key not flipping out of key flob

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Only 4k miles on the Ranger and the key will not flip out of the key fob. So, opened the fob and found grease that has hardened a bit. I did NOT remove the key from the button side of the fob housing as it holds the spring between it and the key. Grease was on the battery side of the housing. Cleaned up the excess grease and added a small drop of pellgunoil oil, only stuff i had at hand. Flip-out key is working like new when compared to my spare key that has never been used. Going with the oil for awhile but will switch it grease at some point. Will probably use same grease i have for the glock . https://shooters-choice.com/synthetic-all-weather-high-tech-grease/

How to open the fob
Ranger fob battrey change
once battery cover is off remove the screw and pry the fob open. Carefully!!
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Same thing happened to mine, I just worked it back and forth a few times and it seems to have smoothed out. I have nearly 30K-Miles on the truck, so the key has spent it's fair share of time in a dirty jean pocket.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Both my FOBs did this--Started with FOB pointing away from me-Key in closed position, facing 6 o'clock position--Release key and hold in the 9 o'clock position--small roll pin at base of key had moved/extended outside the key-pushed/center back into position, using small pliers-- now flush on both sides--Works great, no lube needed, as pin was rubbing/contacting side of FOB housing!!:like:

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
My key just started sticking and I tried lubing and the roll pin push thing, but it still sticks. I am afraid I might need more intervention, perhaps a young priest and an old priest too...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My key just started sticking and I tried lubing and the roll pin push thing, but it still sticks. I am afraid I might need more intervention, perhaps a young priest and an old priest too...
Hi Michel,

What lube? WD40 is not a lube. I would recommend something like Garage Door Chain lube. Having been in Clock repair for some 43 years now I would use the synthetic lube, but expensive for what you need. Hardware stores sell a product called Loc Ease. Might work.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I had this happen the little black pin was sticking out on one side so i just pushed it back in a bit and wiped the blade down to clean it up and blew some lint out

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
My key Fob doesn't have a flip out key. I had that on my Jetta. I kept clicking it like a switchblade. My key fob has a button one presses and the key lifts out, removing it from the fob. Seems like it would be a valet key, or maybe a door key. I dont think I even have an ignition switch on mine, just a button I press.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My key is getting close to 3 years old and it’s starting to become too loose. Seems like it actually wears out and doesn’t stay fully closed. Going to figure out how to disassemble this thing and maybe fix it some how.

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
My key Fob doesn't have a flip out key. I had that on my Jetta. I kept clicking it like a switchblade. My key fob has a button one presses and the key lifts out, removing it from the fob. Seems like it would be a valet key, or maybe a door key. I dont think I even have an ignition switch on mine, just a button I press.
You have a Lariat? Yours is push button start. The key you have hidden in the fob is used to open the door in case the car battery is dead. All other Ranger models have a physical key ignition.

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Only 4k miles on the Ranger and the key will not flip out of the key fob. So, opened the fob and found grease that has hardened a bit. I did NOT remove the key from the button side of the fob housing as it holds the spring between it and the key. Grease was on the battery side of the housing. Cleaned up the excess grease and added a small drop of pellgunoil oil, only stuff i had at hand. Flip-out key is working like new when compared to my spare key that has never been used. Going with the oil for awhile but will switch it grease at some point. Will probably use same grease i have for the glock . https://shooters-choice.com/synthetic-all-weather-high-tech-grease/

How to open the fob
Ranger fob battrey change
once battery cover is off remove the screw and pry the fob open. Carefully!!
Sounds a lot like my gas door. (200 miles total)

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I had the same issue about 6 months ago. I took apart my FOB and noticed a light grease used. The fine grit from keeping in my pocket had mixed with the grease and there was the issue. Cleaned it all up and used a dry lubricant. Something like lock graphite would work well. I had some moly powder so the key really flicks now. Reassembly took 2 tries to get the spring wound the right way

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
this happened on a key for the big money waste (bmw). of course the dealer was happy to set me up with a new key for the cost of a kidney... i opened it up and found a shameful amount of pocket fuzz and what seemed like strawberry milkshake inside. cleaned it up and now it opens up as normal for the key. never used the key before.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2
Only problem I have with my key is that this little pin works its way loose. When it does the key doesn't want to shut or open correctly. When I feel it start to not open smoothly, I push it in and the problem is solved for a while. I had a VW key that did the same thing.
IMG_4154.jpg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Only problem I have with my key is that this little pin works its way loose. When it does the key doesn't want to shut or open correctly. When I feel it start to not open smoothly, I push it in and the problem is solved for a while. I had a VW key that did the same thing.
IMG_4154.jpg
reminds me of the pins that go in metal watch bracelets. i wonder if a dab of thread lock would keep it squared away without making problems?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
My key to my 2020 ranger was the complete oppisite. It wouldn't close all the way
Sponsored