Remote start bad for engine?

shirts_184

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Starting to get a little cold in my neck of the woods. Is it hard on my engine to let my truck "warm-up" for five minutes or so using the remote start feature? It helps to defrost my windshield and I swear my Ranger runs better after warming up. Tried it for the first/only time this morning.
Sponsored

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The most wear occurs as an engine is coming up to temperature. It is realistically better for an engine to start, let the oil circulate for 30-45 seconds then drive nicely and stay out of boost until the engine comes up to temp. I don't think 5 minutes is the end of the world, but I also don't think its the BEST for your engine vs following the procedure above.

This topic has a lot of different opinions and has been argued on the internet for many years lol

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I always figured not stressing (i.e. driving) the engine when cold and letting it come up to temp was better.

I always warmed up my vehicles when I could but my first cars were old muscle cars that literally would stall if I didn't.

Reactions: Doc

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
You'll find opinions that go both ways even from reputable sources:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/ca...ng-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-engine/

https://jalopnik.com/exactly-why-you-need-to-warm-up-your-car-when-its-cold-1821737173

Here's two sources that contradict each other. Do your research and come to your conclusion. Like I said, I think waiting around a minute is best if its really cold out and I don't think a 5 minute warmup is going to kill the engine. But I'm not a mechanical engineer, just a normal guy, so my opinion is just an opinion.

Frog9z

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Starting to get a little cold in my neck of the woods. Is it hard on my engine to let my truck "warm-up" for five minutes or so using the remote start feature? It helps to defrost my windshield and I swear my Ranger runs better after warming up. Tried it for the first/only time this morning.
Not at all. If it makes you feel at ease note the following. We race IMCA Open wheel modified on Midwest dirt tracks. We have a IMCA spec engine on gas and 430 open motor running alcohol. We warm both up for a long time at idle before hot laps. The spec motor is 8k. The alcohol motor is a 20k motor and we let it idle and warm up longer, about for 20 minutes+. The builder stresses it. It lets the motor warm up and expand or will wear out, or break, quicker under fire. We don't fire it up till it is at temp. We warm our family vehicles up summer or winter before driving. Just not as long in summer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shirts_184

shirts_184

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Follow-up question: is it possible to add the remote start feature to my key fob?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Follow-up question: is it possible to add the remote start feature to my key fob?
There is an aftermarket module that will allow you to double hit the lock key for remote start, if I remember correctly. But it's not cheap!

OP
OP
shirts_184

shirts_184

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
There is an aftermarket module that will allow you to double hit the lock key for remote start, if I remember correctly. But it's not cheap!
Any link available? Conceptually, I'm not a big fan of the Ford Pass app.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Not remote starting it and instantly driving off with it ice cold is harder on it then remote starting it before you get in.

If you normally start it by hand then wait a few moments before taking off then you are better off remote starting it IMO.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
did you know that driving your car wears it out?

for the people worried about idling their cars, do you equally fret when you have a 100 mile trip VS a 50 mile trip? OMG martha, the engine, she cant take that extra abuse!!!

basically stop worrying about it. do regular oil changes, take car of your car, and above all, just drive it, thats what they are meant to do...pistons go up and down, wheels turn, and you go places.
If I’ve learned anything from this forum it’s this- people have way too much time on their hands.
Sponsored