the F150 is, they just don't want to drive around in one. But the manufacturers have this inability to position the midsize offerings as anything other than "budget trucks" and treat them accordingly. If someone wants to buy an entry level, that's fine and I'm glad they have the option--but if someone is paying $40k+ for a higher trim, there's no real reason they shouldn't get the same level of interior quality they'd get paying $40k for a car except that manufacturers have managed to get away with not selling that thing. I would have given ford more money for more functionality, but they didn't want my money. I would have bought something other than a ford but there was nothing better available. Now there are more options, and I may well buy something different next time if someone other than ford will sell me what I want to buy.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The fact of the matter is that our Ranger’s interiors are very outdated and Ford definitely cut corners. That being said, all of the midsize truck segment is subpar in that department and it’s horrible for consumers. I still love my truck, but I can also acknowledge that the interior is not great and I'm pretty disappointed in the fit and finish after living with her for 2 years. I would have much preferred the new bronco sport interior or a shrunken down F150 interior. Even a little ford ecosport can get a heated steering wheel and a moonroof, but not a $50K fully loaded ranger? Seems silly…
Who the hell pays $50k for a loaded Ranger?

Taking the current cluterfuck out of the equation, I paid $40k for my loaded Lariat less than a year ago. I shopped F-150s at the same time. Dollar for dollar I could've got a SCrew 4x4 2.7l F-150 XL for the same price.

Anybody saying that F-150s cost the same as Rangers just hasn't done their homework.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
but if someone is paying $40k+ for a higher trim, there's no real reason they shouldn't get the same level of interior quality they'd get paying $40k for a car
That's wrong and assumes that cars and trucks cost the same to develop and make.

Here's the reality - when you buy a truck the extra money goes into building a certifying a vehicle that can tow 7,500 lbs and handle rough environments. There's cost in the basic structural differences of a body-on-frame rwd versus a fwd architecture.

Please show me a $40,000 car that can tow 7,500 lbs and climb the side of a mountain the way the Ranger can.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That's wrong and assumes that cars and trucks cost the same to develop and make.

Here's the reality - when you buy a truck the extra money goes into building a certifying a vehicle that can tow 7,500 lbs and handle rough environments. There's cost in the basic structural differences of a body-on-frame rwd versus a fwd architecture.

Please show me a $40,000 car that can tow 7,500 lbs and climb the side of a mountain the way the Ranger can.
What does that have to do with whether they pulled the dash components from a 2003 taurus or something newer? The cost of the basic structural differences are covered in the $25k base cost, so the next $15k is...what? Do you really think that everything in the ranger interior was designed specifically for the ranger, based on its ability to help tow? Do you think that the price difference between the XL and the Lariat has something to do with towing, or that the R&D for attaching all the parts-bin components to the t6 platform is the sole basis for the extra costs (rather than just padding profits?) Do you think the next generation is going to have the same interior, and won't be updated because it's impossible? This is nothing but a question of priorities. Ford doesn't really need to try harder to make a quality interior for this market segment and won't unless/until a competitor does. As long as they can continue to make profits while putting in a half-assed effort, that's what they'll do. As customers our choices are to put up with it or not buy a midsize truck, but sure as hell it's not a great route to customer loyalty.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
What does that have to do with whether they pulled the dash components from a 2003 taurus or something newer? The cost of the basic structural differences are covered in the $25k base cost, so the next $15k is...what? Do you really think that everything in the ranger interior was designed specifically for the ranger, based on its ability to help tow? Do you think that the price difference between the XL and the Lariat has something to do with towing, or that the R&D for attaching all the parts-bin components to the t6 platform is the sole basis for the extra costs (rather than just padding profits?) Do you think the next generation is going to have the same interior, and won't be updated because it's impossible? This is nothing but a question of priorities. Ford doesn't really need to try harder to make a quality interior for this market segment and won't unless/until a competitor does. As long as they can continue to make profits while putting in a half-assed effort, that's what they'll do. As customers our choices are to put up with it or not buy a midsize truck, but sure as hell it's not a great route to customer loyalty.
I don't disagree entirely but I will point out two things.

First, the Ranger does improve interior quality as price goes up, the hard plastic dash on my STX is soft touch stitched on a Lariat. Other changes exist, too.

Second, the lower trims are less profitable for Ford, so yes you're paying more than actual cost for the "luxury" features. A base XL does far less to keep the Ranger profitable than a fully-loaded Lariat does. In fact, Ford might be selling them at near cost. So no, just because. $25k option exists, doesn't suggest Ford is charging too much for higher trims. Think about the base $20k Maverick. Ford isn't stocking any at dealers, custom order only. I bet the Maverick wouldn't exist if they only offered a $20k version.
Sponsored