OUCH!

V1KT3R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Why the obsession with factory glass?

I've had windshields replaced. I'm sure they didn't use "factory glass."

Never noticed a problem. Matter of fact, in my experience aftermarket glass holds up better than factory. My FiST, and my wife's CX-5 both needed windshields within the first few months of ownership from chips that cracked out. Aftermarket glass has lasted on both of them multiple years, not one chip.

Do you guys really think Ford makes glass? Nope. They contract it out to companies like Carlex, who also makes Carlite, aftermarket glass.

Ford hasn't made their own glass for decades.

Also, in my experience safety equipment may or may not need to be recalibrated after replacement. If it does the vehicle should tell you it's needed. At least that's how it worked on the wife's Mazda.​
I personally feel if I am paying you or in this case if I am paying my insurance to replace damage to my vehicle, it better be OEM. Secondly I take pride in owning a ranger (call me what you like) but I want that "RANGER" etched into my glass. Also if my truck is still under warranty any parts replaced need to be OEM typically to maintain the warranty. If an aftermarket glass fails prematurely the warranty isn't going cover it or other components it may have damaged. The US has some of the strictest standards on windshield safety, so I honestly do not see there being a big difference between OEM and aftermarket glass "strength" but I could be wrong on that part.
Sponsored

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
That's really a bummer man. Would this be covered by a bumper-to-bumper? I know my insurance gives me a free windshield replacement, but I've been dreading a chip/crack because I love the factory glass with the little "Ranger" accent at the bottom. Hopefully if Ford will replace it, they'll put one back in with this nice little touch.
I just found that Ranger accent. I didn't forget my glasses this time.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I personally feel if I am paying you or in this case if I am paying my insurance to replace damage to my vehicle, it better be OEM. Secondly I take pride in owning a ranger (call me what you like) but I want that "RANGER" etched into my glass. Also if my truck is still under warranty any parts replaced need to be OEM typically to maintain the warranty. If an aftermarket glass fails prematurely the warranty isn't going cover it or other components it may have damaged. The US has some of the strictest standards on windshield safety, so I honestly do not see there being a big difference between OEM and aftermarket glass "strength" but I could be wrong on that part.
In most cases there is literally no difference between "factory" windshields and aftermarket glass.

The only time it makes a difference is on a collectors car.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Here in Western Colorado, we have the dreaded chip seal, on everything.

I had my State Farm Agent include premium glass coverage. Replaces glass with OEM for anything larger that a silver dollar, no deductible. Not sure how they'd know, cause I haven't seen one of those in years. A chip is repaired free, and I have the right to reject the repair if it's not optically good. I automatically reject anything in the whipper path.

I think I've only had one vehicle in 24 years living here that didn't at some point get a new windshield. Some of them have had two or three.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Why the obsession with factory glass?

I've had windshields replaced. I'm sure they didn't use "factory glass."

Never noticed a problem. Matter of fact, in my experience aftermarket glass holds up better than factory. My FiST, and my wife's CX-5 both needed windshields within the first few months of ownership from chips that cracked out. Aftermarket glass has lasted on both of them multiple years, not one chip.

Do you guys really think Ford makes glass? Nope. They contract it out to companies like Carlex, who also makes Carlite, aftermarket glass.

Ford hasn't made their own glass for decades.

Also, in my experience safety equipment may or may not need to be recalibrated after replacement. If it does the vehicle should tell you it's needed. At least that's how it worked on the wife's Mazda.​
Ford makes all their own glass for every model ever sold in the states outside of Nashville TN. They also in same factory make all the glass for Nissan.

My father in law worked in that plant for 33 years. Got the royal tour once and it was fascinating

Correction: time flies! That tour was 25 years ago. Since then Ford sold off the factory. They still make auto glass there for Ford though.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ford makes all their own glass for every model ever sold in the states outside of Nashville TN. They also in same factory make all the glass for Nissan.

My father in law worked in that plant for 33 years. Got the royal tour once and it was fascinating

Correction: time flies! That tour was 25 years ago. Since then Ford sold off the factory. They still make auto glass there for Ford though.
Yep.

Sold to Carlex who makes Carlite windshields right alongside the "Ford" ones.
Sponsored