Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys.. new here, first post. So sorry if this has been answered before. Just got the ranger back from wrapping and am looking to put a lift on it. The rim specifications on backspacing seem to be very specific with the bds kit. Anyone have any experience with what rims to run at what offset to make these work? I'd rather not run spacers if it's an option as it's one more failure point.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome Nick!

Our resident Ford Ranger Engineer, Phil, would 100% agree with your “one more failure point” observation. The big pitfall with these trucks is going too low or negative in your offset and running wider, taller tires. The factory anti-intrusion beams (crash bars) can get in the way if you go too big with your tires or too low in offset. With a 3” lift, you can likely go as big as 275/70/17 on stock wheels. Might need aftermarket crash bars, might not. Go to 285s and you’d need a 1/4” or 1/2” spacer to clear the knuckle - go to fat and you hit the crash bars. It’s a delicate balance.

So, try to keep your wheel offset higher than +25mm and you’ll have more tire options. You can easily run 265/70/17s on stock wheels with zero modifications - and they look just as good as 32s or some 33s.

Check out the tire and wheel threads

OP
OP
Ransakked

Ransakked

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome Nick!

Our resident Ford Ranger Engineer, Phil, would 100% agree with your “one more failure point” observation. The big pitfall with these trucks is going too low or negative in your offset and running wider, taller tires. The factory anti-intrusion beams (crash bars) can get in the way if you go too big with your tires or too low in offset. With a 3” lift, you can likely go as big as 275/70/17 on stock wheels. Might need aftermarket crash bars, might not. Go to 285s and you’d need a 1/4” or 1/2” spacer to clear the knuckle - go to fat and you hit the crash bars. It’s a delicate balance.

So, try to keep your wheel offset higher than +25mm and you’ll have more tire options. You can easily run 265/70/17s on stock wheels with zero modifications - and they look just as good as 32s or some 33s.

Check out the tire and wheel threads
Thanks for the wealth of information I'll be certain to check out the resource you listed. I appreciate the help.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the wealth of information I'll be certain to check out the resource you listed. I appreciate the help.
Are you in Florida? I ask, because Ocala is a prison here in Canada. ?

OP
OP
Ransakked

Ransakked

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Are you in Florida? I ask, because Ocala is a prison here in Canada. ?
Lol yeah ocala florida here. Although funnily enough in my previous profession I was a correctional officer.
Sponsored