Ranger on price is right

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
As a guy about to get married with no immediate plans for kids and time to make a run for it...can you expand on your comment
Sure... :)
If my wife and I filed single, we would both get a few thousand back each. Because we are married filing jointly we get nothing, if not owe. We both claim 0.

A few years ago, they changed the rules and the standard deduction, so we can no longer deduct mortgage interest, etc.
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Sure... :)
If my wife and I filed single, we would both get a few thousand back each. Because we are married filing jointly we get nothing, if not owe. We both claim 0.

A few years ago, they changed the rules and the standard deduction, so we can no longer deduct mortgage interest, etc.
You still have the option of filing separately. I’ve never heard of mortgage interest not being deductible, so long as it’s a primary or secondary home. You may want to get a second opinion.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
You still have the option of filing separately. I’ve never heard of mortgage interest not being deductible, so long as it’s a primary or secondary home. You may want to get a second opinion.
I think he's referring to not deducting mortgage interest because the increase in the standard deduction means he no longer itemizes. However, to me this seems like a win, since he's able to deduct more now with the standard deduction than he could before with itemization.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
As a guy about to get married with no immediate plans for kids and time to make a run for it...can you expand on your comment
There's quite a few "estimate my refund" calculators available on the internet. You could punch in your numbers first as a bachelor and then repeat it as though you were married and see how those compare.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The only time it MIGHT be beneficial to file separately is if you have a large income gap between the spouses and the lower income spouse is eligible for substantial itemized deductions.

Due to the higher standard deduction allowed nowadays this is a VERY rare condition.

The married filing jointly standard deduction is exactly double that of a single filing, and the majority of folks I know are using the standard deduction nowadays.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The only time it MIGHT be beneficial to file separately is if you have a large income gap between the spouses and the lower income spouse is eligible for substantial itemized deductions.

Due to the higher standard deduction allowed nowadays this is a VERY rare condition.

The married filing jointly standard deduction is exactly double that of a single filing, and the majority of folks I know are using the standard deduction nowadays.
My buddy's wife has about 100K in student loans. She has a few masters degrees but they are in social work so she makes good money but not "I owe a hundred grand money". He's got a good paying job too. They have to file separate or her minimum payments on the student loans double. If they file jointly it pushes the income level up to the point of getting slammed on the minimum payment.

The recent capping of deducting state and local taxes (SALT) to I believe 10K really limited mortgage deductions. I read an article about it because the high tax states want to remove the cap but it argued it's a tax giveaway to the "rich" since it claimed 92% of people taking salt deductions made over 200k a year.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
My buddy's wife has about 100K in student loans. She has a few masters degrees but they are in social work so she makes good money but not "I owe a hundred grand money". He's got a good paying job too. They have to file separate or her minimum payments on the student loans double. If they file jointly it pushes the income level up to the point of getting slammed on the minimum payment.

The recent capping of deducting state and local taxes (SALT) to I believe 10K really limited mortgage deductions. I read an article about it because the high tax states want to remove the cap but it argued it's a tax giveaway to the "rich" since it claimed 92% of people taking salt deductions made over 200k a year.
One off situations like that can occur. But I feel like they're pretty rare. In my circles at least. Me and the wife had about $50k in student loans we paid off in about 5 years. Paying the "minimum" is going keep her in debt forever.

I'm happy with the new rules. My deduction has has actually increased by a bit, and my taxes have been simplified.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
One off situations like that can occur. But I feel like they're pretty rare. In my circles at least. Me and the wife had about $50k in student loans we paid off in about 5 years. Paying the "minimum" is going keep her in debt forever.

I'm happy with the new rules. My deduction has has actually increased by a bit, and my taxes have been simplified.
My kids all have 4 year degrees and graduated with some debt but they chose fields that paid well. My oldest son worked a ton an paid his off as soon as he could. The twins say they set the money aside to pay it off but are waiting until this "college debt relief" stuff gets settled. My kids are pretty conservative but they aren't going to give away free money LOL. My daughter is in nurse practitioner school an her employer will help pay it off after she graduates if she keeps working for them.

Part of engineering school was paid co-ops. If you were smart with your money you could really limit the debt you had to take on.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
My kids all have 4 year degrees and graduated with some debt but they chose fields that paid well. My oldest son worked a ton an paid his off as soon as he could. The twins say they set the money aside to pay it off but are waiting until this "college debt relief" stuff gets settled. My kids are pretty conservative but they aren't going to give away free money LOL. My daughter is in nurse practitioner school an her employer will help pay it off after she graduates if she keeps working for them.

Part of engineering school was paid co-ops. If you were smart with your money you could really limit the debt you had to take on.
For sure. I think this is lost on a lot of the youths. I hope I can guide my youngsters correctly in a couple of years.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I think he's referring to not deducting mortgage interest because the increase in the standard deduction means he no longer itemizes. However, to me this seems like a win, since he's able to deduct more now with the standard deduction than he could before with itemization.
The thing is, your property is capped at $10k now. Some people have interest and property taxes far exceeding the Fed standard deduction, but can't write it off anymore.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That show was Extreme Makeover. I worked on one of those houses and if I remember correctly, as you said, I think the family wound up losing that house as the taxes wound up being killer,
I worked on the one in Suffield, CT back in 2009. It just happened to be the day that Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett died. They built this family a huge house and anyone who knows the area knows how much the property taxes are alone never mind the utilities and upkeep. I know someone who went back a couple months after they moved in to do some repairs and said the place was already a mess. Hardwood floors were already trashed and said there was a lit cigarette burning on the edge of the countertop. :facepalm:

I never understood this show because most couldn't afford the upkeep on the dump they were living in yet they build them a mansion and expect them to maintain it? Supposedly there are funds put away to help them pay for the first few years taxes but once that runs out than what? Just look at the list of Extreme Home Makeover homes that went into foreclose.

extreme home makeover foreclosure

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
just run... don't need an excuse

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
Yes, that is exactly it, I don't have enough to itemize. I can still deduct my goodwill donations though :)

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
just run... don't need an excuse
I really do not see any reason why you should
run away. Probably one of the best things I ever did was
get married. Without a doubt, my wedding day
was one of the happiest days of my life. Before then, I
was miserable. Now I am forever joined together with
this incredible woman. I'd do again even if it took a a deal with
the devil. Take a lesson from my experience, run as fast as you can
to that church, and take those vows with confidence.
I promise you won't regret it!

EDIT TO ADD: Sorry, my wife was watching me as I typed that. Please only read every other line.
Sponsored