First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2020 Ranger with the factory trailer tow package . The tow bar is rated for hitch weight of 750 lbs and tow capacity of 7500 lbs. I was considering replacing the tow bar with a unit from Draw-Tite that is rated at 1250 lbs of hitch weight and 7500 lbs of tow capacity. I do not for see me exceeding the original spec of 750 lbs of hitch weight by much - maybe to as much as 800 lbs. While searching the Ford Parts site I found that there is a rear frame module for the towing package ( Part #: 5F146 ) - so I assume this also has some sort of rating concerning weight (anyone know what that may be?). So the question is - If I replace the tow bar is my warranty voided? And would 800 lbs of hitch weight be detrimental to the frame???

Thanks in advance for any information
Sponsored

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I have a 2020 Ranger with the factory trailer tow package . The tow bar is rated for hitch weight of 750 lbs and tow capacity of 7500 lbs. I was considering replacing the tow bar with a unit from Draw-Tite that is rated at 1250 lbs of hitch weight and 7500 lbs of tow capacity. I do not for see me exceeding the original spec of 750 lbs of hitch weight by much - maybe to as much as 800 lbs. While searching the Ford Parts site I found that there is a rear frame module for the towing package ( Part #: 5F146 ) - so I assume this also has some sort of rating concerning weight (anyone know what that may be?). So the question is - If I replace the tow bar is my warranty voided? And would 800 lbs of hitch weight be detrimental to the frame???

Thanks in advance for any information
You can alternately do a load equalizing hitch.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure that Ford engineers would say it probably would be okay as we over build for stupid people. And the marketing people made up the number. And the lawyers lowered the number. So, who knows as with anything you stretch the limits and you takes your chances. Your experience may vary. :rockon: We bad, we bad.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure that Ford engineers would say it probably would be okay as we over build for stupid people. And the marketing people made up the number. And the lawyers lowered the number. So, who knows as with anything you stretch the limits and you takes your chances. Your experience may vary. :rockon: We bad, we bad.
Hi Thom,

The way it works is that the Program (including Marketing input) sets the parameters, The design engineers then design to these parameters. The development engineers test to the parameters which will include a factor of safety above the parameters. Up on successful completion of all of the testing reports are written and published internally. These are the documents to which the lawyers might refer as necessary. Lawyers do not change parameters, but you damn sure have the test reports and data for them when needed...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

OP
OP

Ranger_Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi Thom,

The way it works is that the Program (including Marketing input) sets the parameters, The design engineers than design to these parameters. The development engineers test to the parameters which will include a factor of safety above the parameters. Up on successful completion of all of the testing reports are written and published internally. These are the documents to which the lawyers might refer as necessary. Lawyers do not change parameters, but you damn sure have the test reports and data for them when needed...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil,

Who would I reach out to at Ford to help me determine if the change in the tow bar is within specs? As I stated in my original post, it appears as if the rear halve of the frame is perhaps different from a Ranger without the tow package(?).

Thanks again for the input.

Bob

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The bolt on hitch receiver can be added to any truck delivered without the tow package. There are no known frame differences.

OP
OP

Ranger_Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

CaliBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 Cyber Orange
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wondering why Ford would use this terminology for frame parts- Tow Module
Maybe to distinguish the rear sub frame of their trucks from their smaller cars' frames?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering why Ford would use this terminology for frame parts- Tow Module https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/b...rts-rear/kit-frame-rail-replacement-9935757-1
There is little likelyhood of a differnet frame between tow and non tow. At $14,000???? Gotta be crash parts and a rear frame stub with associated brackets etc... I think you might be in line to visit the dealer for a parts search to understand the Tow Module. I have no clue in the body crash arena. The prototypes we crashed, on purpose or "shit happens" were simply scrapped and written off...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The tow weight recommendations for this truck are not just for the size of the tow bar. I think that your question is if I put a 10,000 lb. tow bar on my truck then can I tow more weight than Ford says?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The tow weight recommendations for this truck are not just for the size of the tow bar. I think that your question is if I put a 10,000 lb. tow bar on my truck then can I tow more weight than Ford says?
Hi Thom,

Well stated.... You can tow any weight trailer you wish beyond Ford Max values....just remember that problems developed are on your dime...not Ford Warranty....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored