First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
NO DRIVERS SIDE GRAB HANDLE !!!! Pardon me for yelling. There is NOT a truck on the market of any size that does not have a grab handle. Ford saved $6.57 by not including it in their $45K truck. Pulling on the steering wheel, especially with the truck running is a pain. It would be great to lift yourself high enough so you don't wear out the corner of the seat. Ford how about a retrofit!
A driver's side handle would be great, but it's not the only truck without one on the drivers side. My Colorado doesn't have one either.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
all this talk of a drivers side door handle....is there a possibility they arent passing crash tests with flying colors if they are installed?
looks to be a good place to bash in your skull
Seems like just another dollar savings for the bean counters. There's one on the passengers side unless Ford doesn't care about them smacking their head. :headbang:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
i guess it would depend on the test with the associated airbag.
maybe the passenger bag is big enough to protect the passenger compared to the drivers.

i dunno, just hypothesizing as to a reason. I'm sure theres many to discuss.
Agree there's a reason, where's an insider when you need one?

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
all this talk of a drivers side door handle....is there a possibility they arent passing crash tests with flying colors if they are installed?
looks to be a good place to bash in your skull
H RP,

That was the reason on the old compact Ranger. The handles were there to reduce the crash HIC values below requirements (head Injury Criteria). Very possible they are on 5G for the same reason on the passenger side. And Dave is also probably right on the cost reduction on the driver's side if driver HIC values were acceptable with the handle deleted.

I use the steering wheel to help my old knees out when I climb into my 4x4 using the step bar.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Here's my issue with no driver's side grab handle. I have a Commander with grab handles on both sides -- Perfect.

On my Ranger I have several issues getting in/out as compared to my Commander.

1st to set the stage -- I've had spine surgery .. .. This has left me with a few "Issues".

The Ranger has slightly less door height as my Commander - Which requires me to slightly bend over and this causes a sharp pain in my back. The truck also sits slightly higher than my other vehicle and I have the factory side steps which sit out past the body of the vehicle.

Getting in -- It's a 2 step process for me .. Not to painful but I prefer not to do it often. Getting out is a bit more problematic. I have to twist my body which causes great discomfort -- I suffer this issue with all vehicles. But with the lower door height -- And being higher off the ground and have to swing my leg past the outboard step -- And not having a driver's side grab handle -- Is a bit difficult and painful for me. As a side note -- The factory installed running board/step is a hindrance and not an aid as I can't put my foot on it and with the leg bent apply any pressure aiding my body to exit -- The pain is just to much.

In closing -- Personally I would have paid any reasonable amount to have included a driver's side grab handle.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
The hazard right under the computer screen. Every time I rest my hand on it to look through songs or use the nav it turns on the hazards. Awful placement.

Cheap AF gas door. Pops open often.

Doors slam really easily.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Bought 3 months ago - Still no points. Called last month — was transferred and both reps had no answer .. I was given a ticket number and told wait another month. Also I’ve not received the title yet — Plates came quickly .. But not the title. Ford is extremely difficult to get ahold of — Looks like I’ll waste another half day on hold .. .. ☹
I've owned my Ranger for about a year and a half. I never got the points shortly after the purchase and eventually just gave up trying to get them. I'm guessing my dealer screwed something up somewhere. At least, that's what other dealers have told me.

It does? I've never had that happen and I don't think I've seen anyone else post about here before. Perhaps you've just got a bad mechanism.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Hey Jason -- When my truck was delivered to my home .. Internet purchase with home delivery -- The fellow did ask if I wanted my phone paired to the truck .. And I said no as I rarely use the cell except for an off road emergency with my other vehicle.

He didn't mention anything about points - Or stating anything about registering with Ford Pass which I knew nothing about - But soon found out about.

When I called Ford asking about the points - At some point one of the two reps stated that she could see that I had registered/activated my account. I believe she was referring to my activating Ford Pass and entering my VIN activating the account. But had no explanation as to why nothing was showing up on the app.

Frankly I'll never use them as I have a shop and do my own servicing -- It's just the principal of it.

A strange thing did happen though -- A short time after contacting Ford and registering a complaint .. .. I received from the selling out of town dealer a gift card more than compensating me for the missing points.

Anyway -- That's my story .. .. Don't believe I'll try another internet purchase though as there were some other issues purchasing this way -- But that's another story.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Jason -- When my truck was delivered to my home .. Internet purchase with home delivery -- The fellow did ask if I wanted my phone paired to the truck .. And I said no as I rarely use the cell except for an off road emergency with my other vehicle.

He didn't mention anything about points - Or stating anything about registering with Ford Pass which I knew nothing about - But soon found out about.

When I called Ford asking about the points - At some point one of the two reps stated that she could see that I had registered/activated my account. I believe she was referring to my activating Ford Pass and entering my VIN activating the account. But had no explanation as to why nothing was showing up on the app.

Frankly I'll never use them as I have a shop and do my own servicing -- It's just the principal of it.

A strange thing did happen though -- A short time after contacting Ford and registering a complaint .. .. I received from the selling out of town dealer a gift card more than compensating me for the missing points.

Anyway -- That's my story .. .. Don't believe I'll try another internet purchase though as there were some other issues purchasing this way -- But that's another story.
Yeah my app works fine and has from day one, too. I use it for locking/unlocking the truck from time to time and in the winter, I also occasionally use it for remote start so yeah, it's always worked too. Ford has never been able to give me a straight answer other than basically, "It's your dealer's fault." :rolleyes:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
The hazard right under the computer screen. Every time I rest my hand on it to look through songs or use the nav it turns on the hazards. Awful placement.

Doors DO slam easily. I'm always getting on to my husband for this, but I know it's not his fault. :blush:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doors DO slam easily. I'm always getting on to my husband for this, but I know it's not his fault. :blush:
Oh yes it is. I don't slam my door but my girlfriend always slams the passenger door. It's just a muscle memory thing. :LOL:

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
I know exactly what you mean. Whenever a passenger exits the truck and closes the door, it sounds like they are really 'slamming' it closed when they are only just giving it a push to close it. I have to bite my tongue to not yell at them to not slam it.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Very touchy power window controls, leaving the windows open just an inch or two can take several tries, at least for me.
The drive train at times can be a little unsettled in stop and go driving, nothing major but I used my 2004 Saab recently and it's a smoother drive train - probably because it's only a 5 sp tranny.

Morgan1002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger SuperCrew 4X4 301A Sport and Tech Lightning Blue
Have had the truck only a few days now but I have a few, some of which have already been mentioned. I have an XLT 301A with Sport Appearance package and technology package.

No heated seats without power seats and 302A package. Should at least be included with the XLT trim, especially in Canada.

Sync 3 is a bit slow to respond.

Halogen reflector lights aren’t the greatest.

Cant use embedded navigation when connected to Apple CarPlay. My old BMW allowed both systems to run at once.

Passenger side mirror doesn’t tilt down when in reverse.

No smart key on XLT

FueL tank capacity 68 Litres - should be 90 at least

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
I'll play! I've owned 3 previous Rangers but I'm new to the 5th gen Ranger and this forum. I have to say that the 5th gen is a huge upgrade from my previous trucks. While not a peeve since I knew what I was buying, I really liked the size of the old Rangers. But one reason for the upgrade was to get a higher tow rating, which leads me to my peeve.

I don't understand why Ford would make a big deal about how much the truck will tow, offer a tow package, but make customers buy the brake controller separate. Ford could have offered it as a part of the tow package, installed everything at the factory, and I would have gladly paid for it. It just makes no sense that you can't buy the truck already equipped.

On a different note, just an observation - I'm amazed at the peeves about the drivers side grab handle. I think my previous Ranger had them on both sides, but I honestly don't remember because I never had a use for them. I actually went out and got into my truck to see how I do it, and I really don't do much more than touch the steering wheel, and that's pretty much it. I do lean on the console both getting in and out. I did notice my daughter using both the nearly useless step and the grab handle on the passenger's side getting in.

Anyways, to each their own.
Sponsored