First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Out of curiosity for those who have the Roush CAI have you had any dust in the intake tubes past the air filter?
Sponsored

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I have one but have not had the filter off yet but I will check tomorrow and post

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
I have one also but haven't checked but can. I don't see how it would very easily.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have one also but haven't checked but can. I don't see how it would very easily.
If anything is really just me questioning the filter media. Obviously the factory OEM paper does not allow any dirt and dust behind it but a K&N air filter will. With that being said I want to know how well the Roush does because I go off-road often enough that I don't want any dirt and dust getting past the air filter but would still like a higher flowing air filter if possible. That is why I am asking. I also appreciate both of you deciding to check this for me.

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
If anything is really just me questioning the filter media. Obviously the factory OEM paper does not allow any dirt and dust behind it but a K&N air filter will. With that being said I want to know how well the Roush does because I go off-road often enough that I don't want any dirt and dust getting past the air filter but would still like a higher flowing air filter if possible. That is why I am asking. I also appreciate both of you deciding to check this for me.
The way the filter clamped to the tubing I'd be shocked that anything get by.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The way the filter clamped to the tubing I'd be shocked that anything get by.
Yeah I'm not too concerned about the clamping part. That I'm sure is more than fine. It's just a question of the filter media. I'm sure Roush did choose a good material but I'm still skeptical for no good reason. Better to know ahead of time instead of making a dumb mistake.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In 20+ years running K&N on bikes, trucks and cars, I've never experienced this. Not once.

I'd be very interested in learning about your direct experience.
While I was living in Arizona where it is extremely dusty I have seen quite a few vehicles with K&N air filters letting dirt and dust right by. It got so bad it would wipe 2 cylinders out on a V8. Now in New Hampshire you may not experience that since there isnt as much dirt and dust.

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
Understood.

I did live in Northern Nevada for 10 years and ran a K&N CAI on my FJ Cruiser.

For heavy dust, they recommend either the precharger, or foam wrap. IMHO, serious dirt stuff should probably run an oiled foam filter.

Many folks do not properly clean and service the filters, which can certainly lead to challenges. I've seen lots of poorly serviced, or even unoiled (yes, bone-dry!) K&N filters in my journeys...

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I don’t see any dirt getting by my rough filter. But I can see his concerns because the rough filter for the ranger is oil less

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I've been running the drop in AFE dry flow S for about 10K miles without a trace a dirt on the airbox upper lid. I live on FL west coast next to the beaches and my engine bay is regularly full of sand. So i can give a vote for the AFE dry flow S if you are looking for something between the stock paper and a roush
Sponsored