Not open for further replies.

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The only problem is that hole for the puddle lights isn't simply a hole, it has a lip to it where the lights snap into... maybe it won't matter... I'd take a similar piece of plastic and cut the hole then see how flush the puddle lights fit or what you might have to do to make it work.
Gotcha, I noticed a little space for the locking clip too. Great suggestion to test first! Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
PandaMotorworks

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2017 Titan 2008 Ford Focus 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
High Beam is in development. Engineer Team is finalizing the dampener then on the dust covers!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
PandaMotorworks

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2017 Titan 2008 Ford Focus 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
Pricing is TBD

Thank you

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Received my bag of goodies today! Thanks for your help during ordering @PandaMotorworks :D

fQZKvdv.jpg

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I will try that this weekend and report back, thanks for the suggestion!
20190810_132257.jpg
20190810_132309.jpg
20190810_132317.jpg
so I didn't find any wiring that looked like something I could plug in to. There were a couple wires but none going to the puddle light location.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I had decided on Diode Dynamics SL1 low-beam headlamps for the Ranger that we took delivery on in early August. As part of an email exchange with a very helpful tech support person at Diode Dynamics, when he discovered that the vehicle I was getting them for was a 2019 Ranger, he checked with the technical staff and replied that while the SL1s were able to be fitted in earlier 2019 Ranger XLTs by rotating the collars, they have not been able to get them to fit in the passenger side of newer trucks. This is a basic fit issue in the housing, not having anything to do with the dust cover, which is a separate issue affecting all Rangers.

Since most of the SL1 related posts here are from April or earlier, I am wondering if anyone has tried them in a more recent vehicle, built in the last couple months? I don't doubt the conclusion of the Diode Dynamics tech staff, and I was about to order a different brand, but I thought I would do a quick post here first and see if there might be some workarounds that people who have bought them have figured out for more recent trucks.

I'm also wondering if there might be something else at play, such as variation in the headlamp housings. Maybe Ford source them from more than one vendor and perhaps some of them make for a more difficult fitment than others, or something like that..

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
I had decided on Diode Dynamics SL1 low-beam headlamps for the Ranger that we took delivery on in early August. As part of an email exchange with a very helpful tech support person at Diode Dynamics, when he discovered that the vehicle I was getting them for was a 2019 Ranger, he checked with the technical staff and replied that while the SL1s were able to be fitted in earlier 2019 Ranger XLTs by rotating the collars, they have not been able to get them to fit in the passenger side of newer trucks. This is a basic fit issue in the housing, not having anything to do with the dust cover, which is a separate issue affecting all Rangers.

Since most of the SL1 related posts here are from April or earlier, I am wondering if anyone has tried them in a more recent vehicle, built in the last couple months? I don't doubt the conclusion of the Diode Dynamics tech staff, and I was about to order a different brand, but I thought I would do a quick post here first and see if there might be some workarounds that people who have bought them have figured out for more recent trucks.

I'm also wondering if there might be something else at play, such as variation in the headlamp housings. Maybe Ford source them from more than one vendor and perhaps some of them make for a more difficult fitment than others, or something like that..
My Issue was definitely the headlight housings and having to rotate the collars precisely to fit. To this day the fitment still feels a bit off on the SL1 Low Beams but I was able to make it work. Running no dust covers tho I probably need to do a check on them soon to ensure nothing got in.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
My Issue was definitely the headlight housings and having to rotate the collars precisely to fit. To this day the fitment still feels a bit off on the SL1 Low Beams but I was able to make it work. Running no dust covers tho I probably need to do a check on them soon to ensure nothing got in.
Is the problem that there is no good way to get the LEDs themselves to be 100% vertically aligned (or horizontally, depending on whether you're talking about the LEDs themselves or the PC board they are mounted on) by rotating the collar?

I took a look yesterday and noticed that, at least on the passenger side where the tech support person said the biggest problem is, the existing lamp is both pretty off-center and pretty far back relative to the dust cover opening.

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
Is the problem that there is no good way to get the LEDs themselves to be 100% vertically aligned (or horizontally, depending on whether you're talking about the LEDs themselves or the PC board they are mounted on) by rotating the collar?

I took a look yesterday and noticed that, at least on the passenger side where the tech support person said the biggest problem is, the existing lamp is both pretty off-center and pretty far back relative to the dust cover opening.
Yep exactly the problem. There is no way I have been able to get them to be 100% vertical. I really love the look and haven't taken them out but the beam pattern just seems off which is disappointing to say the least.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yep exactly the problem. There is no way I have been able to get them to be 100% vertical. I really love the look and haven't taken them out but the beam pattern just seems off which is disappointing to say the least.
Okay, thanks. That might settle the issue then. There are some other fairly well-reviewed ones on the market which have the fan at the back and are therefore completely round, with only the wire placing some minor restrictions on the mounting angle. They're probably not quite as good as the Diode Dynamics ones, but I have them installed in our old '93 Ranger and I've been pretty happy with them.

I'll probably try those and if it works out well, I'll post back here.

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, thanks. That might settle the issue then. There are some other fairly well-reviewed ones on the market which have the fan at the back and are therefore completely round, with only the wire placing some minor restrictions on the mounting angle. They're probably not quite as good as the Diode Dynamics ones, but I have them installed in our old '93 Ranger and I've been pretty happy with them.

I'll probably try those and if it works out well, I'll post back here.
Sounds good! Also sounds like from Panda Motorworks they are going to get to designing the dust covers once they are done with the tailgate assist/damper.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds good! Also sounds like from Panda Motorworks they are going to get to designing the dust covers once they are done with the tailgate assist/damper.
Yeah, Panda are great, they are working hard to fill in some of the gaps in the Ranger experience. I'm waiting to hear back from them before I make a final decision.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.