John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Gawd! At Toyota it's equalivent to needing an act of congress and having wisdom teeth pulled. Love it Ford guys.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Probably someone out fishing and took both sets of keys with them. "Whoops, what were those splashes?"

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Probably someone out fishing and took both sets of keys with them. "Whoops, what were those splashes?"
Well I've been known to dive in a lake under the ice for much less than 2 250$ sets of keys...

DaniStone

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I went to a dealer to program new key because I had no idea how to do it myself. I really hate that the manual does not help at all and that we have to pay too much for dealers to do it. They took $300 from me for that and I thought that it is an ok price until my friend told me that he has done it for much cheaper with locksmith. He did a simple google search for locksmiths seattle and he found Emerald Locksmiths. He told me that their locksmith did it really quick and for less money than I paid, wish I knew that before I did it.

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
even if the electronics are fried?
Electronic key fobs are remarkably resilient when it comes to having been submerged in water. Speaking from experience...uh...of a friend.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Electronic key fobs are remarkably resilient when it comes to having been submerged in water. Speaking from experience...uh...of a friend.
Yes they are. A few summers ago I went swimming in the ocean with my Focus RS key fob in my pocket. It was forth of July and I was 600 miles from home on vacation. Long story short. Opened it up, rinsed it in fresh water, put it in a bag of rice for a day, replaced battery and it recovered.:) I still use it today.

I did learn a few things. The code in the key is not battery dependent. The vehicle learns the key code not the other way around. There is a place in most Fords where you can place a dead key and still be able to start it. It's here on the Ranger.

1593808594173.png

Place the passive key in the position shown, with the buttons facing upward. Make sure that you place the key fob in the center of the cup holder. The top or bottom end of the key must be pointing towards the front or rear of the vehicle. With the key in this position, press the brake or clutch pedal, then press the start button to switch on your vehicle.

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
LOL, ok, who's going to admit to being the one...
U
Someone already lost all their keys!

If you have two original keys you can make another yourself, did so on my 22. Bought OEM key on eBay $40. Identical to original. Went to my locksmith who cut the key, $10. Followed the instructions in the owners manual, done, piece of cake. Easiest Ford I've ever done.
I do this first week I get a new Ford, if you lose one, you can always make another.
Sponsored