First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I already have 50k on the odo, lol. So no I am paying for it. They actually said the alternator is on nationwide indefinite back order, so I found one through a friend and had it shipped to them.

They did tell me they would have done it under warranty if mine was still in effect. I got the impression I was not the first owner in there with this problem.
I know we were talking about this in the other thread, but it still makes no sense why Ford low mounted US Rangers Alternators.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The low alternator is the one issue that bugs me on this truck.

On my Jeep and my Bronco the alternator is on top, where it should be in a vehicle that may see some off road trails.

The thought that a simple water crossing can leave me walking is not comforting.

I wonder if the Bronco will have it in the same place, or if it is located differently on the 2.7 EB?

Edit: I pulled this image from the Ford site on the new Bronco.

I think this is the V6, but it looks like it's still too low if this image is representative of production.

Maybe the Bronco will have a "hardened" alternator that can be retrofitted to the Ranger?

And I also looked at images of all the Wrangler engines.

Alternator is always at or near the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
The low alternator is the one issue that bugs me on this truck.

On my Jeep and my Bronco the alternator is on top, where it should be in a vehicle that may see some off road trails.

The thought that a simple water crossing can leave me walking is not comforting.

I wonder if the Bronco will have it in the same place, or if it is located differently on the 2.7 EB?
Whats weird also, is that Ford is not ignorant to Alt locations. The Overseas Ranger,Everest,Raptor specifiacally states the alt is placed high for water wading.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if there is any chance of some kind of aftermarket relocation kit ever being introduced. Not a lot of room to move the alternator anywhere else I guess. But it's be nice to get it up top!

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yeah, I don't see enough room to relocate the alternator on the Ranger. The pre-production drivetrain images for the 2.3L Bronco look like it had a sealed alternator, but I haven't seen any confirmation. IF (big if) the 2.3L Bronco has a sealed alternator, it would almost certainly be usable in the Ranger. That's my plan if it is a reality.

Also fun side note. Ford called me and said they installed the new alternator. It had a fault bearing and seized in a couple minutes. Replacement was thankfully available and should be there tomorrow. I can only laugh.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I don't see enough room to relocate the alternator on the Ranger. The pre-production drivetrain images for the 2.3L Bronco look like it had a sealed alternator, but I haven't seen any confirmation. IF (big if) the 2.3L Bronco has a sealed alternator, it would almost certainly be usable in the Ranger. That's my plan if it is a reality.

Also fun side note. Ford called me and said they installed the new alternator. It had a fault bearing and seized in a couple minutes. Replacement was thankfully available and should be there tomorrow. I can only laugh.
Glad they're getting you back in your truck soon. Really blows that it happened. If the Bronco alternator is a swap over part, I'll do it!

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny story. Second alternator showed up yesterday with a broken connector. So they salvaged a connector from another alternator and made it work. I get to pick the truck up next Friday. I FEEL LIKE I'm getting a new truck, but in reality I am picking up a dirty truck still full of random gear and probably smelly shoes from the overlanding trip that killed the alternator, lol.

Also, pic thread:

DSC02959.JPG

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Funny story. Second alternator showed up yesterday with a broken connector. So they salvaged a connector from another alternator and made it work. I get to pick the truck up next Friday. I FEEL LIKE I'm getting a new truck, but in reality I am picking up a dirty truck still full of random gear and probably smelly shoes from the overlanding trip that killed the alternator, lol.

Also, pic thread:

DSC02959.JPG
Cool pic!

Dig the GX. I almost bought one of those to trick out.

And on a side but similar note, if the Bronco alternator is sealed, how is it cooled?

Some manufacturers use a water cooled alternator but that would require a lot of new plumbing to incorporate.

Are there sealed but air cooled units?

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that GX is very cool. We did a trip in August where one of the bags in the rear dislocated. He had to drive from southern Missouri to Iowa with the Palatka Lean, haha. It now has regular springs. He has done a lot with it over the last year or so.

As to the alternator, I have no details. I have looked around on the Bronco forum, but I haven't seen anything there. And the picture I saw was definitely pre-production, so who knows. I am looking into more simple solutions like a removable plastic shield or something along those lines.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
That is the V6. It is definitely not the 2.3L.
OK, but that was not my point. This is the only other pic I can find and has nothing to back it up. This alt looks sealed. From the same site, as they are trying to figure this out also.

1603995975505.png