Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brautigamexpeditionworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger
Occupation
Creater of titanium camping gear
Looks awesome...is it always sunny and warm where you are? I'm guessing you don't camp inside this? That's one heck of a solar oven...??
I'm in northern Illinois, no not always sunny. I painted the sides but the top between the rails that go lengthwise is still white. I do camp in it, I camp out of it maybe 10 nights a year. Most of that is in northern minnesota in the dead of winter reaching -40 degrees for a low without supplemental heat.

OP
OP
Heavy Duty

Heavy Duty

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brautigamexpeditionworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger
Occupation
Creater of titanium camping gear
What kind of "internal structure" did you add to support the 80/20 bars? I really like your setup. I picked up an ARE commercial cap for a 2010 Colorado on FB Marketplace for a good price. It fits well with a little modification at the back door/tailgate seam. Did you remove the antenna for the air dam?
I TIG welded in a frame to hold the weight where the 80/20 bolts through the topper. All the load from the roof bars go straight to the bed rails. The aluminum tubing is 1" square .09" wall. It doesnt look like much other than added tubing where it needs to be.

I just run a stubby antenna, still works well.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in northern Illinois, no not always sunny. I painted the sides but the top between the rails that go lengthwise is still white. I do camp in it, I camp out of it maybe 10 nights a year. Most of that is in northern minnesota in the dead of winter reaching -40 degrees for a low without supplemental heat.
That's great set up for quick access bed camping...

danjolee

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Supercab FX4
I TIG welded in a frame to hold the weight where the 80/20 bolts through the topper. All the load from the roof bars go straight to the bed rails. The aluminum tubing is 1" square .09" wall. It doesnt look like much other than added tubing where it needs to be.

Thanks! I thought I would just bolt the 80/20 through the existing aluminum tubing of the cap. Probably need to do some research on how much the existing frame will hold. The aluminum contractor rails which bolt onto the sides will hold 200-300lbs but they aren't adjustable and more expensive.

danjolee

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Supercab FX4

What kind of fasteners did you use to attach the rails to the topper?

ouroboros87

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Business Analyst
Would love to see some more detailed photos of how the rails are attached and the supporting frame you added to the inside. I don’t have any welding ability so I’d need to find an alternative option.
Sponsored