Ranger passenger side window glass has cracked appearing veins in the side window glass Ford replaced it 1year ago now it happened again and Ford is

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Do you park outdoors?

Is it possible you've pissed somebody off? Seems like if it isn't vandalism there has to be something in the mechanism causing it to break.
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Is it possible you've pissed somebody off?
I don't think this is vandalism. It looks like the cracks are starting at the edge of the glass and growing. Maybe defective glass, but twice defective in the same place? I really think something came loose inside the door panel and the window is hitting it and cracking.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I don't think this is vandalism. It looks like the cracks are starting at the edge of the glass and growing. Maybe defective glass, but twice defective in the same place? I really think something came loose inside the door panel and the window is hitting it and cracking.
I'm no forensic pathologist, I have no idea where the cracks started.

I think if it wasn't vandalism then something along the lines of what you are suggesting is most likely.

OP
OP

Rhonda O

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt crew cab
and is for the proper deployment of side airbags.

*edit - if you read the little label in the corner of the window, it will tell you if its tempered or laminated

1618231940907.png
I looked at it it's laminated

OP
OP

Rhonda O

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt crew cab
Could be but under warranty

OP
OP

Rhonda O

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt crew cab
If it continues to happen I would say it’s obvious the truck is somehow placing stress on the glass in a way that it shouldn’t. You’re probably going to need to stay on top of them for a permanent resolution
I have called Ford today and left a message

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
If this has happened twice, then I would suspect that something in the door is pinching it or is pressed up against it. When you roll it down and/or shut the door or drive with the window down it is making a small crack in an edge that is growing into this... In fact there might be several small cracks along the edge making several long cracks grow. This door would have to be disassembled and inspected before a warranty claim is to be rejected.
This is my thought. To replace the glass without pulling the door panel off and looking for a root cause seems silly in the first place.

OP
OP

Rhonda O

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt crew cab
as for vandalism, it could be from attempted theft
a friends jeep suv got broken into recently and thats how they did it.
a screw driver between the glass and the frame and just pry. if thats what they did, you should see marks around the trim indicating some sort or prying was carried out.
the tempered glass just shatters, the laminated wont.
Nothing on my camera bigger than a stray cat

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
When I got my super cab a coworker made a comment about the shorter roof length would have less flex compared to the foot longer super crew Ranger. (We were talking about off roading at the time because I did a lot of rock climbing in my wrangler that I traded in for the Ranger). Has your Ranger seen any off-roading?
I really don't want to sound like a dou#@$ but the term is Rock Crawling. Rock Climbing is done by anorexic young people and Sly Stone (Cliff Hanger movie) Ha Ha!!

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really don't want to sound like a dou#@$ but the term is Rock Crawling. Rock Climbing is done by anorexic young people and Sly Stone (Cliff Hanger movie) Ha Ha!!
"You're not gonna die!"
Proceeds to drop her....

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can still close my eyes and see that scene in my head of her falling in slow motion..
The opening and ending scenes were the only things I remember from that movie. Everything in the middle escapes me.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Although a different model Ford they use plastic clips to attach the window to motor pulley system. They’re very unforgiving as I found out. If the window doesn’t track properly and only rides partially in the track this type of crack happens. Only way to fix it in my case was to replace the window tracks, remove the in channel wind deflector (root cause) and put it back together. Never had the problem again after that.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity

Ugly_Betty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
That is crazy !! The side and rear glass on cars and trucks is safety glass and "should" shatter into a gazillion pieces when broken. Obviously, this piece must be defective....it's a safety issue and they really need to fix it, IMHO.
That is crazy !! The side and rear glass on cars and trucks is safety glass and "should" shatter into a gazillion pieces when broken. Obviously, this piece must be defective....it's a safety issue and they really need to fix it, IMHO.
A number of vehicles have used laminated safety glass in the front doors for a while now. This behaves similar to a windshield.
All vehicles made after 9/1/17 are required to have laminated side window glass per Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Sponsored