Permanent Rack threads on Ranger Roof?

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Frontier
Does anyone know what is under the straps of the Ranger roof? Can I take advantage of threads under the cover of the straps? On Toyota and Nissan they have threads you can mount a rack, but I am not sure what is under my Rangers roof.

upload_2019-5-7_11-33-34.png
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know what is under the straps of the Ranger roof? Can I take advantage of threads under the cover of the straps? On Toyota and Nissan they have threads you can mount a rack, but I am not sure what is under my Rangers roof.

upload_2019-5-7_11-33-34.png
Why do you need a roof rack on a pickup?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Don't know about the unicorn AKA Ranger, but on other Ford products in the past they provide a nutzert type installation kit to install roof racks on such vehicles as the Escape or Explorer.
It does install in that groove.

OP
OP
chuck schulien
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Frontier
Don't know about the unicorn AKA Ranger, but on other Ford products in the past they provide a nutzert type installation kit to install roof racks on such vehicles as the Escape or Explorer.
It does install in that groove.
That's what I was hoping for. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to take the covers off the roof without damaging them. Thanks

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was hoping for. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to take the covers off the roof without damaging them. Thanks
Before you start prying on your new truck....
Take a trip to your local junkyard and look at an old Escape or Explorer... Take a tape measure.
All things considered, you may come home with a rack AND the knowledge needed to install it.
At worst, a junkyard is always a fun place to visit!!

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
From what I can tell, they have two rivets at the front and back right by the part joint... So they're absolutely not designed to be removed, and I would expect you'd have to break them to get them off.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you need a roof rack on a pickup?
I have a 12'6" kayak. A single rack bar would be ideal. I know they sell the track in different lengths that you can install yourself....may have to go that route.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I can tell, they have two rivets at the front and back right by the part joint... So they're absolutely not designed to be removed, and I would expect you'd have to break them to get them off.
Or drill them out and get new fasteners?.;)
I haven't looked at those particular racks up close.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Im assuming you mean something like this from the ROTW Ranger wild track
Ford-Ranger-T6-Roof-Rails-Wildtrak_large.jpg

Theres another fella on here looking into it and he says the holes are there, looks like a neat idea, would still need cross bars.I cant find the thread right now.

Ive always hauled my canoes on the roof, the 17.5' kevlar tripper and a 16' roylex beater boat.

I have a bit older thule rack system that ie used with different trucks, the rack and feet you can move to any truck with the truck specific "fit kit"

Being a bit older Thule have a new system and didnt offer a fit kit for the Ranger that worked, but i was able to get one from the UK since the Ranger has been around for a while there.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Or drill them out and get new fasteners?.;)
I haven't looked at those particular racks up close.
Drilling out the rivets is fine - but how to get to them to drill them out is the question? The strip is over top of them. I'm assuming that the assembly is to align the rivets in the hole, and press the strip down, locking the rivets in place, and making it extremely difficult to take that strip off without damaging it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drilling out the rivets is fine - but how to get to them to drill them out is the question? The strip is over top of them. I'm assuming that the assembly is to align the rivets in the hole, and press the strip down, locking the rivets in place, and making it extremely difficult to take that strip off without damaging it.
What is needed is a spoon full of talent and cup of determination.
I'm sure it can be nicely done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chuck schulien
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Frontier
Before you start prying on your new truck....
Take a trip to your local junkyard and look at an old Escape or Explorer... Take a tape measure.
All things considered, you may come home with a rack AND the knowledge needed to install it.
At worst, a junkyard is always a fun place to visit!!
Awesome idea! thanks for replying
Sponsored