First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
So as a retired LEO I have mounted many emergency lights in my POV, all were a PIA to wire the controller in the cab. There are solutions out there but most are very expensive. I have dealt with Strobes-N-More for years for lighting solutions so took a look at what they are offering. They have a Touch 6 unit that is very nice, includes everything you need for six outputs, but still requires a single multi-strand cable thru the firewall. The Feniex 4200 is very nice also, programmable, multi touch 7 button, but again you have to run a wire thru the firewall. Then I saw the EZ Remote wireless switch box, a 4 button remote like a garage door opener, and a control box in the engine bay with 2X 10A and 2X 20 amp outputs for lights, and it is on sale for $40 right now, so I ordered one as the reviews were good. This site sells equipment to First responders and emergency response departments. They also sell to the general public but some items will require a ID. (mostly restricted things like Blue lights and Sirens)
Here is the link for the 4 channel remote switch if interested. EZ Remote
And for the touch 6. Touch 6 Controller
Sponsored

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
So as a retired LEO I have mounted many emergency lights in my POV, all were a PIA to wire the controller in the cab. There are solutions out there but most are very expensive. I have dealt with Strobes-N-More for years for lighting solutions so took a look at what they are offering. They have a Touch 6 unit that is very nice, includes everything you need for six outputs, but still requires a single multi-strand cable thru the firewall. The Feniex 4200 is very nice also, programmable, multi touch 7 button, but again you have to run a wire thru the firewall. Then I saw the EZ Remote wireless switch box, a 4 button remote like a garage door opener, and a control box in the engine bay with 2X 10A and 2X 20 amp outputs for lights, and it is on sale for $40 right now, so I ordered one as the reviews were good. This site sells equipment to First responders and emergency response departments. They also sell to the general public but some items will require a ID. (mostly restricted things like Blue lights and Sirens)
Here is the link for the 4 channel remote switch if interested. EZ Remote
And for the touch 6. Touch 6 Controller
The product page for it says that it needs to be mounted in a clean and dry location; if you're mounting it under the hood where are you planning to put it?

OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The product page for it says that it needs to be mounted in a clean and dry location; if you're mounting it under the hood where are you planning to put it?
I have a small waterproof plastic box I will use, with rain tight pass through connector for the cables, not a problem. The case is sealed, it is just the screw terminals for the light wires that are exposed, you could also use a liberal amount of dialectic grease on them. The top of the fuse box might be a good place, never going to get that deep in water.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I looked at them, but at 10X as much its a non starter. $400 vs $40.....Hmmmm... let me think.
I wouldn't trust that $40 unit. You get what you pay for.

OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wouldn't trust that $40 unit. You get what you pay for.
I thought about that, but I have purchased a LOT of emergency lights and equipment from this company over the years, they mostly sell to 1st responders, and everything has been of good quality and lasted well. Just because this switch isn't marketed directly to the 'Off Road community', and doesn't have the bells and whistles doesn't mean it won't do the job. I am more about functionality than looks in any case, as long as it does what it says I am good, and for $40 (not even the cost of lunch) I will give it a go.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I thought about that, but I have purchased a LOT of emergency lights and equipment from this company over the years, they mostly sell to 1st responders, and everything has been of good quality and lasted well. Just because this switch isn't marketed directly to the 'Off Road community', and doesn't have the bells and whistles doesn't mean it won't do the job. I am more about functionality than looks in any case, as long as it does what it says I am good, and for $40 (not even the cost of lunch) I will give it a go.
That would be the one instance I'd go against my norm and get the cheaper version.

Generally though when looking at a 90% price difference you're going to give something up. Looking at the one you linked to it seems pretty flimsy to me. Obviously there will be some functionality differences as well.

Hope it works out for you. If not at least it's cheap.

OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That would be the one instance I'd go against my norm and get the cheaper version.

Generally though when looking at a 90% price difference you're going to give something up. Looking at the one you linked to it seems pretty flimsy to me. Obviously there will be some functionality differences as well.

Hope it works out for you. If not at least it's cheap.
Exactly my thought, besides, there is absolutely no reason that a remote switch should cost $400, in most cases you are paying for either looks, the name brand, or things you don't need. If it lasts a couple of years it has more than paid for itself.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at them, but at 10X as much its a non starter. $400 vs $40.....Hmmmm... let me think.
You get more than 10x the cost though...

1-it eliminates the need to go through firewall
2-it consolidates all power distribution through one solid state, multifused unit
3-it eliminates individual relays for each power supply
4-it's both WIFI and bluetooth controlled

I shopped around and got a new Trigger 6 for under $300...

OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You get more than 10x the cost though...

1-it eliminates the need to go through firewall
2-it consolidates all power distribution through one solid state, multifused unit
3-it eliminates individual relays for each power supply
4-it's both WIFI and bluetooth controlled

I shopped around and got a new Trigger 6 for under $300...
That's a good price for the Trigger 6, not sure why I would ever need wi-fi as I don't drag a router around with me, BT is a possibility (have it on my RV batteries) but at 30' range (for most) it is shorter than the included remote. This unit isn't waterproof so I mounted it inside a small waterproof electronics box with a single water tight pass through. I have tested it with a load and it seems to work well, and the remote's range is in excess of 50'. As all of the wire leads are in and go to one spot it would be simple to replace it with something else if the need arises.
Sponsored