First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes, this mini actuator has a large stroke rod but this one is the smallest I could find. :cool:
Also, I made this system easy to remove in about two minutes when the summer season is finished.
I'm not ragging on your design,I've seen a lot of your DIY stuff and you have some good ideas. It's just for me our summers are so hot I wouldn't use this in the summer. I want to be able to use the powered slider the other 7-8 months out of the year and this just blocks to much of the rear window. I'm just still surprised Ford didn't have this included in one of the options packages.

A motorize tail gate damper?
Just an ongoing forum joke with the dampers. ?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Agreed, blocks a lot of an already too small rear window. I do use the back seats in my super crew enough for it to be an issue for that. Probably a good setup for super cab that's just used for storage, just not for me.
In my regular cab F150's I used the sliding rear window all the time as I could easily reach it. Even the Scab I'm sure you could reach it if your arms are longer. It's totally useless in the Screw without being powered unless you're using it to haul long items like lumber or piping.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
In my regular cab F150's I used the sliding rear window all the time as I could easily reach it. Even the Scab I'm sure you could reach it if your arms are longer. It's totally useless in the Screw without being powered unless you're using it to haul long items like lumber or piping.
Agree entirely, and the opening is even small to haul much. I've only used it a couple times to vent while parked it the sun.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Safety: The obvious question arises "what if there is an accidental crash?" . In my XL SuperCab application I use it only for tool storage and no humans are allowed in the back since the space is so small. Since I constructed a two piece wood base plate for the automation system, I believe, in a crash, the base plate could/would possibly fold in half, take the top trim with it. The only piece of metal is the aluminum round actuator and this cylinder could be shielded or wrapped in pipe insulation foam or better yet in a heavy swimming/beach poly noodle. Also, since the headrest was removed, two 1/2" aluminum rods could be notched and re-inserted with noodles to shield the baseplate from any movement. It is always nice to error on the side of safety. :)

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool idea, and well executed. A practical solution to a real problem. Now if you could make it just a tad less obtrusive....

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool idea, and well executed. A practical solution to a real problem. Now if you could make it just a tad less obtrusive....
A previous forum member tried, for one year, and never finished his un-obtrusive design on this forum.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/diy-power-sliding-rear-window.4425/
He got ~5k views from his unfinished project. :facepalm:
I might add that an un-obtrusive design will raise the cost dramatically.
The previous 2011 Ranger had a third party ~$500 solution. This DIY hillbilly engineered project ~$200.

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
It would need to be ALOT more refined to get me interested.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It would need to be ALOT more refined to get me interested.
Motorized rack and pinion could be a refined solution :cool:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Just a thought ...
100 mm = ~ 4" - too short ?
200 mm = ~ 8" - will possibly work
300 mm = ~ 12" - too long ?
Note: Window "swing" span is ~ 12" but you need to find the "overall length" of these linear actuators to see if they would fit and can be mounted in the rear window with no obstructions.
It’s not very roomy back there.

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
You have an interesting project, congratulations. What about using clear Plexiglas for your baseplate? That would return some visibility.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
a belt driven linear slide actuator would likely be the most compact, easily hidden and reliable actuator for this purpose.

https://www.amazon.ca/Stroke-Linear...ocphy=9001489&hvtargid=pla-924362348294&psc=1
yes but
Price:CDN$ 297.99 + CDN$ 50.00 shipping
and this cost does not include a drive motor + motor driver + remote control RF electronics.?
Anything can be engineered, now days, but at what cost?
This drive mechanism cannot "only" drive the sliding rear window at the top or bottom due to uneven forces that could twist and bind. It should be designed somehow to drive the window from the center or bad things will happen :)

Last edited:

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
NOT going to knock a guy for his ingenuity or diligence in solving a problem that was obviously bugging him... :)

BUT to me this is insane, and I have OCD! :)
My last truck had a power slider that I used a lot to vent, I also agree that it should have been standard on any mid-level trim and above packages..
But it's not and when I bought it I knew it did not have it and we all bought it anyways. I'm not going to buy an aftermarket if/when it becomes available. I'm not going to trade it either for one item. Though at 50-55k I will re-evaluate my needs and the mid-size offerings again, trade? possibly.

Once again, great job on your project!
Sponsored