Rear window remote RF wireless open/close automation on the 2019/20 Ford Ranger

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
After seeing this thread it got me thinking. I had to replace the power window assembly in my daughters Ford Focus a few years ago. I chucked the whole assembly over in the corner of my garage when finished. Figured if the new one messed up I could just grab parts off the one I threw in the corner.

Now with a little bit of modifications I could use the 2 cable setup to open and close this window and have it all tucked down behind the seat.

Here we go again ?
right! Hook them to one of those ball mounts that you could glue onto the glass at the bottom with similar glue to what they use to glue the rearview mirror on. It could ride right at the bottom, I don't think the window would bind as long as the track is clear. Most window motors even have a safety that stops them if something is in the way.
Sponsored

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
Yes, this mini actuator has a large stroke rod but this one is the smallest I could find. :cool:
Also, I made this system easy to remove in about two minutes when the summer season is finished.
If the intended purpose is to crack the rear window to allow heat to escape in the summer months, my question is why not just crack the doors' windows to do the same? Then you don't have to install this and lose use of 1/3 of the rear window?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the intended purpose is to crack the rear window to allow heat to escape in the summer months, my question is why not just crack the doors' windows to do the same? Then you don't have to install this and lose use of 1/3 of the rear window?
It eliminates some of the buffeting caused by having the windows open. My wife will absolutely lose it because the window buffeting noise kills her ears.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
f the intended purpose is to crack the rear window to allow heat to escape in the summer months, my question is why not just crack the doors' windows to do the same? Then you don't have to install this and lose use of 1/3 of the rear window?
Vent visors does the same job but are very unreliable. By cracking the window will allow insects to enter the cab. On another DIY project, I made a screen for the back window to prevent insects from entering the cab. I use my rear window automation system to relieve hot air during the day time and will close it when in transport. :cool:

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Challenge #2 Andy...

Put it on the passenger side, mount it very low, right under the headrest, and use a bar actuator glued (with special glass glue) to the window so that when the actuator pulls open it automatically "undoes" the latch, and when it pushes closed it leave the latch open to click closed. This way, when the window is open, there is no bar in the way, and when it's closed it's closed and you don't care about the bar..

Second to that mount it behind the rear seat, and use some sort of boomerang looking mechanism to redirect the force of the actuator allowing the actuator to stay hidden behind the seat completely. this could be hooked to the window using a ball and socket sort of like the infamous tailgate damper.

Bonus points for inventing a replacement latch and gas strut option that can be used as an "auto open" from pushbutton which would get us the real functionality everyone really wants without all the "stuff" in the window :)
Your suggestions seems reasonable BUT the defrost wires are on the inside of the rear window and extreme care should be taken not to disturb or destroy this wiring. Also, some of my project design features would be voided eg

DIY Design Features:
1. No modifications to the rear window will be allowed. <-----<<<<
2. No drilling or machining on the Ranger will be allowed. <-----<<<<
3. High temperature components will be used.
4. Easy addition and removal of the mini linear actuator system. <------<<<<
5. Easy to obtain, "off the shelf" automation system parts will be used.
6. Cellulose (wood) will be used for any special parts - no 3D printer needed.
7. The linear actuator will just stroke the center latch for open/close automation.

If you want (yourself) to try your rear window automation design please post the results on this forum board.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your suggestions seems reasonable BUT the defrost wires are on the inside of the rear window and extreme care should be taken not to disturb or destroy this wiring. Also, some of my project design features would be voided eg

DIY Design Features:
1. No modifications to the rear window will be allowed. <-----<<<<
2. No drilling or machining on the Ranger will be allowed. <-----<<<<
3. High temperature components will be used.
4. Easy addition and removal of the mini linear actuator system. <------<<<<
5. Easy to obtain, "off the shelf" automation system parts will be used.
6. Cellulose (wood) will be used for any special parts - no 3D printer needed.
7. The linear actuator will just stroke the center latch for open/close automation.

If you want (yourself) to try your rear window automation design please post the results on this forum board.
Mount it on wood, and the glue to the window comes off if you yank hard enough :)

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mount it on wood, and the glue to the window comes off if you yank hard enough :)
And there goes the defrost wires with it.
Sponsored