Odd noise when HVAC fan is on high.

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
Last week I took my Ranger in to get its third oil change and tire rotation at Sunnyvale Ford (where I got it). They suggested I also have them swap out the cabin filter so I said "sure". I spent my last Fordpass $$ so now I'm on my own for these (likely will start doing them myself). Anyway, a couple of days later I noticed this whirring sound of sorts when the fan was on high or the second from the highest speed. Took it back this morning and they took it apart and said they found leaves in there and that was causing the noise. The conclusion seems to be that leaves got in there somehow and likely made their way down to fan after swapping out the cabin filter.

So if you swap out your cabin filter pay special attention to make sure nothing falls in there.

peterb
Sponsored

OP
OP

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
that should be pretty basic procedure for a tech to do whenever they are in there.
baffles me why a quick look wasnt done in the first place....woulda saved everyone the extra wasted time.
Yea, I would have assumed. I actually stopped by on Friday afternoon and they pulled out the filter and reached in there and said they didn't find anything so they asked me to come back on Monday so they could pull it apart. They spent about 90 minutes pulling it apart and finding the leaves so I think they opened up the plenum where the fan is and found the leaves.

peterb