Ranger Wheel Size Options

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Want to buy some tires and steel rims for the winter and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the smallest size rim is I could go to. I would like to get 15" as there are many good snow tires cheap for those but I'm thinking the brake calipers would hit. Anyone have 16" rims?
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Want to buy some tires and steel rims for the winter and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the smallest size rim is I could go to. I would like to get 15" as there are many good snow tires cheap for those but I'm thinking the brake calipers would hit. Anyone have 16" rims?
16" steel wheels are standard for the ranger, and there are plenty of snow tire options for that size.

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
thanks, I forgot about the steel rims on the XL I thought 17 was standard. I will go with 16 if i have to i just prefer 15 because there is a tire I really like that doesn't come in 16"

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
thanks, I forgot about the steel rims on the XL I thought 17 was standard. I will go with 16 if i have to i just prefer 15 because there is a tire I really like that doesn't come in 16"
Really? There aren't many truck tires that aren't available in 16".

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I think the wheels and tires below might look good with my black STX trim. Does the wheel shade lean more toward gloss than Matte? If anyone has these wheels and tires on your STX, a picture would be appreciated.
18-inch High-Gloss Black-Painted Aluminum Wheel
Optional on Ranger XLT and LARIAT with Black Appearance Package
1617802188845-png.png

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I think the wheels and tires below might look good with my black STX trim. Does the wheel shade lean more toward gloss than Matte? If anyone has these wheels and tires on your STX, a picture would be appreciated.
1617802188845-png.png
I have those wheels, i like them.

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
1617802188845-png.png
I have the same wheels. They are more on the shiner side, not matte

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I have the same wheels. They are more on the shiner side, not matte
i agree, i usually hate gloss, but for some reason these work for me and it works well w/ the black appearance package. Plus, i'm too poor to purchase bronze wheels atm lol.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i agree, i usually hate gloss, but for some reason these work for me and it works well w/ the black appearance package. Plus, i'm too poor to purchase bronze wheels atm lol.
Is your black package shade Matte? The gloss wheels might be a good contrast with my STX trim matte shade!

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
C9A12D37-F43A-4D51-845B-497E47C2E509.jpeg

Hopefully, that helps a bit? But na i wouldn't say its too glossy. I did see a blacked out STX package at one of the dealers here when I was shopping. They had different wheels that were MORE glossy, but it looked really good. I think you're right the contrast helps. I also like the white lettered wheels to help w/ that contrast.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
C9A12D37-F43A-4D51-845B-497E47C2E509.jpeg

Hopefully, that helps a bit? But na i wouldn't say its too glossy. I did see a blacked out STX package at one of the dealers here when I was shopping. They had different wheels that were MORE glossy, but it looked really good. I think you're right the contrast helps. I also like the white lettered wheels to help w/ that contrast.
Nice Truck, looks great! Thanks for the input. Good point about the white lettering...stands out. My Bridgestone dueler AT's are black only.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I also like the white lettered wheels to help w/ that contrast.
I'm the opposite. I have the same black appearance wheels, which I like, but I hate the white outline tires. I've never had white lettered tires on a vehicle before. Takes me back to the 80s or earlier with whitewalls. The white lettering is not clean after a small amount of ownership (especially, if like me, you drive on dirt or snow or roads that have been treated for snow/ice). I can kinda clean the white letter with a brush and aggressive cleaners, but they still look brownish. I will never buy a white letter tire as a replacement. Was a dumb choice by Ford. YMMV.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I'm the opposite. I have the same black appearance wheels, which I like, but I hate the white outline tires. I've never had white lettered tires on a vehicle before. Takes me back to the 80s or earlier with whitewalls. The white lettering is not clean after a small amount of ownership (especially, if like me, you drive on dirt or snow or roads that have been treated for snow/ice). I can kinda clean the white letter with a brush and aggressive cleaners, but they still look brownish. I will never buy a white letter tire as a replacement. Was a dumb choice by Ford. YMMV.
I can see the part about it being brown, only had the truck for about 2 months but the tires are filthy. I just recently bought some real wheel/tire cleaner that i'll be trying here soon to get rid of that bit of browning. I thought it was just normal dirt after having droven it into the mountains to snowboard a couple times. I didnt realize it was due to the white lettering.

Reactions: EJH

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ed,
I appreciate your concern about white lettering. I try real hard not the scuff even my blackwalls which distracts from their appearance. When I was a kid everyone had white lettering and blackwalls were out. in those days you could reverse the tires and have blackwalls, but nobody did it. I remember how difficult to was to keep them clean. For nostalgia sake, I think it would be cool to go back to white for awhile just for the change.
Regards.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ed,
I appreciate your concern about white lettering. I try real hard not the scuff even my blackwalls which distracts from their appearance. When I was a kid everyone had white lettering and blackwalls were out. in those days you could reverse the tires and have blackwalls, but nobody did it. I remember how difficult to was to keep them clean. For nostalgia sake, I think it would be cool to go back to white for awhile just for the change.
Regards.
Hi Paul,

I remember when Raised White Letter tires were a premium over black sidewalls. Never saw it but was told by a rubber manufacturer that all tires were made with white letters, but they were hidden under the black sidewall. Tire spent 30 seconds in a "buffing" operation that brought out white letters and the premium pricing....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored