First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Soul +, 2011 Subaru Outback
Occupation
English Professor
Are there any facts-examples of production delays or longer than normal lead times for Ford Rangers? I have only seen reasonable info <3 months order to delivery.

With no facts why the worry?
I don't know whether anyone else is worrying, but for my part, my only real concerns are 1) that the Ranger plant shut down for 2+ weeks due to the chip shortage, which would almost have to introduce some delays, I'd think, and 2) my salesperson seems to think it's taking longer than she expected for me to get a VIN. Neither's a huge deal, but I'm just trying to get a sense of how delayed (if at all) things really are.
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
MAP is re-opened, producing both Ranger and Bronco, but currently they're building 3 Broncos for every Ranger and planning on increasing that to 7:1. I ordered May 11th and the guess at the time was 15-23 weeks. Sales manager just updated me that Ford is currently saying 23-26 weeks on new order Rangers but isn't able to get Ford to say one way or another where the status of my order is, other than "received". Like many, I ordered because there was no inventory in my area and it locked the incentives and prices. Ford currently has a new incentive for $1000 off orders, so long as the same trim and optioned vehicle isn't able to be transferred from another dealer. That incentive is retro-active to April 1st. I'm assuming given that since Ford is almost a year behind on Bronco, Ranger will fall to the side a bit in regards to production.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
MAP is re-opened, producing both Ranger and Bronco, but currently they're building 3 Broncos for every Ranger and planning on increasing that to 7:1. I ordered May 11th and the guess at the time was 15-23 weeks. Sales manager just updated me that Ford is currently saying 23-26 weeks on new order Rangers but isn't able to get Ford to say one way or another where the status of my order is, other than "received". Like many, I ordered because there was no inventory in my area and it locked the incentives and prices. Ford currently has a new incentive for $1000 off orders, so long as the same trim and optioned vehicle isn't able to be transferred from another dealer. That incentive is retro-active to April 1st. I'm assuming given that since Ford is almost a year behind on Bronco, Ranger will fall to the side a bit in regards to production.
HI John,

What I do not know is if Rangers and Broncos are on the same final line...Does not appear to be the case and based on the number of people it sounds like the Bronco line is independent of Ranger... Just like Lorain Ohio or Kansas City at the time...

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I saw a picture of the fire at the chip manufacturer. It wasn't a pretty site to say the least. It's quite sad that most of America's manufacturing capability has been sent overseas thanks to greedy politicians, and American's that would save a dime just to buy foreign crap. IMHO
While I am one of the first to lay the blame for a lot of stuff at Politicians feet, in this case it is more the Greedy company's that offshore their manufacturing to maximize profits to shareholders and undercut the competition.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
HI John,

What I do not know is if Rangers and Broncos are on the same final line...Does not appear to be the case and based on the number of people it sounds like the Bronco line is independent of Ranger... Just like Lorain Ohio or Kansas City at the time...
The pictures I looked at yesterday have Bronco and Ranger on the same line, at least near the end of production.

Link to articles from production start

35a64607472498b10e3c9ed25bef915d.png

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
HI John,

HI John,

I know almost nothing about the production process but I know that several of the automotive journalists writing about the Bronco this week mentioned the Ranger coming down some of the same lines and in this press video, you can see a couple of Rangers on the same line as the Bronco at whatever phase of assembly they're showing.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Out of curiosity I went and spent a little time researching the chip shortages and causes. Part of it is the car manufacturers themselves. They canceled open orders because of the pandemic. This JIT model they used hurt them badly. Save a few dollars here to get shafted on millions over there.

Then the chip manufacturers went with present demands and orders for personal devices that boomed because of the pandemic.

As it stands now, end of the year before sizable orders get filled and the two manufacturing plants that caught in fire come back online.

Until then, drum your fingers because nothing is going to hurry this up!

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Yeah, that was one of the big issues, the Automotive companies cancelling their chip orders.
Then other companies took advantage of the available production schedule. I see Chevy has removed the start stop option on some vehicles to get partially around the chip shortage.

The Bronco and the 5G Ranger are on different platforms. Until the 6G Ranger runs the same frame and is more closely modular to the Bronco things probably will not run smoothly.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The silver lining for all of us is there is a demand for Rangers. As long as that demand continues our vehicle values remain high. If numbers produced remain low because they can’t build them then long term deprecated value remains low!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that was one of the big issues, the Automotive companies cancelling their chip orders.
Then other companies took advantage of the available production schedule. I see Chevy has removed the start stop option on some vehicles to get partially around the chip shortage.

The Bronco and the 5G Ranger are on different platforms. Until the 6G Ranger runs the same frame and is more closely modular to the Bronco things probably will not run smoothly.
The Bronco is modified 5G platform, same as the Everest. Or more accurately, they all are variations of the T6 platform. Mazda BT-50 and Troller T4 also share this platform.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Because they can with no repercussion. Funny how that doesn't work the other way around.
In a free market a company can source their products from most anywhere, while I would prefer they get them here at home I can see the benefit of lower production and labor costs associated with overseas procurement. To bad lower quality comes along with that. Then you have to add in the pressure to maximize profit and return to the investors who trusted you with their money.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
In a free market a company can source their products from most anywhere, while I would prefer they get them here at home I can see the benefit of lower production and labor costs associated with overseas procurement. To bad lower quality comes along with that. Then you have to add in the pressure to maximize profit and return to the investors who trusted you with their money.
Don't I know it. It's exactly how I make a living. It's a great company with a global footprint like all large scale contract manufacturing companies.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Out of curiosity I went and spent a little time researching the chip shortages and causes. Part of it is the car manufacturers themselves. They canceled open orders because of the pandemic. This JIT model they used hurt them badly. Save a few dollars here to get shafted on millions over there.

Then the chip manufacturers went with present demands and orders for personal devices that boomed because of the pandemic.

As it stands now, end of the year before sizable orders get filled and the two manufacturing plants that caught in fire come back online.

Until then, drum your fingers because nothing is going to hurry this up!
This is what's baffling about all of this. You have BILLION dollar companies canceling these chip orders instead of stocking up on them. It's not like they're taking up large amounts of space like tires or floorpans. It's not like they were never going to make vehicles again and yes it was unknown at the time how long this slowdown would last but it makes you wonder who's calling the shots on this? Plus who knows with everything on hold like it was they possible could've got a better deal buying them up in large volume at the time.

Just wait until the 3rd quarter numbers hit and watch the markets tank as every single manufacturer will have huge losses now. I doubt we will see any good incentives for a very long time as they're going to try and make up for this mess any way they can. OTOH if people shy away from buying they'll be forced to put out incentives to more inventory but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

On a more positive note at least there's several companies now building huge chip manufacturing plants here in AZ. A little to late as they will take a couple years to be up in running but hopefully they learned their lesson from this and start producing more stuff here in the US! :flag:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/23/int...-to-build-two-new-chip-plants-in-arizona.html

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michae...billion-microchip-plant-arizona-1600-new-jobs

JonnyRoBato

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Ranger Tremor Cactus Gray
Occupation
Skunk Herder
The pictures I looked at yesterday have Bronco and Ranger on the same line, at least near the end of production.

Link to articles from production start

35a64607472498b10e3c9ed25bef915d.png
I seriously hope that is my Cactus Gray Lariat tremor in the background that I ordered on April 8th. Order status tool says "in production" and those pictures were taken on Monday of this week I believe. I saw the article on Jalopnik as well. It certainly is the same color and trim I ordered. I'm patiently waiting......lol......not. I'm so excited for my new truck.
Sponsored