OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Hi Paul,

I remember when Raised White Letter tires were a premium over black sidewalls. Never saw it but was told by a rubber manufacturer that all tires were made with white letters, but they were hidden under the black sidewall. Tire spent 30 seconds in a "buffing" operation that brought out white letters and the premium pricing....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, That's interesting about how the whites were brought out. I'm thinking that it would be a novelty to have some white letter tires again even with the pain of preserving them âś”
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, That's interesting about how the whites were brought out. I'm thinking that it would be a novelty to have some white letter tires again even with the pain of preserving them âś”
Hi Paul,

That was "way back when" Not sure about now as much of the tire equipment is automated where the rubber was laid up by hand before. If there are optional raised letters available for a tire you like, the it is possible the black is just not buffed off. I never saw the process personally but I was led go believe it involved huge wire brush wheels.

The Goodyear rubber plant I visited had the old 4 calendar (Large steel cylinders) mothballed and tire production was no longer at that plant....this is when I had engine mount design for all light trucks at the time...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i agree, i usually hate gloss, but for some reason these work for me and it works well w/ the black appearance package. Plus, i'm too poor to purchase bronze wheels atm lol.
This Ranger forum is making me poor too :frown:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Paul,

That was "way back when" Not sure about now as much of the tire equipment is automated where the rubber was laid up by hand before. If there are optional raised letters available for a tire you like, the it is possible the black is just not buffed off. I never saw the process personally but I was led go believe it involved huge wire brush wheels.

The Goodyear rubber plant I visited had the old 4 calendar (Large steel cylinders) mothballed and tire production was no longer at that plant....this is when I had engine mount design for all light trucks at the time...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for sharing the background info. on tires the way they used to be produced.
I'm thinking that these wheels and tires (that come OEM) below might look good with my black STX trim. Evidently the tires come with white lettering.
Optional on Ranger XLT and LARIAT with Black Appearance Package
1617802188845-png-png.png

Chardy82

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Wildtrak 2018
Occupation
Driver
Hi, sorry to jump in on thread but didn’t know whether to start a new one or not. I’m new to the forum set up (registered today) and have bought my first Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 2018. I’ve already completed some extras and have recently bought some 20” alloys. I’m now looking for tyres for the wheels and I’m really struggling with sizes. I have the wide wheel arches to add to the truck and don’t know whether I’ve gone too big with the alloys as well as getting my head around the tyre sizes being different but fit the same size alloys (265 up to 285 suggestions). Any help appreciated. TIA
Sponsored