First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Titanium Fusion
Occupation
Retired
The factory FX4 shocks were an OK compromise on my Crew 4x4. I drive over rail tracks and wash boarded up gravel roads regularly and wanted something to help keep the back end from swinging out. I rode in a Ranger with Rough Country shocks and it was way too stiff. I went with the Fox 2.0 shocks and am very happy with that. Compared to the factory shocks, the Fox 2.0 seem have a soft compression in the ride zone, then stiffen close to bottom, but the extension has way more pressure to overcome. I think this essentially helps keep the back end from "jumping" when on wash board / tracks. My 0.02c
Question, do the Fox2.0's help with that side to side wallowing?
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
So I've been through several different suspension setups on my Ranger now, and I finally think I'm done messing with it. Here are the iterations I've been through as well as my thoughts/impressions. Keep in mind that this is the first truck I've ever owned, and I'm no suspension expert:

Stock FX4:
Wallowy, bouncy, super easy to kick the rear out offroad. The ride is both jarring and too loose feeling for my taste.

Swapped rear stock with Fox 2.0 shocks:
Less bouncy, a little less body roll. Rear is more controlled in the corners offroad. Ride still feels fairly stiff in the rear.

Added RC 2.5" Leveling Kit on FX4 stock front coilovers:
Leveled the truck the way I wanted (better ground clearance offroad), but has a few drawbacks:
Front is somehow even more bouncy than before. Sight angles out the rear are now a little wonky due to my seating position, position of rear-view mirror, etc. I can't see as far down the road behind me unless I duck my head lower. Minor gripe, but I think that 2.5" was just a little too high for my taste.

Swapped RC 2.5" + FX4 Coilover with Eibach Pro Truck Adjustable Coilover. Left the Fox 2.0 shocks in the rear:
The whole truck is SO much more controlled now. The ride is firmish, but not unpleasant. All the excessive body roll / bounciness from the FX4 coilovers is gone. Much more compliant ride, feels more connected, less body roll on corners, etc. This was the single best thing I did to the suspension. Also, it brought the lift down from 2.5" to about 2", which I like.

Swapped Fox 2.0 rear shocks with the Eibach Pro Truck Sport Shock:
Feels essentially the same as with the Fox 2.0 on there. I mostly just changed it out to keep everything matching. I did a "can I compress this thing with my body weight?" test on both the Fox 2.0 and the Eibach Pro Truck rear shocks: The Eibachs are firmer. Quite a bit, in fact. The stock FX4 shocks offered essentially no resistance at all - they are easy to compress with one hand. The Fox shocks are much firmer than stock, but I could compress them with my whole body weight pretty easily. With the Eibachs, I had to really struggle to compress them.... but I can't really tell much difference in the ride.

This is where I'm going to leave the truck for the forseeable future. I LOVE the new ride from the Eibach front coilovers.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Question, do the Fox2.0's help with that side to side wallowing?
Yes, The pretty much got rid of the wallow, and made a big difference over tracks and wash board.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Exactly why I gave them a shot,really glad I did too.
I did buy them through amazon incase I was not happy with them,so I could return them if need be.
But really pleased with them.
Thanks for your information, this is helpful.
Which version did you try? 1.5-3.5, or 4-6"
I'm assuming the 1.5-3.5 is the default that people would get...

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Thanks for your information, this is helpful.
Which version did you try? 1.5-3.5, or 4-6"
I'm assuming the 1.5-3.5 is the default that people would get...
I did do the 1.5-3-5

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I haven't been in a Ranger with a set of Eibachs on it as of yet, so keep in mind, this opinion is mostly based off my experiences with the F150s with a few Toyotas thrown in:

Softest to firmest from what I have experience in:
  • Rancho RS5000
  • Rancho RS9000XL
  • Bilstein 5100 <- These are essentially tied.
  • Eibach Pro-Truck <- These are essentially tied.
  • Falcon Sport
  • Fox 2.0
  • Icon 2.0
  • Elka 2.5
  • Fox 2.5
  • King 2.5
  • ICON 2.5

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the Eibach 2.0 coilovers, the Elka 2.0s, or the Elka IFP 2.5s yet, nor any of Rough Country's offerings. Anyone with some experience with those options, please feel free to chime in.

Also keep in mind that the difference in overall stiffness between the Fox 2.0s and the Bilstein/Eibachs isn't huge (same goes for the difference between the Elka, Fox, and King 2.5s), and the Fox 2.0s ride extremely well on the street.
Hi Jason,

I have purchased many products from stage3 but I heard there was a special forum discount code? May I be PM'D that code by chance, looking to get some rear shocks through you guys? I appreciate the info nonetheless and no worries if the code is no longer available, your help/knowledge alone here is worth tons.

Warm regards,
Brandon

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I also went with RC N3s in the back only - much better than the FX4 stock. And Affordable!
Eventually, if I still have the truck I will go with Bilstein front and rear

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I also went with RC N3s in the back only - much better than the FX4 stock. And Affordable!
Eventually, if I still have the truck I will go with Bilstein front and rear
Looking at the bilsteins or fox shocks atm. Ty for the additional info

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

WayneMHK

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4 - HPR
Occupation
Retired I.T.
Bilstein recommended the 4600 for 0 lift, so I just installed a set of rears on my Lariat FX4 and am REALLY happy with the ride quality. Just my opinion.
Sponsored