Ordered 255/75R17 - Crazy?

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Please tell me I'm not crazy and these should fit!

I ordered 255/75R17 in TA KO2 to go with the 2" Ford lift. From what I can find here, I'll be okay... But please tell me if I'm wrong so I can go a different route.

For reference...
265/65R17 (stock) = 30 1/2”
265/70R17 = 31 1/2"
255/75R17 = 32"
Sponsored

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
32” fits with a leveling kit and crash bars removed
My hope is the narrower tread will allow me to keep the crash bars that wouldn't fit with the 285s. Another guy here did the 255 tires with no lift, but could hardly put a BIC lighter in the gap. I'm afraid it's too narrow for my offroading, but hope the lift will help make up the difference. I just don't want to find out I'm wrong after they're purchased!

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I have 235/85 16 (32") on my truck, stock steel wheels and crash bars in place, there is still a ton of room.

I don't think you'll have any issues with 255/75 17 on stock wheels with the crash bars in place.

Also, IMO, narrower tires are better for offroading, I think your tire choice is great.

Rangerado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
My hope is the narrower tread will allow me to keep the crash bars that wouldn't fit with the 285s. Another guy here did the 255 tires with no lift, but could hardly put a BIC lighter in the gap. I'm afraid it's too narrow for my offroading, but hope the lift will help make up the difference. I just don't want to find out I'm wrong after they're purchased!
that would be me with the bic pics. Several members have fit 255/75R17

My truck is stock height, with stock wheels, and no modifications to the crash bars or anything. there is no rubbing.

part of the reason i chose duratracs in this size is because their tread is narrower than other tires of the same section width and aspect ratio.

The need for wide tires is exaggerated on a truck of this weight. Narrow tires grip well because the pressure per square inch of contact patch is higher on a narrower tread.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
that would be me with the bic pics. Several members have fit 255/75R17

My truck is stock height, with stock wheels, and no modifications to the crash bars or anything. there is no rubbing.

part of the reason i chose duratracs in this size is because their tread is narrower than other tires of the same section width and aspect ratio.

The need for wide tires is exaggerated on a truck of this weight. Narrow tires grip well because the pressure per square inch of contact patch is higher on a narrower tread.
How about on sand and snow?

Rangerado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
Airing down narrow tires lengthens the contact patch and increases surface area in a rectangular shape, like a track. Wider tires have a squarer footprint and larger rolling resistance for the same surface area.

Not all sand is created equal. It comes down to the grain shape. Beach sand is easy to drive over compared to dusty sand in southern utah, where 35s might be necessary to go everywhere.

Also for what snow purpose? To float, you see the glacier crawler rigs with huge diameter and cross section. On the road, a narrow tread increases snow traction by minimizing floatation, giving the tire a chance to sink down and bite into what is underneath.

Rangerado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
I also want to emphasize that the gap I demonstrated with the lighter is at full lock, and the lighter is placed in the worst spots. The clearance is better by inches in all other steering positions.
There is still room for snow chains on the rear tires.

a lift would not actually change the possibility of rubbing in this case, because it will still articulate through the same range.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
... The need for wide tires is exaggerated on a truck of this weight. Narrow tires grip well because the pressure per square inch of contact patch is higher on a narrower tread.
You'd be surprised. One of the best vehicles ever built for handling really bad conditions is a Model T Ford. Of course back then it was a necessity, not an off-roading hobby thing.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
also look at the ridiculously narrow tires rally cars run for snow racing. I don't know if there's much of a better example for the benefit of narrow tires in snow.... unless you're driving in the arctic.
5209_polo-snowbank-sweden-2015_555_592x333.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
also look at the ridiculously narrow tires rally cars run for snow racing. I don't know if there's much of a better example for the benefit of narrow tires in snow.... unless you're driving in the arctic.
5209_polo-snowbank-sweden-2015_555_592x333.jpg
Those are studded on the rally car...but I'm wondering if there's any use for my fat 285/70-17?

GSaff

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL FX4; 2018 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
I have the Rough Country 2.5" level kit and am running 255/80R17. They are 33". I would think you'll be fine with your setup.
Sponsored