First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL- Cactus Grey
Occupation
Op X Manager
I installed the Roush CAI and was a bit underwhelmed by both performance and sound. I understand the performance was minimal but I was expecting some intake sound. My only experience with CAI is on BMW’s where the filter was exposed, not in a box.

With that in mind, I removed the clear sight plastic from the Roush lid. Instant difference in sound and maybe even throttle response. Has anyone does this? Any downside to doing this?
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I installed the Roush CAI and was a bit underwhelmed by both performance and sound. I understand the performance was minimal but I was expecting some intake sound. My only experience with CAI is on BMW’s where the filter was exposed, not in a box.

With that in mind, I removed the clear sight plastic from the Roush lid. Instant difference in sound and maybe even throttle response. Has anyone does this? Any downside to doing this?
Probably lost around 3 to 4 ounces of weight which automatically gained you between 37 and 54 hp. Of course that is just an estimate based on the extra sound you hear. :crackup:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I installed it and after spending that much money on what seems to basically be a better air filter, I convinced myself it sounded a million times better. ;)

I did notice more sound but I’m not sure if it was because I had my foot in it or if it just sounded better. To me, it was like going from a 2 bbl to a 4 bbl carb - not as loud or noticeable but there was something there.

Now, don’t get me all worked up about removing that plastic window. 😀

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger lariat
Doesn't removing the lod no longer make it a Cai? Isn't the entire point of the lid to keep engine bay heat out? Seems like you did just buy a different air filter in the end

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
The downside is sucking more shit into the filter

Depends on what you do and your environment. If you're a track star like @Loweredon33s it's not going to matter

If you bomb around through the mud or you live in moon dust climates like Colorado or New Mexico you might want to rethink it

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
The downside is sucking more shit into the filter

Depends on what you do and your environment. If you're a track star like @Loweredon33s it's not going to matter

If you bomb around through the mud or you live in moon dust climates like Colorado or New Mexico you might want to rethink it
Exactly why I always ask people what they use their truck for before I suggest certain parts.
Sponsored